Creative Flowerpot Ideas?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, May 3, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 3, 2009

I like to have my students plant a flower for Mother's Day. The past few years I have been planting them in plastic cups- each kid gets 2 cups and a piece of paper. They draw on the paper and write "I Love You Mom," and then I slip the paper between the cups. It's cute and cheap, but I'm bored of it. Any cute flowerpot ideas that I can do for this year? Whatever I buy has to be out of pocket, and I need 36 of them.

3. Lead Teacher

Lead Teacher Rookie

May 3, 2009

They (Oriental Trading, but maybe a local store, too) have small biodegradable flower pots that can be planted right into the ground. The children decorate it with markers and then plant the seeds or flower.
    My boyfriend's son made me a cute gift on year for Mother's Day. Take a mini clay pot, put clay/Play-Doh in the bottom (just a little), then: have the children each cut out the center and petals of a flower and glue them onto a popsicle stick and stick it into the Play-Doh (it will harden to keep the stick there); then on the center of the flower, glue a cut out picture of the child's face. It is a wonderful keepsake, in my opinion.

4. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

May 3, 2009

I love this idea!!!

5. Lead Teacher

Lead Teacher Rookie

May 3, 2009

Thank you! He made it for me about 10 years ago and will be graduating this year. I still cherish it, even though it is a bit faded...:)

6. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

May 3, 2009

I use this:

http://www.pre-kpages.com/mothers.html
    (scroll down to the flowerpot)

Instead of foam I have my students paint a flower cut out and then laminate it with their picture in it. They paint the craft sticks green, and I use the clay pots for them to decorate. They turn out very cute!

7. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

May 4, 2009

Play-dough, yes! How did I not think of it!
    I'm currently working on exact same thing, only the pot I'm copying from has something fancy inside for the flowers to stick (flower foam I think it's called). Oh, what a messy thing it turned out to be. Play-dough sounds much simpler and cleaner. Thanks, LeadTeacher

8. K1teach

K1teach Companion

May 4, 2009

I do something very similar with my kids! I have them decorate a pot, put clay in it and then stick a popsicle stick in it. I hot glue a clothespin painted green to the stick and it is a recipe holder. I usually do an ellison flower cut out with their picture in the middle on the clothespin too. This year we even had time to have the students write a recipe for a great mom.

9. Janet Sue

Janet Sue Rookie

May 6, 2009

I buy the terra cotta flower pots. Then I have my students take red paint and make fingerprints all over the pot. I outline their fingerprints with a clack marker. They add dots inside the fingerprints and antennas. Their fingerprints then become ladybugs. I write Happy Mother's Day on the rim of the flowerpot and they write their name. I have the children add beans to the pot. I help them wrap a pen with floral tape and an artificial flower and then they put it in the pot. It turns out real cute!!

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 6, 2009

This is soooo cute, I decided to scrap my planting idea and go with this idea, thank you so much!! I bought all my materials last night, it was less than a dollar apiece.

Would you mind sharing your "Recipe for a Great Mom?" I don't think that would work to make one with my little guys, but the idea is fantastic. I scanned the internet for one, figuring there would be an abundance, but I can't seem to find anything!

11. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 14, 2009

I know it's too late for this year, but AC Moore sells the little terra cotta pots REALLY cheap at least once in the month before Mother's Day. Last year, I bought the next-to-smallest size and I believe they were 5 for $1. I had the kids paint them with acrylics (look for a 3 or 4 for $1 sale) and filled each pot with plaster of paris. I stuck a pen cap in the plaster of paris, and we glued a flower to the bottom of a pen. So, once it's dried, you put the pen in the cap, and you have a little flowerpot pen for your desk. Really cute! I ended up making them for the teachers too.

For me, the trick is to keep an eye on the AC Moore sales circulars in March and April; I spend about $12 for my class of 15, plus extras for teachers. (I use a 40% off coupon for the plaster of paris.)