creative decorations needed!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ovwe, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Ovwe

Ovwe Rookie

Jul 21, 2016

Please I need to decorate my classroom for the new session. Any creative idea will help.
    PS: we are usually given just colourful cardboard papers to use in the decoration. I need help please cos its my first time in the classroom as a teacher. Thanks!

3. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 21, 2016

What grade will you be teaching?
    This is my first year as well and I have decided on a color scheme for my classroom (rather than a theme) This has made it easy for me to find and make items for my class.
    I have a calendar wall (monthly calendar, weather/season, days in school) , word wall, student work display, interactive birthday graph, Class Dojo display, classroom library, expectations and objectives posters...
    I don't have a lot of "decorations" but all of my things are colorful with hints of burlap which visually ties together my classroom.

4. Ovwe

Ovwe Rookie

Jul 21, 2016

Thanks Cocobean! I'll be teaching Grade 2. Please can I see a picture of how your class deco looks like? Thumbs up!!!

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2016

czacza likes this.
  6. Ms. Marcy

Ms. Marcy Rookie

Jul 21, 2016

You can do a theme or not. I never have done a themed room. I find paper table cloths are easy, cheap, and colorful for wall background. They take up lots of wall space and are easy to store. If you are keeping it simple with themes, dots work well. Go to places like K-mart. College students are getting ready to buy for their dorm rooms. A lot of those goods transfer to the classroom. Specifically, carpets and pillows (for a reading corner). Look in your staff room. Oftentimes, veteran teachers clean out their rooms and perhaps there's a "free" table on campus. Also, don't be afraid of the butcher paper. Twisting and turning it can create great displays. Making a tree trunk and branches works well with butcher paper. Find dollar store leaves and hang them from the tree. It's often tempting to buy all the dollar store plastic bins. I try to reduce my impact by going to yard sales. You can find great items and ideas at a yard sale. I started my classroom library from yard sales. I'd tell the seller that I'm a teacher and that I'm interested in buying a lot of the books at the sale, but I can't afford more than __ per book (often I say .10-.20 cents.) Ask if they're interested in you stopping by later in the day to see what's left and if they will make a deal. Almost always the answer is yes. In fact, they often give away things. Hope this helps.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 22, 2016

I can't help with the decorations and theme - so not my thing. However, best tip I ever got was to put up sheets as the BB cover/back drop, and then just add what you want on top. Some BB can be covered with a crib sized fitted sheet, others need something else. Go to thrift stores, garage sales, rummage your own linen closet. A sheet can last an entire school year, and it prevents having to put up the long pieces of paper - my least favorite part. Stands up to staples, doesn't tear, and makes revamping the BB easier. I know some teachers buy fabric to do this with, but you can find sheets cheaper than you can buy the fabric, so I use the cheapest - it leaves more money in my checking account.

burgandy01 likes this.
  8. Ms. Marcy

Ms. Marcy Rookie

Jul 23, 2016

Sheets! Great idea. Kind of along the same lines as tablecloths. The paper cloths withstand a lot of wear and tear, and they're usually bordered with colorful designs. I've used pillowcases before as well...I found one with hieroglyphs on it, and I had to get it for my classroom.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2016

Liquid starch works well to hang the material for your bb. Wet the fabric in the starch. Put one pin in the middle top, spread out, and let dry. It'll stay up all year.

vickilyn likes this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2016

Look on Pinterest. You'll find lots of ideas for classroom decor you can easily create!