CPS was called on me...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Toy_03, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Apr 20, 2016

Last week CPS was called by the school (I teach with inner-city kids) because a student made an aussaution that I pinched her, but said sorry--the parent think I did it on purpose. I never pinched no touch the student at all. I don't even remember when this "supposedly" happen

Anyways the school is doing their investigation where they gather statements from the students in my classroom and ask them if I ever pinched them or did I ever pinch the student (One student said I pinched her long time ago---I don't even remember that).

CPS asked for a statement, but I am part of a Union and told them that I will not make a statement until I have my representative--Tomorrow the rep and CPS will come in for me to make a statement. Ever since 5 years ago when an incident happen and it resulted me in a warning (something like that), I have been part of the Union.

Now I am afraid---has anybody been in this situation?

They told me not to worry about it because procedure when a parent come to a school and make a claim, but I don't know who to believe. They said they will remove the student from my classroom so that they wont try anything in the future.

****PLEASE EXCUSE MY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS****

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2016

Nope. Never have been in the situation. A second student saying you pinched them doesn't make this any easier. Nor does the 'incident' from your past.

FYI: you can hit 'edit' and correct your grammatical errors.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 20, 2016

Two students claiming you pinched them makes me think that intentionally or not, you need to reflect on any physical contact you make with students.

mkbren88, a2z, MrsC and 3 others like this.
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2016

What was the previous incident?

a2z likes this.
  6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 21, 2016

Sometimes students might just chime in and say the same thing happened to them; this would be more likely if they're older, such as middle or high school and if they don't like the teacher. It can actually make it very hard, a lot of students can come up with something and it not even being true, the teacher would automatically look guilty.

This is why I love the fact that we have cameras in the classrooms and they're very good (color and very sharp), if anyone accused me of anything, I would have proof of my innocence.

2ndTimeAround and Rox like this.
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2016

We don't have cameras in our classrooms, just in the halls and the outside doors. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they were there, though.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 21, 2016

I've always wondered why some people have issues with cameras being in the classroom, especially those who always seem to be targets of kids going home and making things up about what is going on in the classroom. I would think they would be the first begging to have everything recorded.

Rox and Pashtun like this.
  9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 21, 2016

We have the option to opt out, but I love it. If anything goes missing, we can always look back. The cameras also record and they're kept for 7 days, then get recorded over. It doesn't have audio, but it provides very good visual. We can look at who started a fight, who did what, and these are important, because sometimes a student who didn't start the fight and didn't fight back doesn't get suspended, or even arrested.
    I feel so much safer having them.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2016

I thought I would really hate having a camera in my classroom because I am very self-conscious. Now that I have one, though, I find that I forget about it most of the time.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2016

I had a year where I had a thief in my class. Two students' iPhones were stolen in a row. It created a ton of drama and mistrust for that class. I honestly wish I had had a camera so we could have solved the issue and moved on.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 21, 2016

I've installed cameras in the classroom. They're my own personal ones. The school has a sign at the front saying that they WILL be recorded, and we have parent signatures agreeing for students to be photographed and videoed and even having them shared.

They are SUCH a boon, even if nothing even happened. Kids watch their behavior more when they know cameras are in the room. I can verify what kids or subs say when I have a sub.

I can watch parts of the classroom that are difficult to see during slightly crazy activities. If I ever got robbed, I would have video evidence, and I can even check at any hour of the day what's going on in my classroom, even from home.

I've also looked at video to improve my teaching and see what I'm missing, or what I should change about my mannerisms etc.

Honestly most of the time it isn't even running (because I made them myself and they aren't great), but I can just pretend that it was, and be like "should I check the cameras and see?" to get a good idea of the truth. Also only I have access to them, so it's not like admin can see me.

Upsadaisy and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 21, 2016

I would have zero qualms about cameras being in my office. Last year, my iPhone was taken by a student. It was recovered, but now I'm incredibly cautious about stepping out of my office (even for a brief moment) when students are present (in this particular case, the student's mom had arrived, so I walked down the hallway to retrieve her).

Last year during Open House, a teacher's wallet and cell phone were stolen! Cameras would've helped us see who took her belongings (we never recovered the stolen things in this particular case).

Rox likes this.
  14. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 22, 2016

I agree that sometimes students will chime in and say that the same thing happened to them even if the claim is false. It has been mentioned above that this is most likely to happen if the students are in middle or high school and if they don't like the teacher. However, I have also noticed that it sometimes has nothing to do with how well-regarded the teacher is among the students. You can be one of their favorite teachers and yet many of them want to be accepted by their peers so badly that they will falsely claim that the same thing happened to them although they know it's not true. It has also been my experience that even in the toughest of schools, there will be at least one person who was present at the time of the alleged incident and will come forward and tell the truth.

I think that having video cameras in all classrooms would help to make some schools safer.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 23, 2016

I don't like the idea of cameras in MY classroom because I don't like thinking someone is watching over me. Or that I'm being micro-managed. I've had principals before that would call out teachers they didn't like for every little thing. So if I sat down on a stool and taught because my feet hurt, I would catch hell because I wasn't moving around the students enough. That kind of stuff. I would constantly feel scrutinized. That and the fact that I pick wedgies when I'm alone in the room during planning :)

BUT...I wouldn't put up a fight or complain if there were installed. I do think in the long run it would be much better for teachers and schools if there were cameras in every class. I have a student now that flat out lies to her counselor about opportunities she's been given. It would be nice to ask the principal to share video of the girl putting her head down instead of working. Or when kids claim they need unlimited extra time but they are spending their class time playing, picking fights or sleeping.

16. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 23, 2016

I would not accept a camera (outside of my direct control) in my classroom because I don't trust my current administration one bit. If I had leaders I respected, I would be fine with it.

DressageLady likes this.
  17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 23, 2016

I guess it comes down to how your admin is. Mine is great, I never have to worry about that she's watching me or judging me. She does watch the cameras (they're on her computer) but only for students. It is very funny when she catches something I don't, and she calls me on the phone to have so-and-so student take his cell phone to the front office. The students are reminded that they are being watched.

18. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Apr 25, 2016

Toy 03 - bravo to you for making sure you are represented by the union. Make sure to document (right down date and names) any and all out of norm behaviors. I'm a little unclear by what you mean by not remembering a past incident - I have a lousy memory but I know without a doubt whether or not I have ever pinched a student because if I ever had, it would be completely out of my normal behavior. ...That comment of not remembering is,to me, a cause for concern. ...but perhaps it is just how you worded it. Be very aware however that how you word something is very important and listen to your union representation for assistance. And of course please NEVER EVER let yourself be alone in a room with a student.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2016

Is the OP coming back? I would really like further clarification on the previous incident.

20. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 29, 2016

I do not care for the idea of the potential to critique every action of mine in the classroom. Perhaps this reflect the nature of my current environment. I also think that we must maintain the integrity of a teachers word. If a teacher said something happened, then it happened. This moves to a disturbing trend I see more and more of with both parents and admin asking a student to verify what a teacher just said.

miatorres and Backroads like this.
  21. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 29, 2016

It is disturbing how there are parents and admin who don't maintain the integrity of a teacher's word. This reminds me of a witch hunt in that these adults allow children to lie and bully other adults. Needless to say, this is setting the children up for trouble later on in life because others are going to get fed up with them and be out to seek revenge.

22. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 29, 2016

Having seen students lie or misunderstand the circumstances AND seeing teachers lie or perceive situations incorrectly, I can say that I do not believe "the teacher is always right" is an acceptable way to handle things. I've known many situations where the teacher says something happens, but it didn't. They even do it to co-workers.