creative biographies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dunwool, May 6, 2008.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

May 6, 2008

I am a first year teacher and I am having my high school math classes to biographies on famous mathematicians. I really want them to have more options that just writing a boring paper, especially since it will be more entertaining to grade :), but I can't really find any ideas for high school students. Everything I have found is geared toward elementary and I don't want the students to think I am belittling their ideas or treating them like kids. Any ideas? Any links or activities that work well? Thanks for the help!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 6, 2008

Maybe they can create an interview with a mathematician, and "record" it, create a Wanted poster, a brochure....

4. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 6, 2008

What about a "myspace" page or a podcast?

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 6, 2008

or create a resume for a mathematician.

6. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 6, 2008

I'm not sure if this is too young for high school students but I have my kids create a scrapbook of the person. They usually have a lot of fun with it...but again I've only used it with 5th and 4th grade. :confused: I have them break the scrapbook into different parts:

Birth - they make a birth certificate
    Young Years
    Middle Years
    Older Years
    Timeline of their life
    Sign of the times - show pictures of what people would have wore during this time period
    A dream interview - what questions would they ask this person if they had a chance
    Summing It all up - I have the students write some paragraphs wrapping up what they learned.

The creative ones really get into it and create some stunning projects. And it's different from the standard report.
    If you didn't do a scrapbook, perhaps the kids could do a poster instead. Or give them a choice between the two.

Good luck! ;)

7. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

May 7, 2008

I teach 6th grade but I think this would work for HS. Students made a newsletter with different articles about math. They had to include a biography, current news in math, spotlight on a career in math, interesting facts/information on a number, and wrote a brain teaser. This was part of a unit called Mathletes.