Crazy vs Calm

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Elcsmith, Aug 10, 2010.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

I try to keep my room clutter free each year....and it never works! I think part of the problem is my lack of closet space. All of my storage is open and out for all to see....and I HATE it!

My old classroom had a wall of closets (most for the kids bags and stuff) bit it hid all of my junk.....I miss it!

2. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 15, 2010

Great thread!

I teach with half of my lights on...and so excited and feeling kinda spoiled knowing I can turn half my lights on/off. The glare from the windows to the board is cut in half. I can remember when it was so nice outside and I flung open the blinds with both lights on during an activity we needed them both on and the kids acted like vampires being struck down by sunlight "Not the light! Not the light!".

I love playing classical music, and I do first thing in the morning when we have seat work to do and when we're writing or reading. It got to the point that it became a HUGE reward to have on with the kids to enjoy. See? Calming and effective :)

3. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I love everyone's responses! I'm currently working in my room and I feel like I'm accomplishing a peaceful environment. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Everything is blue, green or brown. Anything that is not pleasing to the eye is being tucked away or purged. The only thing I can't help is the giant map of the world rug that I have. It's very colorful but I have to keep it in my room. I'm also remaking a lot of posters so that they aren't so in your face!

I can't wait to share the pics. I should be ready by next week.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 15, 2010

I am the same way! You can tell my mental state by looking at my desk. 99% of the time my room is neat, organized and clutter free. I just make sure I have a consistent colour scheme - mostly blues and greens.

I would like to get some lower lighting - lamps, Christmas lights, etc.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 15, 2010

I love my mentor to death, but I just HATE her bulletin boards. We have four square bulletin boards in the back and she's covered each one with red, blue, green, or orange paper. Even worse, the border is CHECKERED RAINBOW. I feel like having a seizure every time I look at them. :whistle:

6. historynut

historynut Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I hate bare walls. However I try to keep it some what sane. My two bulletin boards are covered in black fabric with a colorful trim. That really cuts down on the craziness. Our school theme is Wild About Learning so the trim this year is leopard print. Some of my teammates have covered their bulletin boards with neon zebra print. I can't even stand to look at their boards.