Coworker

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Bengie03, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bengie03

Bengie03 Rookie

Oct 5, 2012

I work in a special needs preschool and recently my co worker has started calling children babies, such as "you are such a smart baby," and such as well as telling children that she loves them. It just seems weird to me for a teacher to call a 4 year old a baby. I was just wondering if this is normal?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2012

Baby - no.

I love you - if a child tells me that, I will return the phrase or say I care about you too, but I don't initiate it.

4. Bengie03

Bengie03 Rookie

Oct 5, 2012

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that I was not the only one who felt this way. I haven't said anything, since I'm not the teacher, but it just seems weird.

5. Loony

Loony Rookie

Oct 17, 2012

Ha, my kids would flip if you called them babies. As far as they know, they're big boys and girls.

With "I love you"s, I say that at least 10 times a day... My kids are constantly saying they love me! I don't initiate it though. My little ones are very affectionate and always seek me out for hugs when they get to class/before going home, and if I let them they'd kiss me all day, lol. One little boy even told me one day, out of nowhere: "Jeremiah needs a hug a little bit" (and yes, in third person!) lol.

6. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

I agree, the students should not be called babies. They are in school now, albeit pre-school. They know what babies are and should not be called babies. That is not what they are.

7. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 23, 2012

The office staff at my school always refers to my students as babies, and it drives me nuts!! I don't say anything because I carefully pick my battles because I love these women dearly, but whenever I hear, "I called so and so's mother about the baby and she said he is sick today," or, "We have to make sure your babies get to the book fair before they go home," it makes me want to scream. Not only is it inaccurate, but I feel like it's insulting to me as a teacher. Just because I don't teach K-5 doesn't mean I'm "baby"sitting!

8. Bengie03

Bengie03 Rookie

Oct 25, 2012

Thank you, everyone. The term "babies" just doesn't sit well with me. I'm not the teacher, so I can't really do anything. But, I have commented about such and such is a Big boy or girl, and her response was : well my children are older, and I still call them babies. I didn't respond, since I don't feel it's my place, since I'm only an assistant, but there is a difference between calling your own children your baby and students you work with. My nephew is only 19 months and I don't even call him a baby anymore. I just needed to vent and thanks for allowing me to.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 2, 2012

Oh my! Well I don't call the kids babies, but I have discovered that I use a lot of endearments all day long! Our school has some very clear guidelines, and calling someone "honey" is not in them. I am working on using the child's name when addressing the child - if I slip up, I immediately correct myself.

As far as I love you, they tell me, I tell them. When they leave for the day or weekend, I try to tell each one that I love them. Many of my children do not hear "I love you" at home. Many of them go home to uncertainty, violence, abuse, hunger - it is mind boggling. So if I can send them off with "I love you" at least they know someone does love them.

Maybe you can retrain them by continuously using the phrase "my little people" whenever they say babies. Do it with a smile and they will get the message.