creative ideas for review games in any subject

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HufflePuff, Oct 15, 2008.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 15, 2008

I am trying to think of clever review game ideas to prepare students for a test. Any ideas of fun ways students can review?

3. mustang sally

mustang sally Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

My kids love Jeopardy and Who wants to be a Millionaire?. Takes a few minutes to load your review material, but I have found it really pays big dividends.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 15, 2008

I play review basketball with my class. Divide the class into two teams and put lines on the floor at one end of the room marked 10, 20, 30. Put an empty trash can at the other end of the room. Teams line up on different sides of me and take turns answering questions. If the answer is correct they get 10 points and can shoot for additional points. If they make it they get the number of points on the line in front of their front foot. If not they go to the end of the line. My kids love this game. Other teachers in my building play similar games but with golf, bowling, and shuffle quarters (think shuffle board on the floor with quarters.)

5. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 15, 2008

RWS, I play this game, too! The students call it Trashketball.

I just heard about a cool review game today:

1. Split the class into two teams and have the students stand at their seats. Let's just call each team Team A and Team B. Each team should be seated in a way that it is clear who is on which team.

2. The teacher asks one student on Team A a review question. If they get the answer correct, they get to tell one student on the other team to sit down. That student has to remain seated and can't answer any questions while they are seated.

3. Then a student on Team B gets a chance to answer a question. If that students gets the right answer they can either tell a student on the other team to sit OR get one of the seated students on their own team to stand back up, so the eliminated students can always rejoin the game.

4. The team with the most standing students at the end of the game is the winner!

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 15, 2008

Ooh cool thread! I play a couple review games with my kiddos. One is the "fly swatter" game. Right now we're working on letter names and sounds. I printed out two sets of the alphabet and taped them up on the wall. Imagine the wall cut in half. Tape up the same answers on both sides. It's like a racing game. The class forms two lines. The two in front get fly swatters with holes cut in the middle. I put a blue tape line on the floor as a "start line." The students in front stand on the start line, swatters in hand, and I'll ask a question like so: "This letter makes the 'b' sound. GO!" The two students run up to the answers and try to swat the correct one before the other student does. They LOVE it. I've played this game with several different classes. After you tell them that if they swat a friend they're out - they don't do it. They want to play.

Game 2 involves paper airplanes and a hula hoop. Have each student make a paper airplane. (Again, if a student tosses his plane before the game starts - he's out. They won't do it. They want to play.) Line the students up, sitting on the floor. They should be holding their airplane. Starting with the first student, ask them any review question you can think of. If they get the answer correct, they get to try to throw their plane through the hula hoop that you hold up in front of them. If they get the answer right AND get their plane through the hoop, they score one point. (Someone needs to keep a tally on the board.) Student with most points wins a prize.

I've always played these games with approx ten students. For larger classes, split them up into teams and have them take turns.

Kids no longer moan when I tell them it's time for review!

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 15, 2008

Relay races: You make several posters/dry erase boards with similar problems/concepts and divide the class into teams. The first person goes up and answers any question he/she wants, then hands the marker to the next person who does the same thing. You go around to the different groups and erase any wrong answers. The first team to get them all right wins.

"boys vs. girls": You have two copies of the same review sheet. Draw a line down the center of the board and seperate the class into boys and girls (or any division works, really, but my classes love the boys and girls division). Each "team" chooses a person to go to the board. You wait until they are ready and tell them the problem number then hand them the review sheet at the same time. The first person to finish the problem correctly earns a point for their team.

Bingo and Jeapordy are also favorites.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 15, 2008

HufflePuff, I have a sort of "rolodex" of review ideas that I have collected over the years and typed into boxes. I cut them apart and glue them onto index cards, then bind them together like a rolodex. I keep it on my desk at all times (it also has partnering techniques and state changes, and I am working on a section of vocabulary strategies, and content area reading strategies). If you pm me your email, I'll send it to you.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2008

This post has inspired me! I'm going to make a rolodex of review games like you said for part of the gift basket for my student teacher. I've already started with some of the ideas on here! So I'm going to PM you also!

10. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 16, 2008

wow! thanks so much for your insight everyone!

11. luvnmath

luvnmath New Member

Sep 4, 2013

I'm new to this site and am not sure how I can PM you, but I would love to get a copy of these ideas you have. Can you tell me how to PM you?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2013

kcjo, is your "rolodex" a Word document? Or could you make it a pdf? If so, there might be a way to attach it to this thread for sharing.

13. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

All you have to do is click on the person's name and select "send private message". You have to be logged on to do it.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 5, 2013

Hello folks...notice the date of this thread, it was 2008! I haven't taught in over a year now, so I'm not sure if I still have this document. I can look later...