COVID exposing administrative dysfunction

Discussion in 'General Education' started by flapjack, Oct 22, 2020.

1. flapjack

flapjack New Member

Oct 22, 2020

This is more an invitation to commiserate than a specific question:

The challenge of remote and (now hybrid) instruction has really exposed the toxicity and dysfunction of my administration. Their decision-making is chaotic and reckless, and they bully teachers. A year ago, I'd hoped to stay at this school for a while, but now I can't wait to find a new school.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is COVID exposing/amplifying the dysfunction that was always present at the administrative level? If so, how are you coping?

Or: do you have any stories of an administration that has been managing these challenges with grace and compassion? We need those stories too.

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Oct 22, 2020

I’ve always thought well of my admin, but this year has me realizing that my job has a lot in common with an abusive relationship. I will not be returning to my school next year, regardless of whether I have a new job lined up or not. I almost didn't come back this year, and I wish I had resigned over the summer.

Thankfully my husband and I can afford for me to be unemployed for a bit, but it’s far from ideal.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2020

Stress either brings out the best in people or the worst. Unfortunately, there are school administrations that seem to follow the less positive direction.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Oct 22, 2020

That's how I felt back in May. When my position got cut because of budget cuts/COVID, they offered me building sub instead. Nope. I wasn't going to do that to myself. We were playing musical admins before lockdown and it got crazier during. The new grand poobah is a terrible leader and the other person with a degree of sense decided to leave. I didn't like the odds of having 1 out of 5 admins I could trust not to throw me under the bus.

Spring was a nightmare of inconsistency and inability to make a decision. Pure incompetence reared its head a few times. I'm happier with my cruddy rec. center income than I would be subbing in that mess.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 22, 2020

So far, all I've caught is my principal (who is actually superintendent over three schools) forget to notify the teaching team of a Friday workshop. Fortunately, she has been so amazing, to the point she has invested in masks for all of us, we all forgave her.

Tired Teacher and mrsf70 like this.
  7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Oct 23, 2020

At my school, I think the admin are trying their best. We have had students in the building for the first time this week and it has been crazy. Procedures are all different, different grade levels are on different schedules, ect. I have left exhausted every day this week but I don't blame the kids or admin (or myself) for any of it. I think there are some things that just have to be worked out in person to get right and I think we will get there.

Only complaint I have is that we are still doing zoom meetings. I feel like there cant be a less productive setup than a group of teachers trying to work out schedules, procedures, and troubleshooting over zoom. Meetings that would previously have been simple now are making me frustrated and more confused than I was before the meeting.

8. flapjack

flapjack New Member

Oct 23, 2020

Good to know that some admins are handling this well. I hope next spring I'm able to transition to a school that has competent leadership. Any suggestions about how to suss out the competence of leadership during the application and interview process?

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 23, 2020

I think my admin are handling it very well, though we're a purely virtual school.

My SiL, on the other hand, is on a PIP that essentially about making her classroom cuter (yes, she showed it to me and I can't think of a more accurate description). Really. This is the year an admin wants to be that fickle.

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Nov 1, 2020

I know a few teachers who have been dealing with this too. If admin has that tendency when things are normal, I think stress makes it worse for everyone. It is good you spot it now and make decisions to get yourself into a better school next year.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 2, 2020

Well, we are F2F in school and do not have a principal on campus (she is working from home). The only dysfunction I can see is that administration did not keep teachers accountable before COVID and they are definitely not doing their jobs now. I have found myself preparing extra lessons for another classroom because their teacher is either always out or just doesn't have anything prepared. Nobody has figured this out yet because there's just not any accountability. They aren't doing observations right now or drop ins (I really wish they would just drop in during the day so they can see which teachers are NOT doing anything).