CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 14, 2009

My husband has a checker board made by his great-grandfather. It's all wood, and all the squares are different colored wood-light and dark. He's crazy obsessive about it, yet insists on putting it on the sidetable on MY side of the couch. I always set my dishes on it, and he always screams at me for that.

Well, he's obviously out of town, and I set my dishes on it last night. When I cleared them away today, sure enough, there's a RING! CRAP! It must be a heat ring, as the bowl wasn't wet. I didn't realize it was hot enough to make a ring. I can't believe this.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is there an oil you can use? Should I try to re-stain it? It looks like it just wore away the stain or something, because the wood looks like the other wood, just lighter.

I can't believe I did this.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2009

I'm sorry!!!!! I wouldn't know how to fix it. I know they make wood pens that look like crayons that you can use to cover up marks. Maybe that will help.

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 14, 2009

I am so sorry! I have used the wood pens but they do not work really well. Do you have a home depot nearby? Take the boeard to the paint department and they could help! That is definitely something that would happened to me!!

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2009

This sounds like an I Love Lucy episode, because I could see you trying to fixing and messing it up even more. That's what would happen if it was me (or Lucy) anyway.

You might just want to fess up. I have a chinese checkers board my Pop pop made, and it was the last thing he made before he passed. Holy Cow, if anything happened to that I would be MAD.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 14, 2009

This is something I would do as well. Check with Home Depot - if they can't help, maybe an arts store? I am sure there is someone who can restore the board.

I must add that it is important to change something in this set up. I think the board can be restored, but either the board has to be kept somewhere else - I would put it on a wall for decoration, or stand it on a shelf with a plate stand - or, you must rearrange things so you are never again tempted to set your dishes on his board. Get another table to put on the other side of the couch, anything, but do something to solve this problem.

I have a great DH also, but I can so see myself doing just this kind of thing. The issue is not the dishes or the board, but working it out so the problem goes away. Should be simple.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 14, 2009

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 14, 2009

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 14, 2009

If your hubby insists on keeping it out on display in THAT exact place maybe you can get a piece of plexiglass or something to put over it so you can still see it but it won't get damaged again.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 14, 2009

Thanks, guys! I'm going to stop at the hardware store and ask them. I read both websites, but the board doesn't have a finish on it-it's just stained wood. It looks like it damaged the stain. I'll see what they have to say and report back.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 14, 2009

Good luck Jem! This is the kind of thing I do regularly that I know drives DH crazy. I just don't think the way he does! Hope it works out.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

Ok. So I had a 'date' with a girlfriend tonight who's boyfriend is one of my dh's best friends. That's how we know each other. And this guy happens to be a master woodworker. He makes 3d wooden puzzles for a living. So I brought the board over to him. He lightly sanded it down with steel wool and used a new varnish over the top. But he only sanded the ring. It got rid of the white bit, but it also got rid of all the 'antique' dirt, and the new squares are much lighter. So we decided to sand the entire square area, instead of just the ring area in each square, and now there are two very light squares in the corner. We thought we could play it off, but it's super obvious in some light. So I called dh and told him that my surprise while he was gone was to re-finish his chess board, because I know he loves it so much and likes to have it out like art, so it should look beautiful. But it came out so good on two squares that I wanted him to approve doing the whole board, as it would be very drastic. He was so excited. So I think we've gotten though this one.

I will be deleting this post in the next 24 hours, and if any of you ever tell him, I will be very upset. ;)

I will also be getting a large sheet of glass to put over the top from now on.

13. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jan 15, 2009

You're kidding right? You don't expect your bf's best friend to have a laugh about the white rings? I can't imagine even trying to keep this under wraps.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

I trust Lee completely. He's a great guy, and def. mature enough to keep this between us. My husband and his friends are 29 going on 70 when it comes to social skills, so I think this will be fine. He wouldn't have worked so hard to fix it if he was just going to tell dh anyhow.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

16. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 15, 2009

GL that would totally happen to me!

18. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

I would definitely confess! He'll find out sooner or later.

19. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

:lol::lol: It's a good thing I don't know his phone number! JK! Glad things worked out and you found a solution that works out for the best for him too!

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

I'm glad that you found a way to dodge the bullet on this one!

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 15, 2009

I think someday in the years to come you will tell him all about it and have a good laugh! Like I did - when we were first married we were living on thin air. DH would give me cash each week for groceries - a whopping $60. So one day I went shopping to the fabric store. I didn't mean to do it honest, but didn't do the math before they cut the fabric. Yep, spent all the grocery money on fabric - I think I still have some of it unused 24 years later. I was just sick. I couldn't bring myself to tell him! So I took $60 more out of the cash box and got the groceries. He was a little mystified how the cash went so fast since we rarely spent it.

Years later I told him what had happened. He thought it was weird I didn't tell him at the time, but I just was so horrified I couldn't do it! But it sure cracks me up now - because I was so naive about money and budgeting, and I married a frugal guy who had handled money well since he was about 6 years old!

jem, I'm just glad the board was able to be salvaged.

22. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

If you can't be honest and truthful to the person you love who can you be truthful to? Sometimes the truth hurts but it is certainly better than trying to hide something for many years to come.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

Honesty is the best policy... unless you have a partner who over-reacts. And never forgets.

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 15, 2009

And you haven't been married a long time either right? These are the kinds of things that you learn to work out. He will probably learn to not over-react with time.

It is interesting being married. My DH and I love each other a lot, but we truly drive each other nuts at times. Sometimes he over reacts also, and I am the more laid back one. We have had lots of talks about how hard it is to admit a wrong when you know you are going to have someone mad at you over something that was an accident etc. He has worked on not being so reactive, I have worked on being more careful and telling him when I have done something that will bother him. It is all part of compromising and growing in your marriage.

Jem, I think in time this will become a funny incident. I am pretty impressed that you took care of the problem! And so what if he did find out the whole story? You still did something nice for him by restoring the board and getting a glass covering for it.

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

We'll be married three years this spring.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

I would have a problem ruining something my husband loved, then lying about it to him... and asking his friend to lie for me as well.

I say you come clean.

27. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

Aw, come on you guys....her solution makes him HAPPY....give her a break! ;)

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

linseed oil
    ...never mind- you found your own way out of it... I think I would have come clean-especially once you knew it would turn out ok...

I celebrated 25 years married to my sweetheart last month- we don't lie to each other. I've had my MIL tell me things she doesn't want my husband to know and she's told me not to tell him- I always do- my allegiance is to him.

Do what works for you though.

29. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 15, 2009

I agree 100%. You shouldn't do that to your best friend.

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009

My Turn my turn

First I wish I had see your OP straight off I could have saved you a lot of worry since I taught Wood shop for 34 years .... next time PM me so I see it sooner.
    use a little linseed oil as suggested since it is an "antique"
    but the easiest is mayo as suggested
    using "new varnish" is not good for spot repairs as you can see
    if you go "new" you have to do the whole thing.

Now as to coming clean
    Just say "since I am always putting my glasses on your board that is why I did it "......(refinished it) ... you are admitting it (just not saying when you did it) and you are not saying how bad it is.
    Also Put it on his side!!!!!!