Crazy Weather

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DizneeTeachR, Mar 2, 2012.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2012

Hope everyone remains safe during this crazy weather that is going on today!!!

We are under High Wind Watch, to the north they are supposed to get hard with 10+ inches of snow!!!!

Praying for all of you down south where the severe weather seems to be breaking out!!!!

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 2, 2012

I woke up this morning around 4:00 to the weather radio going off. It went off 5 times before we finally left for school at 7:45. Thunderstorms, egg sized hail, high winds, etc. Didn't get much sleep after 4:00 this morning. The hail missed us entirely, but got communities north and south of us. Now they are calling for snow tonight.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 2, 2012

They sent us home at 1:00 today since we're in such a high risk of storms. It's sunny, warm, and humid. The wind is picking up, and the storms are about 125 miles west of us.

We're under a TorCon danger of 9/10. Not good.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2012

Stay safe, IMA!!!

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2012

We held the busses an extra 20 minutes because of a storm a county south of us. It touched down, and rumor is there was extensive damage.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2012

We were released early as well. After being hit this week already, we're all a little nervous.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2012

We just had thunder a little bit ago...now raingin pretty hard. We are under a High Wind Warning for overnite....

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2012

We are safe, but other towns in the region are devastated. :(

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2012

Had lots of tornadoes west and south of here. So far 6 people have died and there are stories of destruction everywhere. It's very sad. I think our area made the national news.

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 2, 2012

Schools let out early in my home district as well. We just had either a microburst, major wind shear, or an actual touchdown shortly after 8:00pm tonight. Fortunately, it only affected a small, localized area. I did a drive-by to survey the damage after the storm. LOTS of limbs (and a few trees) down. Some damage to businesses, but couldn't really see anything major.

We're safe for now, but there are more storm cells heading our way, so it will probably be a long night tonight.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2012

I'm not far from one of the worst ones. That was the storm we held buses for. It ended up taking more of an easterly track than ne like they first thought, or it would have come straight by us. They're saying it was on the ground about fifty minutes. The footage is just devastating...

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2012

It's so hard to see the devastation. Thankfully only one friend has to start completely over, but there are so many I of course don't know who have to do the same. And many people here and there who have a lot of work ahead of them.

The images are terrible (both that I've seen in person and on the news and Facebook). The loss of life, animals, things...just tragic.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2012

So glad you and your school family, amakaye, are okay!

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2012

thanks, just me. Glad to hear you're all safe, too.I saw an interview on the weather channel with a principal from henryville, in. He mentioned that thestaff and about a dozen students took shelter in the office after a bus saw the storm and turned around. That just really hit me. I can't stop thinking about how close we actually were to being in that situation ourselves, and I can't imagine how absolutely terrifying it would have been...

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2012

Saw families on the news who have had homes destroyed several times...:(

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 4, 2012

My heart and prayers go out to everyone affected by these storms - especially those areas that were hit the hardest. Our tornado was classified as an EF-2. There is a lot of property damage (much of it less than 1 mile from my home), but no injuries or deaths were reported.

Compared to the areas in Alabama, Kentucky and Indiana, we were very lucky. It could have been much worse.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2012

So glad you have no deaths to report, Cerek!

Some areas hit are now under a Winter Weather Advisory. My goodness. :(

My heart continues to break. One little toddler was found in a field, critical, but alive...her parents and two siblings died. One four year boy was ripped from his mother's arms. The stories, pictures are heartbreaking. The power of these tornados...just amazing.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2012

JustMe, that story of the little girl had me bawling on the way to church this morning. It really hit me hard this morning. I don't even know anyone personally affected, but I'm still really shaken up...

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2012

Just heard that little girl didn't make it either...

21. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2012

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That means her entire family was killed in the storm. :(