Crazy custodians!!! -rant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Mar 5, 2014.

1. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 8, 2014

Our custodians are so amazing that it took me months to realize just how much they do! It suddenly struck me one day that I couldn't remember the last time I'd had to empty my pencil sharpener. I realized that my department's custodian was actually taking the time to straighten all my desks back into my specific arrangement, clean out my pencil sharpener each night, pick up my dry erase markers that end up scattered around the whiteboards and put them all together at the end, all of these tiny details that never really hit me until I realized that I hadn't been doing them! If I forget to put my smartboard pen on its charging port, she'll even stop to do it. We try to keep our custodians really happy because they are so great.

2. Cleaning agent

Cleaning agent New Member

Jan 30, 2021

3. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Feb 8, 2021

This is totally ridiculous!

4. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Feb 9, 2021

Oh, that reminds me of a horrible janitor story. So, at one of my previous schools, I was the theatre teacher. There was a long running debate over keeping the spaces locked, etc. (I would lock it, someone else would unlock it, I'd get blamed, etc.) Anyway, we were getting ready to open Hamlet, and it was final dress night. When we're in dress rehearsals, the kids have to keep the dressing rooms orderly. Clothes have to be hung up or folded, shoes neatly stacked, makeup put away, counters wiped down, etc. I check every night when I leave. I left, and everything was very neat, except a small pile of clothing that belonged to a band student--this was in the bathroom, the toilet of which they had actually clogged (It was a band uniform, so clearly not mine). I picked up the band stuff and left them in a bag in the band teacher's mailbox, and asked the custodian to unclog the toilet and make sure we had paper towels and toilet paper. When I got to rehearsal the next day, the kids come running to me to tell me most of the costumes are gone. I go back, and the racks are empty, all folded clothes are gone, just a few items are left behind. I go to the head janitors office and ask what happened, and he tells me "We cleaned out the dressing rooms, like you asked." I asked him to clarify, and he said, "we cleaned, unclogged the toilet and added supplies". He then told me he had a substitute janitor doing the work. When we found him, his answer was, "Oh, I threw all that away because I thought the room was supposed to be cleaned out." We spent final dress rehearsal digging through the dumpsters to find an entire casts clothing. That show smelled like rotten milk and tater tots. To this day, I believe it was a conspiracy on the part of the admin and the janitors, because it made no sense.

5. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Feb 9, 2021

I have one more to add. Same school as the earlier post, in the summer, they would pull all the furniture out, sweep and wax the floors. Well, first, they only ever moved desks--there were always rust stains left from file cabinets and the like when they waxed around them. Also, I came into my room one August and found one of those bright yellow post-it note arrows waxed into the floor. It was there for 5 years!. They just waxed over it every year.