Craaaazy Rules and Regulations...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by queenie, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

So what are some rules or regs that you have to deal with at your current school?

I'll start:

*No animals or plants in the classrooms due to "possible allergens."

*No food in the classrooms (except for snack time in PreK and K) unless we are having a party and the food for the party is sent down from the cafeteria- usually a foil-topped half frozen container of juice and a bag of Baked Lay's or crackers. If parents send in food items (candy, gum, etc.) we must send it back home with the child.

*Very limited field trips that must be pre-approved and put through the ringer at that.

*Can't send supply lists home- not even "suggestions." School must supply all items. Which really means TEACHERS must supply all items on the same amount of funding we used to get when we sent home supply lists.

*We can't have curtains or put anything on the classroom doors because it's a fire hazard.

I understand the thinking behind many of these rules, but geesh. Overkill?? :dizzy:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

One of the first things I would do is send down to the office a list of supplies that my children need. If enough teachers refuse to buy all these supplies, that is one rule that may be reconsidered.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2011

None of these impact student learning, except for maybe the suppliea...Not battles worth fighting.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

Should have mentioned that this is a DISTRICT mandate. Just got another reminder email about it from the Superintendent today...

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

I am very allergic to plants, so I can see why it isn't allowed in classrooms. My third grade teacher had them and I was constantly getting out of my seat to get Kleenex, and I spent most of my time sitting out recess for getting out of my seat during class to get Kleenex when my nose was running.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

No Lamps
    No carpets (except in PK, K, 1)
    No extra furniture (so right now I have 30 book bins of books and no shelving to put them on... they are going under the bulletin boards and the whiteboards - Until I am told they can't be there)
    No hot glue on the walls so that means that nothing will stay on the walls. (have tried 4 different things so far)

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

Well, I don't really look at them as "battles." I just get annoyed by rules that are silly. Not planning on even bringing them up to the powers that be, trust me.

However I disagree with your statement. I believe that allowing plants or classroom pets enriches student learning!

I also think using small candies, for example, to practice Math skills can help keep students engaged and is an attention getter that is perfectly fine when used in moderation. Plus it's a lesson in itself when you provide students with healthy food options and let them choose for themselves what they will have.

Field Trips are important to our kids because many of them don't get an opportunity to see museums, for example, and we are in a rural area, away from the rest of the world, really. Just getting out of the four walls of a classroom and experiencing the outdoors is a much deeper experience than opening a textbook to page 241 or taking a virtual tour.

As far as the supplies lists go, I think it can be argued that this does impact student learning because money that has to be spent on pencils and scissors could be spent on other needed items, like Math manipulatives or quality software.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

We have the normal regulations: no air fresheners or food because of allergies, nothing closer than 12 inches from the ceiling or permanent hanging from the ceiling because of fire code, no candles because of fire hazard. That's about it. :)

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

Thanks!

It would make sense for us to be able to have plants if no one is allergic, though. Don't you think?

11. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

Wow.

We can't have lamps either, I'm sure. And the extra furniture would have to be smuggled in, then would probably have to go.

We are allowed to use hot glue (low temp), thankfully!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2011

You are making it a battle...other than supplies these rules have little impact on students. You can create a very welcoming classroom climate without pets and plants...it's about how the kids feel...not about what's in the room:2cents: math manipulatives offer concrete learning opportunities but don't have to be candy. Save your energy for the things that really impact your kids. These don't.:2cents:

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

I for one am thankful for the rule that is saying no cupcakes, candy etc for birthday parties! Parents may send in treat bags to be sent home or a healthy treat.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

The no supply lists is a battle worth fighting.
    If parents are willing to supply items, they should be allowed to supply items. Quite often they don't unless they know what is needed. If you are told the school must supply all items, I would submit everything you would request/ask for from parents to the district. That would be included with a note saying that these are the supplies needed, please help. And do not buy any yourself until that rule is changed. Because barring some miracle, we all know the district wont buy all of those things.
    That is a battle that all teachers should fight.
    There is also another way to fight it, take it to the parents. If all teachers let them know about that rule, I think enough parents would make a big deal about it that it would get changed.

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

I should have said that parents are allowed to send items in, but we can't send a list requesting items or mention that items are needed UNLESS a parent asks if there's anything we need for our classrooms. So some parents continue to send in items, but I never know who wil have which items, etc. until the first week is over.

Just had a thought- I was asking for ideas for service projects. Perhaps I could have a "School Supply Drive" for some of the classrooms in our school! :lol::lol::lol:

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 29, 2011

My school doesn't ask for supplies either and we only receive reimbursement for $180 a year (includes teacher supplies and other classroom resources).

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 29, 2011

No need to argue with the poster... :dizzy: She came here to vent, suggestions and to ask everyone else what rules/regs they have in their school that they don't like.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 29, 2011

Queenie, what about food for parties, other than birthdays? Could you bring in food for the last day of school or give out cookies for St. Patrick's day?

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

My mom has always had to provide all her kids' supplies...but then, she's always worked in schools with high populations of low-income students. She likes buying their supplies because then they all, including the kids from families who could NEVER afford it, get to have the same school supplies - the same nice Crayola crayons and markers, the same everything. I think she gets $150 at her current school, but she spends a LOT out of pocket.

The last school I worked in (after-school program) did not allow ANY food in the rooms and it was a pain! The teachers hated it. But they did allow parents to bring things, although NONE of it could be homemade. It all had to be brought in a sealed package.

20. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 29, 2011

Will they let you use velcro? I like it because it is easier to get off the walls than hot glue.

21. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 29, 2011

We have some similar regulations, but our rooms are ours to work with for the most part. One teacher uses a candle warmer and we can smell it in a block of four rooms. Really loved her coffee and cream one!

District did a sweep of buildings - we had to have MSDS? forms for all items such as board and hand cleaner, rubbing alcohol, swifters, etc. and had to give a copy to the office for file. We are allowed one lamp, can't plug an extension cord into the electrified rolling cart. That's a pain because the cart only has 2 outlets and I have my projector, computer, DVD player... The usual nothing within 18 inches of the ceiling, only a certain percentage of the wall can be covered, no curtains etc. unless fireproofed or labeled fire retardant. No gum - teachers can't have it either, at least not in front of the students. Stereos are OK if used as part of lessons, nothing but science items in the science room refrigerator, etc. We also can't ask parents for supplies for the classroom, nor can we publish a personal wish list.

22. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

This will not help you right away but can help you next year maybe. When the kids clean out their lockers and book bags at the end of the year, have a few boxes for the kids to put all unwanted items in. Folders, binders, paper, notebooks, pencils, pens etc. and then you can have them for next year to use. You would be surprised at the amount of stuff you will collect that is reusable. If all the teachers do this you all could have an abundance of supplies. If the other teachers have no interest in keeping the items then ask them to collect the stuff and donate it to you! :D We do this at our school, keep the good stuff, recycle the things that are not reusable and at registration students and parents can grab whatever they need. I had A LOT of students that did not want their old science 3 ring binders so I offered to take them. This was a couple of years ago and I still have a some. I give them to students that don't/ can't get them. I gave some to my husband to use at his school for organizing paperwork....

It will take some time to go through it but not too much and it will be worth it! :)

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

Those new "no damage" things work well, too. I can't remember what they are called... Command Poster Strips (had to google it). :)

You need to make sure whatever you want to hang is either laminated or in a frame of some sort or it may damage it.

24. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

Okay, then I would not ask parents for items, but I would tell them that you are not aloud to ask them for items. That the school requires supplies to be supplied by the school and you can't afford everything. I would be upfront and honest with parents about the policy. If that happened at my school, parents would be on the phone with the school and the district in a heartbeat complaining. Parents have the right to know those policies. Don't give it, just find a way around it.
    I would have a supply list there for parents to look at when they come in for meet the teacher night that shows the things you will be using (not what you need) for the year. Then you can tell them the ones you don't have. None of that is a request, just a statement of the facts.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

:yeahthat:

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

I absolutely love Command Strips! :)

Honestly, we don't have too many crazy rules. I know a thousand rules and micro-managing can be a problem, but we actaully have the opposite...and it's also a problem.

27. FunTwoTeach

FunTwoTeach Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Wow, we don't get any amount of money for supplies. $0. I've never even heard of that. I'm jealous!! :)

I will supply students with pencils and paper, and that's it. I work in a low income school (as in 100% free or reduced lunch) and my first two years of teaching I spent HUNDREDS of dollars on supplies and things for my classroom. Now, after spending almost two years laid off and working as a substitute, I can't justify anything other than pencils and paper, I simply can't afford anything extra. Also since I have to provide these things throughout the year, it really adds up. Another expense is copy paper. We get two reams of copy paper per month, so I have to supply beyond that, which again really adds up. Throughout the years I have gotten donations from my friends with "office jobs" which has helped out a lot.

28. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

Do these hold posters on the walls well? Do they hold up to heat? Our school A/C (and heat I believe even though the heat is needed for a very little amount of time ... ) is turned off when we are not at the school .. nights, weekends, holidays. Often we will come in and if things are taped to the wall they fall down. I have found hot glue works best but our school was painted this summer and I anticipate we will not be allowed to use tape and hot glue this year.

29. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 29, 2011

My school is enforcing this rule starting this year and I have mixed feelings. I know most of these kids eat way too much sugar and fat, but birthday cupcakes... come on!

30. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 29, 2011

My district has $0 and is trying to cut back on electricity, so they made a no-appliance rule and installed new thermostats that are super stingy.

From what I understand regular classroom teachers get $10 per student for classroom supplies and then are able to get reimbursed for $130 over the course of the year. Since I'm a pull-out teacher I don't get the per student money, my principal and I have to 'find' other money to buy what I need. (The first year she was a little reluctant to do so, so I put up an "I need..." flyer in the staff room asking for donations. By the end of the day several staff members had gone to her asking why I wasn't given money for supplies. Yay coworkers :)

Teachers are allowed to ask parents for supplies, but I usually don't because 'my' kids' parents are already being asked by their classroom teachers. :\

31. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

You can argue it, but in California is is illegal. There have been a lot of lawsuits lately to support that a free education should be just that - free. Unfortunately, these lawsuits have happened just when schools don't have the budget to cover them. Almost every local district around here is getting strict because they have all been sued or are gun shy because other districts have been. As usual, teachers bear the brunt.

32. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

We have this same rule. The way I found around this is I that I got a surge protector with a 10 or 15 foot cord. I set it on the shelf of the cart and plug everything into that.

33. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 30, 2011

OMG!!! I can not believe this!! That is crazy! There has to be limit on the "free education" thing. I mean it is not too much to expect parents to provide the tools for their children to get a proper education. Espically if it's just the basics like paper, pencils, notebooks!! I would understand the financial burden of TI Graphing calculators BUT BASIC SUPPLIES???? WOW!!!!:dizzy:

34. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 30, 2011

NO way! :(

One day I had a grandparent come in and read to the kids around Halloween. She brought a packaged cookie for each child and started handing them out. I didn't know what to do. Sadly, I ended up taking the cookies back up and sending them home with the little girl and a note explaining why. I felt horrible about it!! Another time a parent sent in valentines with suckers attached and the child had to take all the suckers back off before giving out the valentines. It's like we're the food police.

35. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 30, 2011

I agree that providing supplies is the BEST way to ensure that students get the same items and the ones that are needed, AND you don't have to worry that some students will be embarrassed by not having items. I, too, would much rather purchase the items I know we'll be needing, BUT what bothers me is that the district tells parents, "You do not need to purchase supplies. Everything your child needs will be provided by the school." Like $150 will purchase everything we need in my classroom for a year for 22 students. What they mean is, "You do not need to purchase supplies. The teacher will use the money she is allotted for supplies and then she will spend her own money to purchase the rest." Just ridiculous. If you're going to mandate that schools purchase supplies, you're going to have to come up with ways for the items to be purchased.

36. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 30, 2011

This would be a good idea for secondary schools, but in my elementary classroom any leftover supplies are in pretty bad shape. I have kept scissors and unused glue sticks from year to year. I hang on to everything I can and I shop at Goodwill and yard sales to get a lot of stuff. Can't get receipts at yard sales, though :lol:

37. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 30, 2011

See, it's stuff that like this that just KILLS me! :dizzy: Is there any other profession where workers are not provided with the basic supplies they need to do a good job? I mean, really...stop sending us to 6-digit trainings and buy some stinking glue sticks! :dizzy:

38. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 30, 2011

:agreed:

39. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 30, 2011

And how many illegals are there living in California? They want a FREE education for their children and FREE supplies. (Among other free things) And they don't want to have to pay taxes at all.

My parents both immigrated to the United States as children-- their parents never had an issue with buying them supplies: they were so thankful their kids could go to decent schools and get an education! And my parents never complained about having to spend $$ on buying supplies for me or my sister.

I'm really shocked at how some people are so greedy that they want everything just given to them and don't want to help at all. This is just crazy!

40. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 30, 2011

Btw, my school doesn't have any of these rules. We send out lists stating exactly what students need, students provide each classroom with tissues, and I have a budget for about $500 for grades 3-4 and another $500 for grades 5-6 every year.

We do limit what types of food can come in on party days-- we have to be aware of peanut allergies and other food allergies. Homebaked stuff is fine as long as the parent knows if its peanut free. But we tend to ask for bagels, cream cheese, fruit, and water for party days.

41. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 30, 2011

I see very valid reasons for all of these rules. Snacks, though, may be important for some kids to keep focused. My kid, very thin, was constantly hungry. Not having food available for a snack time would not be good. But for insects, bugs, and rodents, I see why food might be limited to certain areas.

Supplies, what this means is teachers need to re-think their lessons and methods. I believe many kids are completely overwhelmed by the stuff they must keep track of. It is certainly easire to teach responsibility and taking care of something when you limit what the student has access to and what they must return to the classroom recepticles.

If every child is given 1 pencil at the start of a class (think early elementary here, not MS and HS) and they must return it when the activity or lesson is over prior to going to another class, each student has 1 thing. It isn't hard to find the missing pencil when they don't have a pouch or hard case and a ton of crayons and markers and erasers and..... That child must keep track of the item and return it. If it is "lost" it is easily spotted, floor, desk, pockets. But we don't teach this anymore. We have 6 year olds keeping track of tremendous amounts of stuff and wonder why they can't.

Fire codes have changed. You can't say anything to the principal about that. They didn't make the rule.

Plants and pets, I agree as someone that is highly allergic to mold spores (in the dirt of the plants) and fury pets. Also, don't like samanella (turtles). You want them to learn about plants, take them outside to see them when you go out for recess. Have a garden check - garden meaning anything that is growing.

I also agree with having field trips regulated. It takes away a lot of learning time so therefore it must be relevant and provide a lot of learning. It is also an expense and a liability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.