Crazy morning

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Aug 18, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

We are not having a formal meet the teacher or orientation this year. Instead we are having parents and the kids come in yesterday and today as I am working in the room. All the center areas are set up and ready to go. I am just putting their names on the table and putting up posters and working on the schedule.

Today right at 8:00 A.M. I had a parent show up with her two children and three more kids she babysits. :eek: It was ok at first, but while I was talking to her the kids were all over the room into everything. She sat there and yelled and threatened them. I didn't know what to do. The mother had them pick up a majority of the mess before they left. After they left I started to look around. There are cubes, beads, pattern blocks all around the room. The kitchen area is a reck. They broke the knobs off the play stove and I don't know what else I will find. I wanted to cry. I have been working so hard to have everything ready and in less than 20 minutes it was destroyed.
    Then to top it off this mother asked if she could stay the first half day of school, but she would have to bring all the kids she babysits. I told her (trying to be nice) that she could walk her to the room and stay a few minutes, but I thought the extra kids would be a distraction.

I think I would rather have an orientation night. I am just wondering what else is going to happen today. I have to stay until 4:00 P.M. I still have 10 more kids that haven't showed up yet. Hopefully they won't make a mess.

Thanks for letting me vent.

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

oops, I posted twice. I don't even know how I did it.

4. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 18, 2009

Man, I'm sorry that happened to you!! I know it's frustrating

My school typically has back to school night on the night before school starts. In previous years, we always let parents bring their kids and I've had the same sort of problems you've had. I would be trying to give my presentation and I've had kids getting into stuff! It's frustrating because they're making a mess of all the stuff you just organized AND I find it very uncomfortable saying anything. I have no problem handling behavior issues in the classroom when it's just me, but when a child's parent is around, I tend to feel like THEY should be the one doing the correcting... and when they don't, I never know what to do. With experience, I've learned to say something when kids are doing something wrong (even with parents present) but it always feels awkward to me.

Good luck with the rest of your day!

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

take a deep breath.......... find some super glue.

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

I hope the rest of the day went a little better!
    In our school there is no way the P would let a parent stay a whole half-day (unless there was another issue; not on the first day!), and under NO circumstances would they be able to bring other children!! I think you did the right thing telling her no- it would be very distracting for you and the kids!
    Good luck with no one else making a mess...that seems to be what kids do!

7. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

The rest of the day did go better. The other children who came were very well behaved and the room stayed in order the rest of the day. I also found out today that two of the kids I had on my list moved over the summer. So I am going to have a total of 15 kids, which is great. All but 5 showed up in the last two days. I also got a lot done in the room.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

That is so not cool! I really don't like you having to have an open door and people could come any minute. I wish y'all had orientation or something with more structure.

I think maybe I should put away all my manipulatives when we do have meet the teacher - those little sibling just love to walk off with my bear manipulatives and string my links all over the room:dizzy: