Creative/new ideas for grading MS Math

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Mack, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Mack

Mack New Member

Mar 29, 2008

I am a third-year middle school math teacher that is looking for a new and creative way to grade daily work. I don't think it's fair to check the students' homework and grade them on the score they received when homework is considered the "practice." However, I've tried a credit/no credit system and the kids don't put forth as much effort because they know that if they just do the assignment, they will get credit. Any ideas?

3. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I also do not agree with grading the math homework that is practice and it sems the majority of times students just copy anyway. To keep our students on track, the math teacher in my team gives weekly quizes. This allows our students to know that they have to keep up with the practice in order to do well on the weekly quiz. We also have a reward system in which students get a "checkmark" for not having thier daily practice completed - a checkmark means you do not get the 15 minutes of "outside" time after lunch.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 29, 2008

A while back I got the idea for a relay race in a post here. I've used it many times and the students LOVE it. I started using the races as an incentive...only students who've done their homework (and actually did it..no copying) get to participate.

To answer the "how do you know who did it?" question, before they I always spot check skills...I call them out if I think they didn't do it...they usually sheepishly admit to not having really done it.

5. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

Next year I plan on assigning problems/worksheets that already have the answers. They just have to show their work to tell me how they got the answer. I don't know how well this will go with 7th graders, but well see. Or, what I may do, is assign the problems, and give an answer key where the answers aren't in order, but at least they are there. I'm also going to give a weekly quiz based on the homework, where I'll take one homework assignment from each night and put it on the quiz.