crayon and pencil organzation

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by clynns, Jun 22, 2009.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Jun 22, 2009

This coming year will be my third year in Kindergarten and I feel like I'm beginning to figure most things out. One thing that I have a problem with is organization. My kids are constantly losing or breaking their crayons. I can give them a box and two days later they don't know where they are. What works for you to help your kids keep their pencils and crayons together and taken care of? Thanks1

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 22, 2009

I've done supplies both ways, individual and group sets. I'm finding the way that works best for me was to have the kids share. I had a bin at each table. Inside the bin was a little basket of crayons and a pail of pencils. I had all the glue and scissors at the back in little pails (the $1 ones from Target...I love those things!). I buy different colors of pails...and I always buy 4 of each color. Then I can tell the kids "Put your caps on your glues and put them in the red pail. Put your pencils points up in blue pail, etc" Then my supply manager puts the pails on the back counter again one color at a time. When we are done with a table project, all the supplies are gone and we have nice clean table tops. I chose to do that because my kiddos would constantly fidget with stuff at the table when there were supplies sitting in front of them.

4. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

Do you have tables? At my school, the kinder teachers have common supplies that sit in the middle of the table. They use the divided tubs to hold crayons, pencils, and markers.
    I am also wondering about organization as this will be my first year in kindergarten. The tables in my new room are very small, so if I use the tubs, they will have to be small. One of the other kinder teachers purchased these tubs from Really Good Stuff.http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/prod...-408E-9759-C4719810149A&mybuyscid=4893872297#

She purchased them with her own money, and right now that is not an option for me financially.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 22, 2009

I use individual boxes and they get a new box of crayons every 9 weeks and I give out pencils so often that it is never a problem. I have a big bucket of extra crayons that they go to any other time. I have a community box for the first 1-2 weeks of school with crayons and pencils that they share until I have introduced the supplies and how to use them properly. I then dump these crayons in a bucket that they go to any time they need a crayon. Any crayons on the floor also go in there and I add more crayons as needed. When I give out new crayons I keep the colors that we are always in need of (red, tan, and brown) for the bucket even if they aren't in great condition. The kids know that any time they need a color to look for it in the bucket.

6. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Thick or thin pencils, crayons

I was wondering what writing instrument you use in
    kindergarten?
    I figure each teacher, school, district is different but I was
    just looking for opinions.
    In preschool I start out using a thin pencil with triangle grippers on them to help the child learn the hold a pencil and then I move up to the thick pencils one they know how to hold their fingers.

I was told here in my area the k teachers were using crayons?

Just curious.

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

For writing, I use a mix of thin and primary pencils and the children can choose what is best for them. For crayons, the children bring in one of those plastic pencil boxes (they're about 4x8inches). I give them 'fat' crayons at the beginning of the year, skinny ones before Christmas and another set before the end of the year. We keep crayons, glue sticks and scissors in these boxes. This works the best for me. I also have a community crayon bucket for the lost and broken ones.

8. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

I use the thick pencils mainly because they don't need sharpened as much as the thin pencils. My kids do have access to thin pencils, markers, colored pencils at the centers, but when we are using regular pencils at our tables we use the thick ones.

Also, this year I am going to try community supplies. I have always had the kids keep their stuff in pencil boxes, but I am tired of them playing inside of them. It will be a change for my room and I hope it goes OK, but I am trying something new!

9. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

The most organized K teacher I have seen....and this works wonders in her room. ( I teach art on a cart so I see 6 different K classes a week) She has tubs with handles in the middle of their table. One side is divided in half, the other side is just open. She has two pencil boxes full of crayons, scissors and pencils in one of the halves and glue bottles in the other small compartment.

the kids learn to share and to keep their hands from getting into the stuff all the time. I guess if they don't have it there in front of them, they don't learn not to get into it. Although..they still do, its better than what some of the other teachers do and I waste a 1/4 of my time with the kids just getting them their basic supplies passed out.

10. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

supply boxes

I've tried many different ways of organizing supplies over the years. The method that worked best for me is making each child responsible for his/her supplies.

My school purchases 8 packs of thick crayons for each child as well as the fat pencils at the beginning of the year. I print off a sheet with several of each child's names in different sized fonts. I label everything with each child's name. I cover each crayon with clear packing tape. The packing tape helps keep the crayons from breaking. The crayons last all year with some snips through the tape when needing peeling back. You can get volunteers to help.

I also tape names around one end of the pencils. I also tape a name to the cap of the glue sticks. When the glue runs out I just put the cap on a new tube. I give out new labeled pencils and erasers mid-year.

I purchased clear video boxes with lids that open on the top (ebay/internet) and put each child's supplies in their own box with names on the top cover of the box as well as the spine. I also include an eraser on which I've written their name. The school also purchases boxes of Crayola write start colored pencils. I introduce these later but have them ready with names on the boxes and around the end of each pencil. Students take better care of their own belongings. At the end of the year they get to take their boxes home.:D

It takes time but is worth it in the long run. Randomly throughout the year I give stickers to students who take care of their supplies. School ended last week and I gave out many awards for taking good care of school supplies as I could look in each box to see whose crayons and pencils were all in their boxes.

Bonus- when a loose crayon or eraser is on the floor you don't have to ask whose it is and have everyone deny ownership!:rolleyes:

I keep the supply boxes in a colored bin for each table. I put each child's name card in the bins as well. I keep Fiskars scissors in colored cups which are put on the tables when needed. I only put boxes of markers out when needed.

I mix up my seating arrangement every 20 days and have the students take their supply box and name card to their new table and put them in the proper colored bin each time.

Whatever method you choose be sure to model proper care and reinforce with praise.:) Good luck.

11. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 23, 2009

I am very happy with the system I use for supplies. I rarely have kids playing in them, and yet they are still responsible for their things. My kids sit at tables. I label each of the 4 tables with a color. I also have baskets that I purchased from Target for pretty cheap that have handles on them. I put a big apple/pumpkin/etc. of one of the 4 colors on each basket. Inside the basket I have a cup labeled with each students name that sits at that table. In the cup they have 2 pencils, and only the 8 main color crayons that we generally use throughout a day. I also have a cup at the back with all pink crayons, and all gray crayons, we use those occasionally. In the morning I ask one person from each table to grab their basket, and it sits in the center of the table. If we are working on a project that used scissors and glue, my para and I will just pass them out when they show us they are ready.
    Sounds like lots of people have lots of different ideas. This is just what works for me!

12. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 23, 2009

I have a big "community crayon basket" At the start of each day each child takes a crayon cup and fills it up with the crayons they want that day. I set aside the "cool" colors - i.e. hot pink, silver, etc. and once everyone has their cup filled, starting with the leader of the day, they each add a "cool" color to their cup. (THEY LOVE THIS!) I also have a basket of pencils, each labelled with the students' names and erasers(also labelled). I keep the colored pencils and markers in the teacher cubby, and pull them out as needed. Each student also has their own set of dry erase markers, for their doodle boards. I am pretty pleased with my system as it worked really well last year. I will have more students this year, and will probably make two morning baskets. I really liked some of your ideas and am interested to hear more!

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 25, 2009

My students also sit at tables. I use seat sacks that hang over the backs of the chairs. Each child brings a 5" x 8" plastic penil box to hold their crayons, markers, scissors and a glue stick. The containers are stored in the seat sacks. I have a basket of 'extra' crayons & markers to replace those that break, are too small or lost. I really don't like the community use, just another way of spreading too many unwanted germs. I also don't think it right to expect children that do take good care of supplies to have to use broken crayons, chewed pencils, etc. because a classmate doesn't take care.

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 25, 2009

Where do you get the sacks for their seats? I like this idea:)

15. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 25, 2009

My mom sews, and she made seat sacks for my class. I bought towels to make them. I could not afford to buy the real chair pockets. They are great because I could take them home every quarter and wash them to keep them fresh and clean. I'll send a picture later so you can see what the sacks look like.

16. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

each child has their own crayon box at their seat, but I also have a community crayon box off to the side. If they need a color they don't have they can go to this box and find what they need. Crayons break and get lost.... it's just one of those things ... !!

17. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 26, 2009

:lol: Would your mom like to sew some for me? Just Kidding, but I would definitely like to see a picture. Thank you!

18. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 26, 2009

19. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

20. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 26, 2009

Wow! Thanks 4myclass! I am so excited! :woot:

21. kinderdl

kinderdl Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I use these little divided bins that I found at Gardenridge pottery. They are in 4 colors and have 3 divided sections. I have used these for the last 5 years. They are awesome!!! I keep pencils in one side, scissors in another and the glue or crayons in the big side. Either or. They are very durable and I usually use them for 2 years before I replace them. In addition, I love the 1.99 price!! Hope this helps...

22. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Here is a picture of the sack. This year the kids are going to keep books in the sack for Daily 5.

[​IMG]

23. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

How big are these? I have very small round tables in my new room. I don't know if anything will be small enough to use in the middle of the table without getting in the way.

24. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

my kids each have their own box with their own stuff in it. I also write the kid's names on each crayon and on each eraser, and on their pencils & scissors. They are responsible for their own goods. I also give stickers on their boxes for whenever I look around and find kids who have the neatest supplies.