CPS; what made you call?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Apr 16, 2015.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Apr 19, 2015

I think sometimes you have to observe the student to know how bad the situation is. It can sound alright in writing, but then you see it and you understand.

Food & health were a problem at my last school, where some kids told me they only ate at school. We had free breakfast and free lunch for everyone (Title I), including during the summer, because it was a community-wide issue.

The only time I've called about a student was to call the police, because a father was egging on two kids (4th and 3rd grade) to fight each other, shouting and swearing at them. They were punching and kicking each other on the ground. Apparently the other child had previously hurt his son, so he sent his son out to fight him, just outside of school property. I really hope CPS was involved... they were in someone else's class.

2. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 19, 2015

I haven't read the whole thread, but you can also call anonymously from home or a pay phone.

However, in my area, CPS won't even investigate unless there are signs of abuse. I guess they're too overworked to worry about neglect.

For students who are self-harming, we refer to the social worker who calls an agency called SASS. They consult and work with the family.