Crazy Admission

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by msrosie, Sep 4, 2015.

1. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Sep 4, 2015

I only have 4 students. I'll get student number 5 on Tuesday.

When I tell other teachers, they look at me like I've lost my mind and then ask if I'm a private school or overflow kindergarten. But nope. I'm in a TINY public district and I'm the only kindergarten teacher.

They immediately tell me how easy I have it. And at some points I agree with them. But there's also unique challenges to having a class that tiny.

3. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 4, 2015

That's an interesting situation. What kind of challenges do you have? I would imagine you'd have far more pressure for students to show growth...

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 5, 2015

I have some small classes too. Smallest this year is 6. It is hard sometimes. I like 10-12 best. More ideas, better group work. Just has that nice balanced feel to it!

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 5, 2015

I would love a class that size, especially for that age! How fun! This year with my high school kids, my smallest class size is 31. It's so hard to get anything done with them!

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 5, 2015

The year I taught Kindergarten I had 8 kids. It was nice! Enjoy it.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2015

I once had that. Then I heard the radio playing of my alarm, and realized it was only a dream.

8. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Sep 5, 2015

Wow. I'm not sure how I'd react to a class of 5 students. Last year I had 25 (26 for two months) and this year I've got 24 with the condition that at least one more can be added on top of it being a combo Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten class.

I can imagine the difficulties of doing certain activities with that small of a class and the stress of having to show substantial growth because there are so few. I think I'd prefer a class size in the middle; maybe 10-15 students in the class.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

Missy, our TK class only had 16 kids, so the D.O. decided to turn her into a TK/K combo class. How lovely! :rolleyes:

She kept her TK kiddos, but 8 kindergarten students were overflowed from other sites to our site.

The teacher took the news in stride. Actually, I think my principal and I were far more frustrated than she was because we had absolutely no say in the decision.

10. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Sep 5, 2015

I'm definitely expected to show a lot of growth because my students are such a small group.

But the biggest challenges for me are that it's super obvious when I don't have parent participation. Open house for example, and the social that's so important in kinder. My kiddos only have each other to socialize with and learn from and that's a VERY small group.

11. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Sep 7, 2015

Our school has a tk/k combo to avoid a class of 18. We all have 24 and may each take up to 3 more this year since the area around the school is a construction zone where houses are going up and people will be moving in in the next few months and throughout the year.

I would kill to have 6 but my ideal would be 16.

I can imagine that you can't group by ability when all six may be at Very different levels and centers wouldn't be possible....ok actually I may not like having 6 only if it meant that learning centers died since i feel like it is such a fun developmentally appropriate hands on learning time. With only six you couldn't really have multiple choices for activities out becuase it would mean your students would be learning in an isolated way which is counterintuitive to the purpose of centers. which would mean everyone was stuck learning the same way or not getting the gift of peer scaffolding and collaboration.

Not to mention each parent really could reasonably expect an individualized education for their child even though that would make a ton of work for you and the expectations and demands of such parents could get overwhelming. Oh yeah and none of the parents would feel the need to volunteer meaning you would get stuck doing all your prep.

Ok I think I see some of your issues now. My fingers are crossed that you will get about 10 more students.

12. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Sep 7, 2015

I'm waaaaaaaaay more likely to lose a student or two than I am to gain a student. My district is tiny and about 1/2 of our students come from migrant families. So I've been told that around December, a lot of families move to Texas and California where the parents can find work.

My kiddos do centers because that's the way it's always been done, even when the class size was this small, but I'm thinking of scrapping that here in the coming weeks because I want them to work together and learn from each other and that's just not happening.