Crazy first job, need advice

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by a_new_beginning, Jan 23, 2014.

1. a_new_beginning

a_new_beginning Rookie

Jan 23, 2014

Hi everyone!

I am starting a new job on Monday and I am starting to freak out. This is my very first teaching job. yay for that! My position is going to three different schools during the same day. That's three different classrooms and different schools systems I have to learn. And I know that each art room is going to be set up differently. I have no idea what I have to work with.

I've been given no notice yet on what the students are working on, what they know, what they don't know, if there is even a curriculum for me to follow or if I have to write my own.... the list probably goes on. I feel entirely unprepared.

I just don't even know where to start. What do I do on the first day? Introductions? Keep going with the old project? Do I try to start a new project on my first day if they're not working on anything?

Do I just cry?

I've had excellent preparation in school, but nothing really prepares you for this.

Thanks for anyone who can help. I'm terrified. haha :help:

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 23, 2014

Why don't you contact the schools and ask to speak with the head of the Art departments or principals? Did you ask and they just didn't give you any information???

4. a_new_beginning

a_new_beginning Rookie

Jan 23, 2014

The principals have yet to return any communication, but I am meeting with the district's Art department head tomorrow. I'm sure she will know a lot of what's going on.

5. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

3 schools a DAY?? I'm at 2 schools a day and I hate it. If it weren't for that, my job would be perfect.

That said, the actual teaching part should go well. Do some fun projects while you assess what they know, then in the next few weeks map out your curriculum.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 24, 2014

I don't really have any advice. Good luck though.

7. MacRoss

MacRoss New Member

Feb 25, 2014

To simplify your life, try teaching the same thing, only at different levels. For example, let's say you're going to focus on an element of art like Color. Have all classes and grades working on the same element, but create more complex assignments for higher grades. This way, your lessons will all be in the same vein, and you won't be scrambling around for a ton of unrelated lessons.

As far as what they know and what they don't, don't sweat it. As long as they are doing a project they have not done before, it can be fun and educational.

8. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Mar 3, 2014

The first day should start with behavior management and class procedures. If you have time, get to a simple art activity where you can guide them through the procedures and model the right way/wrong way to do things. Even though the students have most likely had art class before, you're a stranger, and they need to know you mean business. :)

9. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Mar 5, 2014

I agree with missrebecca, although I imagine it's hard to think of class procedures when you don't know what your rooms will be like.

Maybe you could have a discussion with them about rules and respect and then have them do some quick project related to that for the first thing (which could buy you some time while you figure out what to do next curriculum-wise) What grades are you teaching?

A good book for getting your head thinking about classroom rules and routines is "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong.

God three schools a day. I'm like teachart, I do 2 schools a day (but I'm a music teacher)....it's hard to stay organized.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things are going!!