Create a smartboars with a Wii contoller

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, May 22, 2011.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 22, 2011

I went to the Maker Faire here in CA yesterday-it's a giant invention convention. There was a man who has figured how to make an interactive smartboard with a laptop, projector, Wii controller and a pen he sells for $16.50. It was amazing-he had it on the wall and kids were playing with it and it really was just like a Smartboard, only it was just projected onto the wall.

So if you can scrounge up the materials and pay $16.50 for the pen, you can have a smartboard!

http://www.whaleboneir.com/

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 22, 2011

My husband did this a few years ago and it worked really well. His students loved it. My husband made the pen himself for much cheaper than $16.50! Look for videos by Johnny Lee and he shows step by step how to build the pen out of simple components.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 22, 2011

There are also instructions online on how to make a document camera.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 22, 2011

My friend in Colorado did this, its really like a Mimio and not a smartboard since it is projected onto a whiteboard.

It's awesome! We have a Mimio in everyroom, imagine how much money we could have saved!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 22, 2011

What is the difference between a mimeo and a smartboard?

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 22, 2011

A Mimio makes your regular whiteboard into an interactive board. It's a small piece of equipement that is magnetic and can be transported from whiteboard to whiteboard. As long as you have a projector and the software on the used computer.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 22, 2011

Is there an advantage to having a Smartboard over a mimio? It seemed to me that this projector on the wall did everything I used my Smartboard for (I had the actual board installed in one of my classrooms), so I can't figure out what the advantage would be.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 22, 2011

The mimeo is transportable and doesn't require the school to replace already existing whiteboards with smartboards.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 22, 2011

WOW! Jem thanks for sharing this - that is truly amazing!! I'm actually really encouraged to know there are options like this out there for classrooms that don't have access to Smartboards or mimios.

I student taught in a school where all the classrooms had mimios - I LOVED it. I have only used Smartboards briefly at my university; I have much more experience with the mimio. The main difference for me was that I was able to use a tablet with a stylus from anywhere in the room (I often stood at the back of the room) to write on the board or manipulate things on the screen. I'm not sure if the Smartboard has a tablet feature like this...I've never seen one.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 22, 2011

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 22, 2011

The smartboard is much more expensive and can not be moved from classroom to classroom as easily. Teachers can also use their whiteboard as it a wipe off board because that is what it is, where a smartboard can not be used as a regular wipe off board.

The only time I think the smartboard is better-*I have a mimio in the library and a smartboard in the connected computer room- is for the kindergarteners, they seem to have an easier time using their finger than the mimio pen.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 22, 2011

Interesting. So it seems like this might be even better than a smartboard!

I was just telling dh how cool it would be to have one in our kid's room, but they are so expensive. I could totally create this for our guest room, though-I'm even thinking it could be fun for our friends' kids!

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 22, 2011

You would still need a projector though right? That is quite expensive!

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 22, 2011

I have one, actually. It was free, which is even better!

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 22, 2011

Nice!

How cool!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 22, 2011

Yep! But I just realized you might have been referencing others-yes, they would need a projector. I've seen some on Craigslist for a pretty good price.

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 22, 2011

I was referencing putting it in your guest room!

Off Topic....how is the running going, I have been slacking big time all week..it rained alot and then came down with a cold or something all weekend, so no strength to run! This week I'll get back on track!

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 22, 2011

It's going well! I have a mini-triathlon coming up on June 11, so I've been alternating running, biking and swimming to get ready. I just got new shoes yesterday and can't wait to try them out-I was suppose to do 4 miles today, but packing Sprout orders took waaaay more time than I realized it would. I have to do 5 miles and a Crossfit workout tomorrow. I hear you about the cold-my nose has gotten super stuffy today-I can't figure out why, but it's starting to cloud my head.

We should start a workout thread so we can report/motivate each other!

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 23, 2011

Does anyone know if the Mimios are multi-touch like the new SMARTboards?

21. eightiesguy

eightiesguy Rookie

May 23, 2011

I was going to make one of these last year, but I finally talked my district into getting me a Smartboard. I've had it for about a year and a half and I love it.

About a year ago, the tech guys brought me in a mimio to test out. Do the the cost they were considering getting them instead of Smart boards this year. I never actually got to use it in class (they brought it in during exam week at the end of the year), but it had many of the same features of the smartboard. There were various reasons I prefered the smartboard. The pen made a buzzing noise while in use (loud enough it could be heard throughout the front half of the room if the room was silent), there was a glare from the projector on the whiteboard that was really bad from certain seats in the room, the mimio itself would fall off of my board (It comes with double sided tape to secure the mounting brackets, and it didn't stay stuck... I had to duct tape it to the whiteboard). I know there were other reasons I preferred the smartboard, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

After talking with the tech guys, and explaining my issues, they agreed that they preferred the smartboard. There was also an issue with how the projectors were mounted in the classroom, and how the image with the projector would show up on the whiteboard. If I didn't have a smartboard, and had no choice, then I'd take the mimio. It's better than having nothing.

One thing I'll add. I puchased an airliner (wireless slate) last summer. I've now used it for a year, and I like it even better than the smartboard.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 23, 2011

We have Mimios and I love mine. I love the fact that I get to keep my regular white board. I don't have to panic when I have a sub. (The next parish over has almost all Prometheans and they often get messed up when subs write on them with a regular marker.) Our school could never afford to get us all Prometheans or Smartboards, only a select few would have gotten them, but they could get us all new, real whiteboards and Mimios. I use it daily and the kids know it 100 times more than me. It will run lessons made for any other type of interactive whiteboard, it has student response systems, and wireless tablets just like the others.
    I will admit that the double-stick tape didn't stick, but I just used 2 of the 3M strips (the pull and release kind) and they held all year. My pen does buzz, but I can barely hear it. I personally like it, because it's how I check that the battery is still good. Their support is AWESOME! Any time I have a problem, issue, or question, they are quick to respond, and they don't mess around. My pen started messing up, they offered advice once on how to reset it, that didn't work, so they sent me a new one. No questions, no hesitation, just a new pen in 2 days. They offer great suggestions and have an easy to use website. I really enjoy my Mimio.

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 23, 2011

What do you mean by multi-touch?

In my student teaching classroom, I never noticed any buzzing noise coming from the pen. Maybe because the AC unit was SO loud...;) hahaha.

The projectors were mounted to the ceiling, and the image showed up perfectly on the white board. If the projector were sitting on a table top, I can see how it might not work as well.

I personally like mimios better based on my experience with them, but I would be very happy with either! I like being able to use the white board as a white board as well when the projector is not in use, but the biggest reason I liked the mimio was the wireless tablet. I LOVED being able to write and manipulate the board from anywhere in the room. I haven't seen a Smartboard with that feature...do some of them have tablets they can be controlled by?

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 23, 2011

More than one person can manipulate the softwar at the same time. On the new SMARTboards more than one student can touch the board at the same time and do seperate tasks. On the old SMARTboards only one person can do a task at a time.

25. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 23, 2011

Oooh, I don't think mimios can do that, but I didn't think SMARTboards could, either! That sounds really amazing!

26. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 23, 2011

Since you have to use the pen/stylus, no it is not multi touch....however Mimio has just come out with a whole new generation of products...the rep came to the librarians meeting to demonstrate some of it...so the new white ones may actually work with more than one stylus, they also have clickers and document cameras that work as video conferencing units.

Of course the new generation Mimio came out right after we ordered a gray one for every classroom!

In the classroom the custodians permanently mounted the arms to the tops of the white boards in everyroom...since like you were saying the double stick tape/suction cups were not good enough!

27. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 23, 2011

Sounds good to me!

Today I have Hip Hop, if I get to the gym a little early, I will run on the treadmill but the weather here is gross and rainy...supposed to all week :(

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 23, 2011

I'll start a workout thread tomorrow. Dh gave me a horrendous head cold, so my four miles and Crossfit are being traded for gallons of water and boxes of kleenex. Hopefully I can pow through this and get back to running tomorrow. I've really been slacking lately.

Good luck on the treadmill!

29. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 23, 2011

Sounds good! Feel better! I'm still congested, managed to do a little over a mile after HH, I was wiped out!

30. eightiesguy

eightiesguy Rookie

May 24, 2011

If I was talking during instruction, then I doubt the students would notice the buzzing. When I was testing it, we we doing final exams. It was totally silent in the room (except for the buzz), and the couple of students I had taking the exam noticed it.

Smart has a wireless slate called an airliner. I think it retails for around $400. I bought mine used for $100 on ebay, and I think it's worth every penny. Also, I was talking to a textbook rep last year (I don't remember what company), but he told me that they were giving the teachers the options of the airliner or extra teacher supplementals with their textbooks. I should also note that is is possible to write using the airliner at the same time that someone is writing on the smartboard using one of the pens. (The new generation of smart boards is true multi-touch).