Covering Science Leave vacancy

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Mary Fitzgerald, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Mary Fitzgerald

Mary Fitzgerald New Member

Sep 8, 2019

I'm currently and ATR, I'm a certified teacher but do not have a permanent school. My credentials are in Reading and ELA. This year I find my self the position of Science teacher. Any advice you can give me in regards to dealing with typical 7th and 8th-grade issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 8, 2019

No experience with MS students before? This age grouping is actually fun in science, assuming there will be hand's on experiments/inquiry projects.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 8, 2019

To be blunt, lol I do not like kids at that age, in groups. Even my own kids drove me crazy at that age.
    However, there is a very bright side. I know several people who love teaching that level. They don't take anything personally. They have a unique sense of humor too. They are nice people. So...hopefully, you can make good coworker relationships.
    At this age it is usually "all about me." Anything you can do to help them with self discovery will probably be embraced.
    I wish you the best of luck. The teacher's I 've seen be successful in JR High are a unique group. PS Only JOKING! I might start with dissecting the mouthiest 1. :)

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 8, 2019

OK, you got me. I am one of those teachers who loves 4-8 graders, might go as low as 3rd in an emergency, but definitely not the K-2 if I have any say in it. I "get" MS students and I love the voyage of self discovery that they are on. I've taught all of the subjects in MS, and enjoy Science, ELA, and SS the best. You're right about one thing - when you can help them try new things, things they never thought they could/would enjoy, and help them find success along the way, you will be one of the teachers they will remember fondly forever. I just think that science, with the hand's on components, lends itself well to self discovery and new interests.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 13, 2019

Vickilyn, I don't get them or like them either.. :) OK Maybe 1 on 1 for short periods of time. :) I have a wonderful cousin who would not think of moving out of JR High. She's 1 of those unique people! :)
    Oh, K-2 is exhausting. You are on w/out a break. I have done those grades before. Give me 3rd or 4th and I am a happy camper. I love those ages.

vickilyn likes this.