Creative Fall Student Work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Oct 14, 2012

I usually have my students write a personal narrative during this time of year about a time when they were scared. We attach them to yellow, orange, or black construction paper, and I've got a cat head and tail template that gets attached to the top and bottom of the paper. We call these our "Scaredy Cat" stories and they make a cute hallway display during parent-teacher conferences.

I'm looking for something new this year! Does anyone have anything fall or Halloween related that makes a cute hallway display? I need something for third grade! Thanks for any ideas.

3. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 14, 2012

We do something similar, but a little different.

First, we all make our own pumpkins. There is a basic outline we all use, but the kids can get creative with the face. After creating the face, the kids write a story about their pumpkin face.

I explain the whole project before they start, so they can make the face fit the story if need be. It's a fun assignment and the kids get really creative. When they are finished, we display them in the classroom.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 15, 2012

I don't have a suggestion [SORRY!], but THANK YOU for this adorable idea!!!

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2012

We write fall poems using a framework I found a long time ago (in a mailbox magazine, maybe?). Anyway, it's like
    "When is Fall?
    When /adj/ /noun/ /verb/,
    and /adj/ /n/ /v/.

When /adj/ /n/ /v/
    and /adj/ /n/ v/.
    Then it is fall!"

They always turn out really neat! I like to do them across several seasons and then put them together at the end of the year.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2012

OMG, amakaye, can I steal this, please please please? If I add in a few different parts of speech, it'll be a perfect culmination of our part of speech review.

7. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 15, 2012

We are doing fact family and extended fact families in math right now.

They made "Haunted" fact family houses, and I had them do the extended fact families as a pumpkin patch; one leaf is one fact like 9+3, the pumpkin is the next 90+30, and the next leaf is 900+300.

They also decorated the pumpkins they made and drew on the fact family houses; we used black paper with white chalk. It's a cute display and also shows off their work in math. :)