COVID-19 closing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Mar 12, 2020.

1. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 2, 2020

How often will you all have meetings?

2. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 3, 2020

We got an email today that everyone needs to call all of their students and see who does and doesn't have internet and a device at home. Only those kids get paper packets.

I don't have to do that because all of my kids are already 1:1, so we are already online. We don't have many kids without internet access, thank goodness. The toughest part is that all of my SED kids besides two don't have internet. They need the most support, but they have the fewest resources at home.

All of the sixth and seventh grade teachers have to get Google Classrooms made and all of their assignments online this weekend. I'm surprised more of them haven't tried that already. We had all of the kids for two days before we left, so they could have found out who did and didn't have access and devices.

3. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 3, 2020

What district are you in, Ima?

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 3, 2020

I’m in a teeny-tiny district in east-central Kentucky. Nobody ever knows it. DH’s district is in an adjoining district, which is in the top 10 largest in the state . . . but it’s still pretty small. They have like 11,000 students, and we have like 2500, if that.

5. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 3, 2020

We don't have even have half that many.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 3, 2020

We have some smaller districts nearby. I like working in a small district. We have between 150 and 200 kids per grade level.

7. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Apr 4, 2020

I totally missed this, but the Peace Corps suspended all operations world-wide back in mid-March. 7,300 volunteers evacuated from 61 countries. "Temporary", but who knows.

"Temporary" for the organization, but all volunteers were terminated. Done. But they get some kind of evacuation allowance in addition to regular readjustment allowance and two months full health care coverage. Pretty rough.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 4, 2020

I do too. I have 2 parents now that I work with who are nurses and have told me some bad stuff about patients ( no names given). I have relatives that are drs ( mostly East) and 1 has been texting a lot upset.
    I have never heard her go off on a rant before like this or to even use the word: "fools" to describe people/ hospital system until recently. Not only are they being exposed, they are seeing some really bad cases.

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 4, 2020

Ours still is doing it daily. I think they should give them bags of oatmeal, beans, rice, peanut butter, crackers, and healthier shelf stable food and be done w/it. Almost 0 parents who get free lunch here work. They can at least cook for their kids. Instead of stuffing them with things like pop tarts, sugary cereals, granola bars ,and snack foods that the school passes out for breakfast and lunch. I shake my head over the crap our schools feed kids.

Linguist92021 and Backroads like this.
  10. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 4, 2020

That requires effort, and well............

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 4, 2020

And well, when their kids are whining that they are hungry here, parents will cook. Our area may be unique, but people in this area think kids just need to be happy all of the time.
    The parents seriously would complain, but cook the oatmeal if their kid was hungry.
    There is a problem though of kids here who would refuse to eat it because they want Pop tarts. ( I still get disgusted that it is considered a fruit! )
    If the parents could handle seeing their kid unhappy, they could put the cooked oatmeal in the fridge and tell them when they are hungry they will zap it for them, and that would work. ( If the parent wasn't giving them junk in between.)

12. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 8, 2020

Add Washington to the list.

Idaho is closing throughout the end of the academic year, but yet are letting local districts re-open if their social distancing measures are lifted.........????

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 8, 2020

Ours has weekly pickup on Mondays. They put together packages of five breakfasts, five lunches, and five snacks. Parents or kids can pick up one per kid 18 and under. I feel like this is a good compromise. On that day only, public transportation is free only for kids going straight to pick up meals and straight home. City buses are enforcing social distancing and sanitizing as best they can.

14. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 10, 2020

Add Pennsylvania to the list.

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 11, 2020

That makes more sense to me.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 11, 2020

DH's district started doing the weekly food delivery either the second or third week. I'm not sure if we are still doing daily or not. Our district is 100% free lunch, so anyone 18 and under can get food.

Our custodians have been painting common areas. The building looks really good. I had to run in the building and pick up something Wednesday. I just walked to my room, said hi to a few people, and left. Several people were hanging out in the office. Nope. Not doing it.

whizkid likes this.
  17. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 11, 2020

:toofunny:

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 13, 2020

You would think this would be common sense but many feel entitled to the free food even if they are able to buy their own food. Many have been banking on schools financially supporting their kids so they end up having more kids than they can afford.
    ***Just my theory, no need to say I 'm wrong :)

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 13, 2020

I plan on grilling for lunch today (we just got in an order of meat and the freezers are bursting). We live a block away from my daughter's elementary school. Maybe I should set up in the front yard and compete. I'm sure my burgers are better than what they're serving.

20. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Apr 13, 2020

Anyone on here from the Richmond Indiana school district?

21. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Apr 13, 2020

What are the statistics in your area with regard to this? Just curious.

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 13, 2020

I think it's good you or anyone to share their opinion on the forum. Please allow me to share my opinion as well as I have had some experience that might be helpful. I have done a lot of volunteering in giving out food through my church to those in need for well over 10 years. I know this is a little different than a school, but similar as the food is often available with few questions asked. My experience has been that very few who can afford food ask for food. Yes, there are exceptions. IMO, I think the reason for this has to do with how most people view food. Most people want the items for themselves and their family that they like to eat. When they can afford to do that, they choose to go the grocery store or restaurant themselves. Getting food from the school, church, or other organization means getting whatever they give you and having few choices. While this is popular for those in need, it just doesn't seem very popular with those who have plenty of $$. Yes, there are exceptions (I have seen it), but it is a very low percent.

a2z likes this.
  23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 13, 2020

You won't be able to find statistics on people wanting free stuff.

whizkid likes this.
  24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 13, 2020

I was just responding to the poster that said if their kid is hungry enough they will buy/cook them their own food. Some I have heard just get the free food because it's there. Mostly comments on Facebook groups. If it's not correct then I would have no idea since It's just what I read.

whizkid likes this.
  25. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2020

For most kids that definitely works.

26. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 13, 2020

Louisiana is done.

27. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 14, 2020

Mississippi is done.

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2020

Florida has finally caught up with the rest and are out for the year.

Backroads likes this.
  29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 23, 2020

I found out today that my district's last day for students is May 8. They will have the following week to complete any missing work. During that time teachers will have department meetings, team meetings, and time to shut down classrooms.

DH's district is closing for students on May 11. I'm not sure what the plan is for the rest of the contract days for teachers.

30. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Apr 23, 2020

Gov in my state announced Friday we are done for the school year. Strange thing happened to me afterwards. I went from waking up to 25 emails from parents & students to 5 on Monday, 3 yesterday, 2 today. I was getting emails all day until 9-10pm. This week, get a sprinkle of them past 2pm. I think parents were at their tipping point with home schooling and that announcement erased all hope. I don't expect to see much productivity in May.

whizkid and bella84 like this.
  31. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 23, 2020

Similar here... Although, I never had an overwhelming number of emails, but the parents still seem to have mellowed out now, a few weeks in. Our local news station even sent out a mass survey via their app: "With schools now closed for the year, are you still doing remote learning?" I guess they've realized that parents just don't prioritize it, and they are doing a story on it. Honestly, it doesn't bother me much. I teach first grade, and this is not make or break for these kids. They'll be fine even if they stop doing school work now.

32. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 23, 2020

Up until now work has been nice and leisurely, but now it's on! I find myself sitting down at 6:30 am doing paperwork (1 hour before contracted time) and at times I work way past the end time. There is a lot that needs to be done and from now on until the end it will be a little stressful.

Our deadlines are these:
    - last Thursday and Friday students picked up packets.
    - next Thursday they will drop off all their work and pick up the next 3 weeks packets
    - by May 22nd they will have to drop off all their work, no exceptions.

So right now all my students have 6 weeks worth of work out there. 1 week from when I saw them last, then 3 weeks when we weren't supposed to give them work and these last 2 weeks. So can you imagine all that, 22 students x 6 weeks work coming back next Thursday (+ the 3 days they will hold it for) and then I will have 3 weeks to grade it??
    then when they drop off their last 3 weeks work, we will have barely 1 week to grade it and then close out their files. Closing out their files takes 1 week. We have to add up and print their credits earned make copies, make copies of their contracts and track down all the teachers that are involved in any of their courses for signatures. This will be insane.

And in the meanwhile still making phone calls - we call them once a week at their appointment time, which means 4-5 kids per day for me. But we're having longer conversations, on average we talk 20-30 minutes, not even about their work because they have that, but about everything else. They're just more talkative now.

the only thing I can do to ease the problem is that I asked at least half of my kids to see if they could drop off any work they have done tomorrow. They can only drop off work Tuesdays and Fridays. So by getting some of their work a week early, I can get on it and it won't be so much. I still have some things I need to grade in their files but I am already making their next 3 week packet because it will have to be dropped off by Wednesday. And plan 3 ELD lessons.

My head heart just thinking about it. This type of work (independent study) includes a lot of paperwork, something as classroom teacher I never dealt with, s that I start doing in the early hours.

33. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 4, 2020

Colleges and universities are considering canceling in-person classes this fall.

34. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 4, 2020

We're closing a week early for students; May 15th is now their last day. It's supposedly so the district can collect devices the next week. We were told we'd be doing PD and such that last week, but it doesn't sound like it will be much. Monday is a work day for report cards and Tuesday we'll be doing class lists. Wednesday-Friday we'll have an assigned time to come in and shut down our rooms so they can make sure not too many people are in the building at once. It won't be normal closing procedures- P said to throw away trash, take personal items home, and clear counters.

I think the district may be envisioning more PD happening, but it's kind of hard to do PD when you have have literally no idea what the next school year is going to look like. My P has already said she's not going to just make up stuff for us to do. Something a little funny is that we had this ridiculous teacher work day the day after Memorial Day. We've always been able to check out as soon as we're done closing up rooms, but right before the closures district made a nonsense power move and said we'd all be staying until 3:30 that day- even though there's nothing to do and we'd all just be sitting around. Now of course they can't make us come in so it's a "work from home work day" ;). Even the most workaholic teacher isn't going to be able to come up with any work to do that day since again, we have no idea what we're actually doing next year.

35. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 4, 2020

Our last day for students was supposed to be the 15th. They moved it up to the 8th, and we have that last week off now. Then, there will be some days where we will be required to work after the stay at home order lifts in our state. This was a last-minute change, so our principal asked us to keep accepting work, especially from seniors trying to graduate, up until the 15th.

36. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 4, 2020

Is anyone else’s district doing remote PD and curriculum work? Our district usually offers opportunities to earn extra pay over the summer for anyone who participates. They are still offering it all this summer, but we get to do it remotely. That means that we log in for a few random zoom meetings, and then we do the actual work at home, on a flexible schedule. And we still get paid at the same rate as if we went in to the buildings to do the work. Normally, I participate in very little summer work, but I’m taking advantage of the extra pay this year.

37. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 4, 2020

We had 2 so far and another this Friday.

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 4, 2020

Our last day for students is Friday. Teachers work 5 days over the next two weeks. They have all of our PD for summer scheduled online.

We are supposed to start back the first week of August, but I don’t see that happening.

39. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 5, 2020

Do you think your state will have digital distance learning capabilities for all students by then?

40. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 5, 2020

For all students? No. We still have places with no access to internet or cell phone service. My district, however, will have 1:1 Chromebooks for grades 6 to 12. (We currently have that in 8 to 12.)