COVID-19 closing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 16, 2020

A lot of younger people I know 30's ( nonteachers), are not getting this in their heads. They are healthy and if they got the flu, they'd get over it. They think it is being overly dramatized. They don't really have that social consciousness. Maybe if they had grandparents nearby, they'd get it easier.
    In the meantime, they are going on w/ life exposing themselves in places like gyms, restaurants, and gatherings. I wish they'd just tell every1 that has a nonessential job to stay home for a month. It would really screw up our economy, I know. Not only would it "slow it down", maybe it'd die out.
    People in a lot of northwestern states are usually prepared for emergencies and most are willing to help neighbors when they can where I am. I know it is a different story probably in cities. They'd have to set up some kind of feeding centers probably. I'd guess ( maybe wrongly) that our country has stores of things for people in need.

mrsf70 likes this.
  2. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 16, 2020

Our governor is discussing online and distance learning with the department of education, seems he thinks schools will be out a good while.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 16, 2020

It is good that they are preparing in case it is needed. I think it may be needed up here too because spring comes way later than it does in other states.

4. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 16, 2020

They'll have to supply the funding though for technological access for kids without it. How long could that take? A lot to think about.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 16, 2020

Officially we are only closed until March 30th, and next week was already spring break. No one actually believes that though. They have just closed all restaurants and non-essential businesses until May 11th. I don't see how they can say you can't go to a restaurant, but then go to school. I expect we'll be out the rest of the year.

Since right now it's technically only an extra week, we haven't had any expectations for e-learning yet. I'm sure that will change and nobody has any idea what it will look like. We are a 1:1 district and devices were sent home with students, but most don't have parents who have the skills/availability to help them at home. I work with K-2 students and without significant parent support I don't see how they can possibly get anything done with "e-learning."

We were also told that school being closed doesn't change IEP deadlines and were instructed to hold meetings remotely. We did a couple today and it actually worked out better than I expected. The issue is going to come when we get to Tri/Initial meetings (of which we have TONS of this year) and the testing can't be completed because we're out of school. No word on what we do then yet, even though my team has asked. I wish my district would quit pretending we're all going to be back on March 30th like normal and let everyone know what the actual plan is.

whizkid likes this.
  6. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 16, 2020

Great point

7. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 16, 2020

Well, that would take thinking on their part, and well, ya know.......

otterpop likes this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 17, 2020

This doesn't apply to me since I don't have to teach my students remotely but I do have 2 out of district kids who I had to email packets of work to. For everyone who is giving/sending work to students at home, do you actually think they are going to do it? Do you think the parents are going to enforce "school time"? They can't even get homework done 20 minutes a night? How are they going to get a whole day's worth of work done every day at home? It seems like teachers are going to be going through an awful lot of trouble preparing and delivering this kind of instruction when they might not be cooperating on their end at home. Anyone have an opinion on this? Teachers, that is.

9. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Mar 17, 2020

This will likely grow the gap between the supported and the not. That said, do we do nothing because of that? I vote to provide some type of academic support. But, accountability seems like a difficult venture.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2020

I have to agree with you. If I was still teaching, I would not be happy about providing so much work that wouldn't get completed. Over the years, I have sent numerous packets home for children out of school and the vast majority was just left on a shelf in the home. Invariably, the excuse was "Oh, we just didn't have time". I would ask the student what took up so much of their time and the answer was usually sleeping late and playing video games.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2020

At this point, we haven't been asked to provide any work; this week is our Spring Break and then we will be out until April 6th. I posted some suggestions of things to do on our Google Classroom and will update that regularly starting next week. I am also fully aware, though, that those who most need to do some academic work will be those who will do nothing.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 17, 2020

We are closed through April 13th at least, but I predict a longer closure. We keep online office hours from 9-11 and 1:30-3:30 each day, and post assignments Monday, due Thursday or Friday. We are required to take one or two grades a week.

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 17, 2020

I think about 80% will put in their best effort on the homeschooling / online education front. This is a total guess though. Of those, I imagine about 75% will do quality work and the other 25% will submit with that only kind of comes close to my requirements/directions. That makes it worth it, though, to me. At that point, if the kids aren’t learning or don’t complete the work, it's on parents.

Backroads likes this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 17, 2020

My students have autism and other disabilities. I have to construct a 10 day packet to send them to work on at home. If you've ever worked with these types of students, you know that most of our work is hands on. They don't pay attention to worksheets. I could send tons of work but it's probably not going to get done. The students just aren't used to that type of work. I'm thinking it's the school districts who are pushing for the work but there's an obvious reason these students are NOT IN THEIR HOME DISTRICT! They are in our school because they can't do regular work. How thick headed are these people?

whizkid likes this.
  15. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 17, 2020

[​IMG]

16. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Rookie

Mar 17, 2020

This is interesting:
    "Test center closings due to COVID-19 (coronavirus)

As COVID-19 continues to spread globally, our first priority is health and safety for employees and candidates. Starting Tuesday, March 17, we are suspending test delivery at all U.S.- and Canada-based Pearson VUE-owned test centers for 30 days until April 16. As a result, most test appointments in this timeframe have been cancelled. "

Those are the only places I've seen that offer CBEST, CSET and CTEL. I don't know if that is specific to my area. But that is likely to impact new teachers trying to get qualified for next year.

17. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 17, 2020

Kansas is done for the year. Looks like California could be next. Our state has passed a bill to keep paying employees while this shutdown continues.

18. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 17, 2020

Texas could shut down for the year too.

19. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 18, 2020

I’m gonna be honest with y’all. My sleep cycle wasn’t great to start with but with us being out of school it’s terrible.

20. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 18, 2020

On a side note, what happens to those up for tenure if school is cancelled for the rest of the year? Got 3 (including myself) in my school in this position!

21. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 18, 2020

I’m not sure how your school/district is doing it, but considering we’re doing the online classes we’re counting it as “classroom” hours. Everyone’s raises, evals, tenure, etc are safe and protected.

22. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 18, 2020

Florida has canceled all testing and Arizona might keep kids at home for the rest of the school year. Colorado could follow suit.

23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 18, 2020

We just got switched to remote teaching.

Furlough is cancelled, classified employees are getting paid anyway and on call.

We also had an earthquake.

Yeah... Teaching...

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 18, 2020

Central Valley, Ca.
    (alternative ed, high school) Our school is now closed and we're working from home.
    Yesterday, at 7:30- 8 they briefed us about what to do and how to do it. We had until the end of the day to get it done.

1. We made packets for each of our students for the next month. We are independent study although some teachers teach up to 6 classes a week (I teach 5), so the average teacher has 29 student, I have 22 and some have less or more than me.
    The interesting and worrying thing was that they told us to only give remedial work, to "keep their skills sharp", didn't say what subject or how much. When I asked they said "give more than less". The students cannot earn credits at this time !!! Because they cannot get attendance, they cannot earn credit. We're only out for 3 weeks (as of now), but we have lots of graduating seniors who could be in jeopardy, and lots of students who are doing 45-50 credits instead of 30, and this will set them behind.
    The funny thing is when we got back to our rooms (we have 4 teachers in my room) they said they will not let their students fall behind, they will get them their regular work, no one will know when they got it and no one will check. Me, being the upstanding citizen who doesn't want to go against the rule :) I gave them their regular work and remedial work.
    We were told at 1 pm that we also had to call all our students to come pick up the packets by noon today. Super short notice.
    We included a letter from the school but also many of us typed up a separate letter for each student explaining things. There were many educational websites listed and locations where to pick up lunch and breakfast. We also had to pack up our things and cleaned everything because it will be thoroughly disinfected

We are all working from home, we are all getting paid. We are to call each student twice a week, every week and keep an organized call log. I didn't want to give out my cell #, so I got a Google Voice number and that can also be turned off outside of working hours and go to voice mail. I will also be monitoring a lot of progress through Google Classroom, a lot of students are doing their work there, and I can also stay in touch with most of them via GC.
    There were questions and not many answers. Will we have graduation? Are our graduates even able to graduate? Are we working in the summer? (they said possibly, which mmade no sense since we're working now, so why and how would we? I think they might offer summer school for students and then teachers can sign up to teach it) We're told to worry about the NOW and not the the THEN.
    This is unprecedented so our school district did the best it could. I'm sure they're consulted all the rules, laws, Ed Code and how the local school district is handling things. But, they don't have an answer to a lot of things so we'll just have to wait and find out.
    Our governor is now suggesting that schools might not pen until fall. I think it's too much. He's suggesting and then it will just happen probably.

Lots of uncertainties. I personally like my new work situation. we're not confined to our homes, we can go and take care of things we just need to have our phones on. Obviously no one is going to abuse the situation.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  25. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 18, 2020

I've heard some suggest summer school, but with the amount of money already being spent by states to get districts going to online learning, that would require even more money.

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 18, 2020

Our school is not doing online learning, at least not in any new format. I don't know a lot, but from what I'm seeing we're not really spending any more money. Teachers are not going to call out sick or take personal days so no money on subs spent, no electricity, etc. The learning part is not any additional money so I think we could probably afford it. We couldn't in the past years, but I'm thinking there may be funds allocated for situations like this.

Just got an email from our director just touching base. He also wrote to start thinking about how our instruction will look like on and after April 14, but also think about what it will look lie it we don't come back until August.
    And overall, it sounds like he knows something and is trying to slowly get us ready.

27. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 18, 2020

I hope not. I think that would just be the cherry on top of the ice cream. “Oh by the way! Even though you guys worked from home and online for those two weeks we’ve decided the students didn’t receive enough classroom time so we’re extending the school year by three weeks! Isn’t that so exciting!?”

28. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 18, 2020

Folks, I think we're headed towards a total shutdown for at least two weeks.

29. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Mar 19, 2020

We are working remotely, with eLearning 2 days a week for students, the other 3 days using government waivers for student attendance. We received an email yesterday that building are now closed to staff. Our tentative return date is April 13, but with Covid-19 being in the acceleration phase and not being anywhere near the peak, I don't foresee going back this year. Just my honest math teacher opinion ;)

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

For my students who are at home (most live on campus) we submitted packets of work to be mailed to them. We can not remotely teach them because the teachers are in school all day teaching the rest of the class. Most are autistic students for which online teaching would not work. We have to assume the parents are working with them on the work we send. The rest is out of our hands. I'm just giving them the same work I already have for my other students. I'm not staying late or coming in early. They will get what they get.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 19, 2020

I met in person with my grade-level partner yesterday. We knocked out our activities for the second 10 day cycle and had copies made for the kids who don't have internet at home. While we were at it, we divided up tasks for completing work for the rest of the school year.

I took my classroom plants home. Took food home. Took the rest of the supplies for my classroom pets. (I took the pets home day 1.)

I went to the hospital for two tests yesterday. They had impressive precautions in place.

Backroads likes this.
  32. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

Fresno is on "shelter in place". All non-essential business are ordered to close. I live 20 minutes away in another city and I'm surprised they haven't followed.

I have made contacts with some of my students yesterday. I have to say I find it that we are going to have an even closer bond this way, it's just a feeling I got from those few short conversations. After all, I'm pretty much their only connection to school and I'm going to do everything possible so that they're updated and they have someone to talk to, really about anything.

a2z likes this.
  33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

They have suspended the state tests that my students are supposed to be taking. We were going to start March 3rd I think. It goes until June. I'm hoping they just cancel it because if we are out for an extended period of time it will be too difficult to get all the testing in.

whizkid likes this.
  34. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 19, 2020

We have been out of school since 2 Saturdays ago. Around noon I was at a restraunt with my motherinlaw when the district called the waitress who had a kid in my district...this is how I found out school was canceled the first week.... then this week all the schools in the county have been canceled and as of today we are now under legal shelter-in-place orders for an indefinite amount of time.....our governor does not think schools will be opened again this school year....meanwhile our district still has no official distance learning plan in place yet. They are working on it, and I am eagerly awaiting it. Unfortunately, last Friday my son started coughing and having a runny nose. No fever but we have been self isolating ever since just in case. I have had to try to figure out how to teach prek to my daughter also....

35. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 20, 2020

Our testing has been canceled. We're out through mid-April.

36. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 20, 2020

Same here, but I highly doubt we'll go back on the day they say. I honestly think they're just presenting it in smaller chunks to be more palatable to parents- originally March 30th, now April 20th. But restaurants have already been closed through May 11th and and other non-essential businesses until April 30th. I can't picture them saying it's not safe to go to a restaurant but it's safe to go to school. I don't think we'll be back at all this year.

whizkid likes this.
  37. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 20, 2020

I've had a few coworkers and friends say the same thing. Could very well be the case. We're about to proceed with lunches to go, homework packets and distance learning.

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 20, 2020

It could depend on when your school lets out for the year. If you get out anyway in the beginning of May then it makes sense to be out for the rest of the year. We don't get out until the end of June so there is extra time. I don't think anyone really knows what the time frame will be.

39. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2020

Well the UK 'closes' all of its school today (Friday). Except it isn't closing them. They have to stay open for the children of key workers so that they can still go to work. The Government has produced a list of key workers. For some schools they will still be full of kids! I just started a minimum 8 week placement on supply (Subbing) so I am now out of work. Subs won't be being paid. We may be closed until the new year starts in September.

40. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 20, 2020

For us summer school is not an extension of the school year. Teachers who want to work, work.