"crappy" paper??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dizzykates, Sep 1, 2011.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 1, 2011

Have you ever assigned a "crappy" paper? I am suppose to teach a unit on reasoning errors and common fallacies and the assessment for this unit is for the students to write a "crappy" paper. I am not quite sure what a crappy paper is so I thought I'd toss it out there and see if you know what it is or if you use it?

3. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Sep 1, 2011

Apparently, someone is telling you to assign this work; that's the person who should explain what they meant. I assume (!) that this is part of a unit on this topic, and the goal is to guide students in "persuasive writing."

I assume (!) that the idea is for students to write a paper which contains one (or more, or all) of the reasoning errors and common fallacies addressed in the unit. Given the unusual nature of the assignment, I'd want a very clear rubric for the assignment.

I can't imagine how students could do this assignment without some models/examples. ("Teachers' salaries are paid by taxpayers, so they should obey parents' instructions." "Our schools are failing because they don't meet the NCLB requirements." "Because the theory of gravity cannot be scientifically proven, it is just a theory so there really is no such thing as gravity." etc.)

For some resources on the subject of persuasive essays, see http://www.lessonindex.com/beta/persuasive_essay.htm

4. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Sep 1, 2011

That's such an awful idea!! Our goal as teachers is to teach them clean writing that is brilliant, not crappy!!! If you have a choice in teaching this DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 1, 2011

I agree. While its important for students to recognize errors and fallacies, they shouldnt have to learn them. Teach the good, sound writing and they wont have to worry about the bad stuff.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2011

I'm not an English teacher, but I simply do not understand the merits of an assignment like that.

I CAN see the merits in giving the kids a pre-written "crappy paper"-- and it would be a funny one! Then the kids have to edit it.

But I know the best way for me to learn something is to write it down. Writing a "crappy paper" would reinforce in me all the mistakes you're trying to teach me to avoid.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 1, 2011

I've never heard of it, but I don't see the merit in that. We would never ask kids do intentionally do things incorrectly in a science class! Can you imagine?

If anything we need to be teaching them to review and dissect well written professional papers (or even not so well written ones).

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 1, 2011

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 1, 2011

Wow. Finally a paper that a very poor writer that has no logic can pass with flying colors!

OK, that was a bit sarcastic. I agree with those that said having student purposely doing something incorrectly goes against everything we know about learning to do things correctly.

I say, give them a "crappy" paper and have them identify, explain why it is wrong, and possibly offer a solid alternative. This will show much better mastery.

10. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

Is the assignment actually called a crappy paper?! I can't imagine saying, "I need your crappy papers by the end of class today..."

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2011

I've said that in my head before. :lol:

I try to do a fair amount of writing because the kids need the practice! They need examples of good arguments and clear rubrics, and they need the Hammer of Thor to pound them into flyspecks when they plagiarize without even changing their copy and paste font and colors.