Creating Classroom Rules

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SunShinePumper, Aug 26, 2007.

1. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

If you create rules as a class when do you do this? My fellow third grade teachers are waiting until the third day of school to sit down and write out class rules. I was planning on doing it the first day. They will be going over procedures but wont have official rules until the end of the week.

I'm worried that this might create problems. Last year I had fifth graders testing me from the first day.

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 26, 2007

I'll be doing it the first day this year as a class activity and by the end of the week they will be narrowed down to six or seven rules and posted in the room.

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

I will probably do them on day 2 or 3...also this year we are making a class mission statement instead of rules.

5. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

I don't do them the first day - But some time in the first week or so. Usually there are school rules in place, so you can fall back on those if the need is there. I don't have many first day testers...usually a teacher look,etc. is enough for the ones that do decide to test me.

6. lily han

lily han Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

How can student pay attention in class

create rules as a classs is very important, this is decide how is your class going? in class, you can walk around a lot when group work is taking place. Ask questions about the work. What's your title? Tell about the pictures. Show genuine interest. Give positive feedback. Before giving any corrections, start with praise. if there is sufficient time and materials, make an appropriate card. (Get well,Congratulations, Hope you enjoyed the each student is working and not waiting for his/her turn to write something in the big card.
    In summary, interactivity and keeping students on track are keys to a well-behaved class.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 27, 2007

I don't do them the first day either. We get to know one another and the procedures first. Also, having some good perimeters around the rules is a good idea... such as keep the rules general, stated in the positive, and aimed at specific things- like taking care of each other, our things, and ourselves. Otherwise your rules will be "no hitting, biting, kicking, spitting, etc." Take those ideas, and say, "these all seem to tell me you want to make sure no one gets hurt at school... can we say, 'take care of each other' instead?" or however you want to word this.

The First Six Weeks of School is a great book for this.