Craziest/Most Unusual Subbing Day?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 20, 2011

As this yr soon comes to a close, what's been the most unusual, crazy, etc. day you've had being a substitute? :)

Nothing crazy here, but I admit I love it when state testing, assemblies, field trips, etc. are going on. I usually sub long-term for the entire school yr for the SLPs, so I'm not in a general ed rm. When testing's going on, the schedule's different, so I don't work w/ as many kids as I normally would. But, I still get the same pay of course! It's nice to have some light days for a change!
    I'm having a blast today. I've been here since the start of the morning & haven't yet worked w/ one kid due to testing & now I'm on my lunch break (it's 11:30 now). I brought my mini laptop & am having fun...ah, it's so peaceful! :)

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Apr 20, 2011

I'd have to say the day we had a bomb threat a few days before Christmas break. Nothing like hiking it down the road (in the snow...) to the middle school with a few thousand HS kids and then sitting in a gym for 3 1/2 hours. We made it back to the school just in time to rotate the kids through the lunch periods and then send them home.

Apparently all those times I would get bored and sit and read the emergency procedures for something to do paid off...:whistle:

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Apr 20, 2011

1) I subbed for a while in an autistic support classroom. We had a number of unusual kids who made every day nuts! One kid would run screaming out of the room several times daily, another was also very ADD and couldn't stop his mouth from moving all day (he usually repeated random Hindi movie scripts), and the last kid would pull his pants down and pee every time he didn't like something. Oh, and one kid was scared silly of bananas, which was more entertaining than anything. :)

2) I once subbed for a teacher who was out on a field trip day. It was me and 25 third-graders at some random state park with massive cliffs and jagged rocks everywhere. That was an exciting day! :rolleyes:

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2011

Having assemblies and planned fire drills makes sub plan writing so much easier on classroom teachers!
    I'm surprised a school would pay for a sub to sit idle all day while testing was ongoing...seems they could have had you do something to help out someone....

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 20, 2011

You would think so, but speech personnel are exempt from quite a few routines/duties that gen ed teachers have to do, such as yard/bus/recess/morning/afterschool duty, etc.

7. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Apr 20, 2011

That's funny because my school makes the special ed/speech/specials teachers do all of the morning/after school/bus duties. Regular ed teachers are exempt from these duties.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2011

When I was the math intervention resource teacher, I was also exempt from duties (recess, bus, etc). BUT, I was expected to help out with testing and other events. However, I do know that the speech teachers at my school doesn't, so, I'm sure that's typical.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 21, 2011

Craziest subbing day was when there was a shooting in the bus garage behind the school. We were 100% in the dark because the classroom windows were covered. It took a few minutes for the students to understand it wasn't a drill (and to PLEASE turn off the texting), at which point they all wanted to hide under the teacher's desk. One young man with a beautiful voice sang some gospel music to keep himself and the others calm. Thankfully, the resource officer personally tackled the shooter and we were able to turn the lights back on after 15 minutes.

10. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Apr 21, 2011

My strangest was when I was called recently to sub for a secretary in the schools main office. They didn't even ask if I could type. My assinment for the day was answer the Principles phone line (it only rang 2X) buzz people in to the building, make copies and put the mail in the correct boxes. There was 0 stress I could talk to the kids and I got to know some teachers better.I couldn't believe I got paid for that.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2011

MissAnt & Peachy, I guess ea district's different, but speech people are kind of a separate "breed" so to speak from the rest of the staff.

Once when I was an RSP teacher, I had morning recess duty M-F all yr long. That's just how that school ran things. I think they should have had teachers alternate the weeks.

Lindager, what a nice change!

12. QueeTheBean

QueeTheBean Rookie

Apr 21, 2011

Worst crazy was the 6th grader cutting himself with a razor blade, bleeding on the floor, and being sent back to me with a bandaid & no explanation. That was my first and last day in middle school.

Best crazy was subbing for library--only 5 actual classes, no bus or lunch duty. Three classes, I got to read aloud (my favorite), and in place of 5th grade, I got to go to a special assembly that featured the Phillie Phanatic. It was a total suprise & he was about 3" from me. I love him so much it is almost embarrassing. And I got paid for it!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  13. azure

azure Companion

Apr 22, 2011

Our district instituted a new discipline policy as it pertains to consequences for fighting and creating a major disturbance in class, such as yelling and cursing at the teacher. Those two things now falls under the purview of the security guards (who are also policemen) as assault and disorderly conduct, respectively.

Well last week a 7th grader became disorderly and in the course of the incident said two things that I put on his referral 1)I hate teachers, especially subs, and 2) she's an A-hole. He was taken to juvenile detention, I was asked to fill out a police report and he has a court date of May 11, until which time he is in juvenile lock-up.

This was a first for me in 10 years of subbing.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

Years ago I subbed for the track coach, he taught something in middle school. One boy was on a behavior plan. One day I went in, there was a fire drill and he gave me a hard time. I don't remember what he did, but I kicked him out and he refused to go. I called the Office & told them that he was on his way down. As he went out the door he called me a b&*%!. He was suspended for the remainder of the year.

15. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Apr 29, 2011

My first sub job this school year was in a pre-school room adjacent to our vocational building. The assistant was there and did the work, but they needed a certified teacher (I'm K-12 English and Business) in the room so there I was wiping noses and tying shoes all day. It was fun overall. At the end of the day I read several books to them so the assistant could rest her voice. I thought it was funny since I'm an older male teacher.

I've been in a computer education room ever since and hope to get hired full-time for next year.