Craaaazy Rules and Regulations...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by queenie, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 31, 2011

I've gotten to the point where I ask the custodians for a roll of tissue, and I then pull the the center out. It comes out just like Kleenex. All the kids have to do is tear.

2. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 31, 2011

So true Melissa. Those are the parents who supply everything and even some of my wish list stuff. You are right as far as homework is concerned too. Most of the ones I've worked with make certain their kids are prepared and well-behaved. They also come for every conference and every PTA meeting/etc.

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

Very good point Sarge. Not letting people have water at school because it could potentially be vodka, I'm sorry but that is a "risk" that you have to take. Water is so very necessary. And forcing it to be bought and drank there in a common area, no way. My water from home is much more affordable.

And I am intentionally not joining in on the comments about the illegal immigrants and what they do or don't do here because I do not want to get this thread off on that tangent.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

Parents should be knocking down the doors of administration over this.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

Yup...still refining my skills at iPad touch screen keyboard.:whistle:

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

No water?!? As I parent I have a problem with not letting kids get water. My story: In June, my son who is in the AFJROTC program at school was required to wear army BDUs. This was in preparation for going to camp, it's not something they normally wear, typically, the day they wear the uniform it's a short-sleeved shirt, tie, & pants. On this day they had to wear BDUs, including the heavy jacket.

On this day it was 95 degree, the high school doesn't have air. Schools were closing because of the heat. He asked to get a drink. He was told NO. He developed a headache. Goes to his next class, tells his teacher. Thankfully, she let him get a drink & told him to text us to come get him. By this time he had a headache. Not normally a big deal. But over the previous weekend he'd been playing baseball, was batting & the catcher hit him in the head, close range. Had a CT scan done because he was dizzy afterwards.

We took him back to the Dr. Can't do another CT scan so soon. She sent us to a neurologist. (going next month, earliest we could get in).

If he could have had water when he asked for it, this would not be happening! It almost prevented him from being able to go to the ROTC camp & boy scout camp!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

Sorry that happened to your son, kpa. When my son was a HS senior,he became dehydrated as a baseball catcher as well...resulted in kidney stones:eek: you can bet I'd raise heck over a no water policy!

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

In the real Air Force, they let you have water. And you don't wear your field jacket unless it's really cold.

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 31, 2011

Sounds like you are doing the type of thing I was suggesting... Highly limiting supplies for the kids to keep track of in order to teach them responsibility and organization. Kudos for you. Sad you took my example and struggled to generalize the concept which in fact you are applying. In our elementary schools from K on have their own pencils, pack of 24 crayons, colored pencils, markers, erasers, glue sticks, liquid glue, multiple notebooks, multiple folders and more as standard practice. Young students must keep track of their unfinished work as well as homework (which I undersand a homework page being handed out at the end of the day to be brought back the next day). I'm just trying to point out that They are responsible to keep track of their individual items even though they are seated at group tables with little hands grabbing anything they can reach. This also would limit the amount of supplies the children would need to use.

However when it comes from a supply perspective, you really don't need individual packs of crayons, colored pencils, markers, etc floating around the classroom. Bins that can be brought out and shared in groups works fine. These can be saved and used from year to year (which is why after the initial start a large number of supplies wouldn't be needed). If they were school supplies and kept in bins in the classroom, regardless of the teacher that taught in that class the year prior, the supplies would remain with the grade. The only time a big outlay for the school would occur is when another class is added to the roles. Otherwise, minimal refreshing would be needed.

I dont' remember a year without using bins of crayons that consisted of partially used crayons. Schools just utilized their supplies wisely. They didn't waste nor did they think that everything needed to be fresh and new.

10. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 31, 2011

If schools allow students to leave class to use the water fountains, and if coaches have water out on the fields (we have some type of big water storage unit on a cart that they take outside), then I can see that a school can have a "no water bottle" policy. However, if they don't, I would think they are putting themselves in a position of liability if students/athletes become dehydrated.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 31, 2011

:yeahthat:

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

But does this no water policy go to teachers as well then. Isn't more distracting for a student to leave the room (if one not in the classroom) to go get a drink. They would be missing out on work time or instruction.
    There was also a mention of no food in the classroom at all for teachers or students. If I am working my way through the day and start to get very hungry while teaching, sometimes a snack is needed to keep that energy up. Small amounts throughout the day is better than a huge lunch in the middle of the day.
    Some rules like this seem quite arbitrary and more along the lines of admin. taking a power trip. If something does not impeed the process of learning, is it really necssary to ban it.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

I believe if it did, OSHA would have a few things to say about it. Unfortunately, there is no OSHA for kids. There should be.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

Regarding no food/drink in the classroom:

I often have students come in who have not had breakfast. I keep granola bars/raisins in my teacher locker for them, because I refuse to allow a 6-7 year old to go hungry.

I am a diabetic. I keep a refrigerator and a microwave in my classroom (I usually eat my lunch there). I keep juice and insulin in my fridge. I explain to my students at the beginning of the year that I may have to drink juice in front of them if my sugar level begins to drop. They are fine with it (especially when they learn that Mrs. Whatley gets irritable when her sugar goes down!).

I keep cases of water in my classroom. My students each get a bottle of water (new each week), which they refill twice each day. (The bottles and caps have their numbers on them with Sharpie.) We have had so much flu and nasty-cold-sinus-"snocky-ness" going around the past two years, that I feel that fewer germs are spread this way than by my students sharing the classroom fountain (and putting their mouths all over it - yuck!).

JMHO

15. tk1teacher

tk1teacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I had to laugh when I came to my rural county.... in the burbs no extension cords were allowed. this county has them everywhere guess our whole county is a fire hazard.

16. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 31, 2011

It took a few years to catch on, but our community has an annual "Stuff the Bus" drive. Articles were published in the paper addressing the lack of school supplies. One day, near the beginning of August, our bus company donates the use of a bus. Community members who can afford it are encouraged to stuff the bus with school supplies. I buy a few extra notebooks and pencils and have my own children put them in the bus. Representatives from each school then go and collect the school supplies from the bus. These supplies are placed in our teacher workroom and we distribute them to students in need. I cannot believe the supplies our community donates! Businesses have even jumped on board - Costco donates backpacks, Target donates supplies, Shopko, Kmart, Wal-mart are all on board as well. Like I said - it took a few years - the first years supplies were no where as numerous as now, but it truly helps!

We also have a retired counselor who began an "Angel Fund". It is a nonprofit organization who uses its donations to bring low income kids to Walmart to buy new school clothes. Each of these students get 2 or 3 new outfits, a winter coat, hat and gloves. (We live in Montana - winter months are COLD!) This is an incredible organization that has done amazing things in our community.

All of this was started with teachers and parents who saw a need and were passionate about the cause. I believe, with a little effort, every community could have great resources like this to provide necessary supplies for their students!

17. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Love this

18. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

We don't have too many crazy rules! But there is one that I just don't understand. We all know that many teachers tutor as a supplement to their income, especially during the summer. BUT...

We are not allowed to tutor students who are IN the district!!!! :confused:

This makes no sense to me!!! So in theory, I could go to the neighboring district and tutor, but not in my own!?!?

19. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

The district is extreme! We can't tutor (accept money) from our own students. But the district just seems so extreme!!

20. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

How would they know/why would they have to know? Seems like something you could easily do and get away with.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

I guess they're afraid that all the teachers in the district will conspire to lower their teaching standards and then profit from having the parents of struggling students pay for extra tutoring to make up for the ineffective instruction.

22. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

I guess years ago they had parents complain that we were some how double dipping by tutoring!?!? The thought was that we get paid all summer by the district, if you tutor, you get paid by the parents also, so that means we are double dipping!

Our district doesn't really stand up for us very well! :(

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

We can't tutor in district students that are in our same grade level....I keep plenty busy with students of other grade levels and some out of district...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.