Craziest First Day Ever?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Jul 29, 2012.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

We are all feeling anxious as the first day of school approaches ... what is the craziest thing that has ever happened on your first day?

Several years ago, on our first day with students, I had a very large class (all desks taken). I had not assigned seats. A student came in, did not like that only front row seats were left, so moved a desk from the front row to the back of the room.

When I told him that was not appropriate and he needed to return the desk to the front and sit down, his under-the-breath-comment included the F word.

I was FLOORED.
    We do NOT have students behave this way ... EVER.

The entire class was stunned.

I told him that I did not allow that type of language in my classroom and proceeded with class.

When the bell rang to dismiss class, he apologized.

Things were fine for the remainder of the year.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

I started at my current school the second year they were open; the entire area around the school was new construction, so new students were the norm. On my first day at the school, I started the day (at 8:05) with 23 students. By lunch time, I had 30. The next day, I started with 29 (one who was there the first day never returned) and finished with 31.

4. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

My experience was the 3 rd day of school, my first year teaching, fresh out of college. I was a late hire so it was a whirlwind of getting my class together, deciding how I would do things etc. well this student whose name shall be Johnny, was not completing his bell work assignment. I asked him once, " please make sure you do our bell work" then moved on. I noticed he didn't complete it when it was time to turn them in nor was his name on it. So I looked at him and said "make sure you put your name on your bellwork" and walked away to start collecting on the other side of the room. After collecting the assignment he made a special effort to give me his and it was folded. So I unfolded it and saw in huge writing across the page simple said "f*ck you". All I could think is "do not give a reaction" so I walked to the front of the class, looked up, he was smirking and many of the kids were anxiously waiting to see what was going to happen. I guess he showed it to everyone. It was all I could do to keep my composure. I got the class started on the next assignment acting like nothing ever happened and then went to the phone and called to have him taken out of my class for the day.

I was blown away. I had just been hired as a middle school teacher (trained in elementary but that was the only offer I had so I took it). I was already wondering what I had gotten myself I to teaching middle school and it's my first year teaching I was hired just before school started so I had little time to prepare! But I survived, still teach middle school and LOVE it. Hey at least I have a good story to tell and laugh about now. Needless to say "Johnny" did not make it through the year at our school. He was eventually sent to the alternative school.

5. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

Last year was my first year teaching and I taught kindergarten at a charter school. I had 23 students on my roster, but I only had 16 show up the first day. Anyway, I had this kid in my class that has an emotional disorder and no one knew because the parents didnt disclose it to anyone. So, it's time to line up for lunch and I called them by groups. i call group B and the ED kid pushes a kid out the way and takes his spot in line. I told him that we do not touch other students and that we always keep our hands and feet to ourselves. He looked at me and started screaming at the top of his lungs and shouting curse words at me saying "F*** you, and you B****, I hate you!" He also called me a few racial slurs. Then he started running around and tearing up my whole classroom. The whole class just stood their in line with their mouths dropped! Some of them were so scared with it being their first day of school, EVER! We were 20 minutes late to lunch that day. Lol. ;)

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 29, 2012

I teach little ones (obviously) and usually they come in, parents drop off supplies, find their seats, cry a little good-bye. The kids have activities at the tables to work on. We get started with our day.

Last year I had the weirdest experience ever. I turned around and one of the kids had just sat down at my desk and was on my computer looking for a game. One of the parents was switching around nametags so her child could sit next to his friend-like literally peeled off the contact paper. :eek: Another parent was yelling at me wanting to know why her child wasn't on my list-um, I don't do the enrollment part-you need to talk to the office. Another mom told me she was going to take her child to the bilingual class because her daughter said she wants to be in that room :dizzy:. It was definitely a foreshadowing of how the year would go. ;)

7. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

Im just picturing all of these things going on simultaneously and I had to laugh!:lol:

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

Ha! As I was reading your story, I was thinking, well, there's a kid that would end up at my school. (I teach at an alternative school.) :lol:

I taught the wrong class for a day one year! My schedule said that the class was English III, and I had no reason to think otherwise since that's what I normally teach. The kids never said a thing, and come to think of it, I doubt they even noticed. It wasn't until the next day when a new kid came in the class that I saw on his schedule it said English II but had my name, room number and the correct time on it. I checked with the counselor and sure enough... the class was English II. :blush:

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 29, 2012

Oh my, you guys sure are scaring me haha!

10. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

Last year we had a power outage on the 3rd day of school. Due to the heat and lack of windows/ventilation indoors, we all had to go outside! For the whole day! The entire school! It was crazy. The teachers scrambled and organized grade-level activity rotations. It was awful.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

Baha! Love this one!

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

I remember you posting here about the mom moving name tags! CrAzY!

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

Nah, no reason to be scared! We survived! You will, too! :)

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2012

My first official day was in the middle of the school year. Two students (a boy and a girl) got in a fight at lunch. The girl had punched the boy. He of course carried their little issue into the classroom afterwards, got in a verbal fight with her, got angry when my mentor teacher tried to calm him down, tore his workbook literally in half and through pieces of it around the room while cursing myself and my mentor teacher off.

Last year my students preferred to save their insane antics until October and November.

I'm hoping to have any easy first day this year because I have mostly a great class coming in, a few kids I don't know but are apparently pretty good and the most difficult one has a great para who's known him for a year. We'll see!

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2012

Don't be scared. What's the point of teaching if you don't come out with any battle stories?

16. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

I teach four ninth grade classes and one twelfth grade class. On the first day of school, I always have freshmen getting lost and showing up to my classroom the wrong period. About 5 years ago, I was standing at my door during passing time before my 12th grade class began. A really small kid walked in with a group of kids, so I immediately went into the room and said, "Excuse me, I think you're in the wrong class. I have a freshman class next period." He looked horrified and said, "I am a senior. This is AP Euro, right?" I think I was more embarrassed than he was, and I learned to never make assumptions like that again!

Another story that comes to mind is from the second or third day of school several years ago. There was a freshman girl on my team who was trying to "play the system" with her friends and show up to all of her classes late. (The science teacher found this out and called the rest of us to warn us.) When she arrived about five minutes late to my class, I met her at the door and told her that she was being marked tardy for the period. She was clearly not happy, which was reinforced by the fact that she snatched a paper out of my hand as I was passing them out about a minute later. I pulled her into the hallway and told her that her behavior was unacceptable and that I would be speaking to her parent about it that afternoon. Well, fast forward a few periods, and we had a freshman class assembly with the principal. At the end of the assembly, I was in the back of the auditorium, but I saw the girl go up to the principal and point in my direction and say, "I want to report a teacher. I don't like the way that guy talks to me. He's mean!" The principal was floored, and said that I would probably be her favorite teacher by the end of the year. When I called her mother, I told her about the tardiness and the complaint she made. Funny enough, we did hit it off after that and had a great relationship the rest of her four years of high school.

17. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

My first day was at a preschool MANY years ago. The cook walked me to my room and said, "Well, here's your class."
    The Director and assistant director were on vacation.
    It did not get better from there. I knew nothing about the kids, my assistants did not"plan curriculum" and 1 only knew the art projects that she did every year. The other was only part time, but didn't tell me that. I had to work the closing shift, and found out the procedure right before everyone else left for the day.
    Then a parent asked me if the children would be learning to read in kindergarten...I looked at my assistants...I have 5K? I was hired for 4K!
    It all got straightened out when the directors came back, but what a way to start out!

18. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Jul 29, 2012

Wow!!!! I can't even imagine!!!

19. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2012

We don't always get our rosters until right a day or so before school starts. One year, the day before school, I saw that I had over 50 students in two of my periods, and I figured it must be an error. I checked with the office -- nope; they had many more seniors show up and register at the last minute, and I would just have to cope with it until they could balance classes. For the first three days I had kids in any chair I could scrounge up, sitting on the floor, and hanging out by the door. Needless to say, not a lot of teaching got done.

20. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2012

I just thought of another story. I subbed whenever I didn't have classes during my senior year of college. My first time subbing was for an elementary ESL teacher who had the same students all day long. Most of them spoke very little English. When I got to the classroom, I found that the teacher left NOTHING for me. :help: The principal had to find some bogus activities for me to do with them for 7 hours. :dizzy: That was a looooonnnggg day, but luckily the kids were well behaved. Welcome to teaching!

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2012

One year the masterboard wasn't finished in time for school (NOT my current school). I spent the first two weeks of school babysitting kids in the library while they finished scheduling everyone.

Another year, I came in partway through the school year. The sub they'd had had been teaching the English I and English III class as English II... for two months. That was an interesting first day on the job...

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Not exactly a first day pf school story, but...

My first year back to teaching (after a 5 year absence) I was asked to change schedules in January. I had been teaching 7th grade, since that's where the opening was in the department. But the Precalc teacher was going out on maternity leave, and we coudln't find a qualified replacement. So they hired a sub for my classes, and I covered Denise's while she was out. Since I was back at the same school I had taught in for 13 years, they knew the material wasn't going to be an issue for me.

OK, so one Tuesday morning I arrive at school to find that it was the day I was picking up her classes.I went into my new 6th period class, introduced myself, and found out the homework page.

We were covering conic sections, the ellipse to be specific, and each problem included finding the latus rectum.

Well, Sam just had to use that one. He must have asked 20 questions, all including the phrase "latus rectum." After a while, the questions didn't even make sense anymore, but all included that phrase. I answered them all straight.

In the last minute of class, as the bell was about to ring, I gave them the homework, then added: "Um, Sam???? I've potty trained 3 kids. Did you REALLY think the word "rectum" was going to make me run from the room crying???"

The whole class laughed, Sam high fived me on the way out,and my reputation was made with all 5 classes.

23. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 30, 2012

I had just gone from 5th grade to kindergarten. (half day, at that!). I thought I was ready, but when the kids came in, crying, excited, confused, etc. I was in over my head! I barely made the 3 hours before lunch, when my former team teacher from 5th grade sent me a huge bouquet of roses to wish me luck. I burst out in tears, called her on my lunch hour and told her I made a mistake, I need to go back to 5th right now! She calmed me down, and I stuck around in kinder for 2 more years before going back to the intermediate grades!

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

That story makes me laugh every time, Alice!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

The funny thing is that the kid had an unusual first name, so I change the name every time I tell it. I wonder if I've ever called him the same thing twice??

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Wow.:huh:

27. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 30, 2012

We didn't cover the latus rectum when I taught the freshmen conics for student teaching, but I'd imagine that the same students who got a kick out of asymptotes would have enjoyed this.

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

I was working at a school undergoing renovations one year. The campus was off limits to everyone all summer.

Someone had given the construction crew the wrong date that the school needed to be finished. When it was brought to their attention the week before school started, there was nothing to be done. They couldn't get a certificate of occupancy until the first day of school.

So...no one could get into the school until the first day of class...that's right...no pre school preparation.

On that day, a staff of 125, 850 students, and a ton of family show up.

The construction company was to be commended on how they handled the situation. At their own expense, they went out and bought children's construction helmets for every child, brought in every member of their company (about 200, including their office workers) and went to work setting up the school. They sent people to every single classroom and office and the whole school was unpacked and set up by the end of the day.

In the classrooms, the construction people put up bulletin boards, read to students, helped the new K students adjust, and just did everything possible to make the situation better.

It turned out to be a wonderful day, not much teaching, but a tremendous amount of camaraderie.

29. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

On the first day of school, I had a first grader tell me he did not feel well (nervous). We were standing in the doorway to come into the classroom, he said, "I think I am going to throw-up!" Sure enough he was covering his mouth and guess what came out. It spewed everywhere, even on me!!! The garbage can was right next to where we were standing. I was not quick enough to turn his body to aim in the can.

After that, my principal came in and let me go home to change since I had it all over me. I live about 25 minutes away.

After that happened, I keep an extra set of clothes to change into at work. :)

30. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2012

OMG I would have died!!!

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I got goosebumps reading that, swan!

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Wow! All of that happened on the first day??? Crazy!!!!

33. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

Last year was my first year back at elementary (3rd grade) after 3 yrs at middle. One of my little ones was so nervous as it was her first day at the school. She threw up all over herself and her desk. The awesome part of this was while I was taking care of her a bunch of the parents cleaned up the mess.

34. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 30, 2012

One year I had a little girl, (4th grade), who absolutely refused to start her All About Me sheet I had on their desks to do as they came into the room. After about 20 minutes of her doing nothing, and several encouragements from me, I finally told her she had to at least put her name on the paper. She threw her pencil at me and said, "B*** I'm gonna tell my momma on you!" It made for an interesting start to the day!

35. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

I don't have any crazy first day stories, really. Last year, I had many rude boys. I kept hearing from their 1st grade teachers how wonderful these boys were, but I swear they walked into 2nd grade that morning and said, "Let's try to get away with anything today." I ended up calling 5 parents at recess on the 2nd day of school. One mom picked her son up from school 2 hours early because she was so upset. It took until about January for all of them to really calm down and settle in.

The year before I started at my current school, they had a fire in the kitchen on the first day. The whole school had to be evacuated for a few hours.

36. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

The strangest first day was a year when I got moved to a new school in the fall due to consolidation. My first day teaching at the new school? Halloween!

37. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2012

My story is similar to the OP's. I tried desks pushed together in groups of 4, something I'd never tried on the first day. About an hour into the day I turned around and saw one of the kids has skirted his desk away from the group towards the window. My P freaks out when anything is near the windows because of fire codes.

I don't remember the details of what I said and what he said back, but long story short, I quickly got the sense this boy was "different," and I made the decision to compromise and move the desk away from the window but still away from the group. I think this child has autism but he was never diagnosed :( Very smart, but a difficult child to love. It took me more than half the year to "get" him. It was a true "teachable moment" for ME.

38. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

Was the mom really upset with her son, or you for calling??

39. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 31, 2012

I love this one! I can picture the heartwarming montage now. :love: