creating jump rope routines

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PEteacher07, Dec 20, 2009.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Dec 20, 2009

I was thinking of having my older students (3rd,4th,5th) create and perform their own jumprope routines. I have NEVER done anything like this before, but this has been the year that I have tried a lot of new things and some ideas have worked and some haven't.

My assistant and I would assign the kids to teams for sure. My 5th grade boys are a pain in my backside so if I could split them up with different kids they normally don't hang with, they might actually stay on task. I have also considering taking the kids who are goofing off (I know there will be some) and sending them to the library to write a report on jump roping for a couple of days instead of being in the gym with their friends. Spending 2 days in the library would be boring!!

How many kids should be in a group? I have 80+ kids in my 3rd and 5th grade classes and almost 70 in my 4th grade classes. If I do too many small groups my assistant and I will be running around like crazy trying to help people. If I did groups that were too big, it might be hard for them to decide on leadership positions and come to mutual agreements on what to do.

How much time should they dedicate to their daily 45 minutes classes with me to this project? I still want to have time to play a game or two so they get some good exercise.

How long should it take for them to pull this together? A couple of weeks? I might give them a choice of choosing their own music from a list so they can personalize the whole thing.

For a reward for best routines (5th grade), I would video the kids performing their routine and forward the video (or videos) to the mom who is in charge of making the end of school year slide-show and have it shown to everyone. My 4th graders are doing my spring PTA program so they might not get to do this unit at all due to working on the program. My 3rd graders are my best double dutch group in the school. They picked it up in 1st grade and never looked back. I know they would LOVE to do this.

We are going to be stuck in gym until the weather warms up to go outside so mixing it up might be fun! Thoughts??

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

Sounds like a great idea. Wow, 80+ kids at one time, my hat is off to you!

How many jump ropes do you have? Are they doing double dutch? If so about 8 kifd. Regular jump rope, I'm thinking most ideally four to a group, but that's ideal.

What a fun idea, I think the kids will love it.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2009

I can't help you with the how long, how much questions but I can say that jumping rope is one of the most beneficial forms of exercise. And it can be fun....... perhaps not as much fun as participating in a ladies kick boxing class at the gym....:p:p

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 21, 2009

We did jump rope routines in HS gym and had 4 in our groups, if it help.

6. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Dec 21, 2009

I am used to huge classes. At least all my kids get to come to PE everyday!

I am giving them a choice. They might decide to do a mixture of both short ropes, long ropes, and double dutch. I have TONS of short ropes but there might need to be some sharing with long ropes.

I am worried that 4 students which would be 20 groups would be overwhelming for my assistant and I if the kids needed help with things. Plus that would be 20 jump rope routines for us to have to watch. It would take FOREVER!!!

7. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Dec 22, 2009

Is there any way you could have certain students working on the routines while others are playing games and they are assigned certain things each day? Or could you split the big group into two separate groups - one in games and the other doing routines - each day and flip flop halfway through class or the next day? I don't know if you have the space to do both or if it would even work for you to do that...just trying to get some ideas flowing. :) Good luck! This sounds like a GREAT project for the kids!

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2009

It is great they get PE everyday. Mine did for over 20 years and then 5 years ago I had to do two schools so they all get me every other day. Do you do JRFH? I would love to have seen your 1st graders double dutch. That had to be amazing.

9. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Dec 23, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions about splitting the gym up. Our gym is one of the bigger elementary gyms in the distict and we could probably pull that off. One teacher working with 7-8 groups at a time seems much more manageable.

We don't do any PE fundraisers. Many of the parents complain about being fundraised the heck out of through student counsel, United Way, etc. Adding another one to the list would really make a lot of people mad.

Those 1st graders are now in 3rd grader and they can do so much more with their double dutch skills. I am trying to figure out more stuff to try to teach them so they don't get bored!