Crash and burn!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Aliceacc, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2007

Yesterday was the final exam for my 7th graders... not exactly their finest moment!!!

The grades ranged from horrendous to 99. The medians by class ranged from high 70's to low 80's-- but that's waaay lower than the grades they had this time last week. Their mistakes were incredibly careless-- they mis-added when balancing a checkbook; they forgot scientific notation, and they didn't memorize the formulas for Volume and Surface Area.

This grade counts as half their grade for the year, so the averages are going to take a hit.

Only 2 kids ended up failing for the year (out of 177) and those 2 have been failing all year. But the test was NOT all I had hoped it would be.

I think the problem was the timing: they have been doing well in math all year, but really strugglng in Latin. Today was the Latin test. I'm guessing they didn't study math because they were busy studying Latin.

Ah, well, "them's the breaks!!!!"

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 15, 2007

My kids finals for Math 7 (Pre Algebra) was today I am grading them right now they look pretty good so far. My Western Civlization I H Final is on Monday, hopefully they will do good, we spent the past three days reviewing!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

I always kicked myself for making those silly mistakes. I'm sure your kids feel bad about them and are vowing to never make those same mistakes ever again. Let's hope so anyway!

5. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

I had to retake Calculus to earn my college degree (I walked in December only to find out three days later I failed Calculus). Well, I busted my butt to maybe make a B. I had to make about a 90ish to earn a B in the class on my final exam. Well, because of teacher job fairs I had to take it in her office and she said she would grade it in front of me so I could just know if I made a B.

In one problem, for some reason, I felt that 8 x 2 = 14.
    In another problem in which she gave me a hint of sorts, I was like "Oh! Okay.. so its the square root of blah blah blah"... when I sat back down, instead of finding the square root, I squared the number. I made an 84 on the test and a C in the class because of those two things *sigh* stupid, stupid mistakes will do it to ya!

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 24, 2007

8th grade Algebra on our first quiz:

(Somehow I remember this)

8+x=11

solve for x. I wrote x=2. This cuased me to get a 90.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2007

Is it normal for one exam to count for 50% of a yearly grade?

The high school my girls attended mandated that the semester final account for 15% of the semester grade.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

I was wondering about that too. At my school, the final exam can count for no more than 20% of the semester grade.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

It is in both my school and my husband's.

Probably not to common elsewhere.

10. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

Those tests can be tough especially when they are the last week of school when everything else is over and other class grades could keep them from passing.

Hopefully, your school district is not like mine. After the test has been given every teacher is looked at based on how their students did on the test since each middle school in our district gives the same test.
    If you are 5% or more below the average, you better be looking for a new job which is sad because you can try to motivate your students and still be a good teacher while having bad scores depending on what your kids come in with.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2007

Well, I just finished summer school with my 2 failures. They both got grades in the 40s in that original comprehensive exam.

Summer school in my school is one week: 4 hours a day plus homework. Yesterday they took another Comp.

One grade was 75, the other was 81 :)

12. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jun 30, 2007

Final exams count for an entire quarter (so five total). Quarter examinations (commulative units test), count for 30 % of a quarter grade, and in year's total they count for 45 % (for all classes).