Create baby gift?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, May 18, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 18, 2012

Creative baby gift?

A teacher from my old school, who was on my team for 3 years, is having a baby in July. She had a very difficult time getting pregnant, and there were a lot of ups and downs in the years that we worked together. I would like to get her a little something, but I'm not sure what to do. Here are some details:

-This is her 3rd child (first with her new husband), and she is in her 40's.
    -They have a lot of money, just built a (huge) new house, she goes shopping all the time-one of those people that has everything
    -She is a bit of a "granola," but, at the same time, loves Coach and brand names
    -She is having a girl

I don't want to get her a gift card, books, or any baby essentials. Maybe a cute, unique outfit? I was going to check Pinterest for ideas, too. Anything creative that you have seen at showers?

Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 18, 2012

I have a friend whose husband makes a lot of money and they basically had everything picked out (he had read ever consumer report on every baby product you could think of) and bought before the shower, even. I have to admit that it was fun to go baby shopping and not have that little nagging voice in the back of your head saying "Yeah, but they don't really NEED that." I just went and browsed and bought stuff I thought was cute.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 18, 2012

How about something for the two she already has? This might be a hard time for them with a new baby and her new husband. Sounds like she can get anything she wants for the new baby, but someone thinking about the siblings might help.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 18, 2012

This is a good idea. I am the oldest and I remember getting a couple big sister gifts at a shower before my first sibling was born. It definitely made me feel special!

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 18, 2012

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 18, 2012

I always embroidery a special blanket with the child's name, birth date, weight, and height on it.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

Something nice for mom after she gets home.

We have gotten the embroider or handmade blanket, hat, sweater. It's always nice and something that the kids love for many years.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 18, 2012

I loved having these photo stickers to track my kids over the first year http://pickysticky.com/. Some cute books for the baby and then for each of the older siblings would be cute too.

11. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 18, 2012

I second the idea of something for the other two children. Depending on their age, a cute little bag with coloring books and crayons or something along those line. This will make them happy and keep them occupied.
    If you do clothes pick an outfit in a bigger size :)

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 19, 2012

Of course, if mom is in her 40s, other kids could easily be in their 20s. That's how I was for my mom's last kid.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 19, 2012

I second the dinner idea, even if it's not the night she comes home. We did that for a co-worker. Just check for food preferences/allergies.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 19, 2012

My favorite baby shower gift my mom got for my little sister was a cute red dress with white sleeves and it had her name embroider on it.

My grandmother just made my SIL a cute quilt. She made one for my brother when he was born. His mom said she still has it.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 20, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful ideas, everyone!

Now I have to decide. :)