covering everything

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tinadog, Oct 28, 2008.

1. tinadog

tinadog Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

I just haven't been able to get all my subjects covered each day - I teach self-contained 5th. I don't feel like I've gotten much accomplished this year so far due to so many extra curricular activities and the lack of focus and motivation of my students. I'm starting to worry. Is this normal some years?

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 29, 2008

I feel the same way. I don't think my students have really learned anything this year and it really upsets me. There is just not enough time and I don't know what to do. So yes, this is totally normal. I wish I had some advice for both of us

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 29, 2008

I'm not even self contained, and I feel the same way! It's hard to fit every little standard into a block that's 2 hours long. We can only do so much :(

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2008

This is the reality of teaching. Our curriculums are a mile wide and an inch deep.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2008

I does seem pretty difficult to get everything in. What helped a lot this year was to map out the year with everything. I downloaded a blank calendar for every month and started typing in when I knew I had to be finished with certain topics due to Benchmarks and THE TEST.

Then I backtracked and started breaking everything down. The county does it, but it's not specific. I chose a different color for each subject and popped them in so that every day had the topic in each subject.

I know it's not set in stone, but it helps keep me on track.

7. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

So true. According to a study (TIMMS) Singapore, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Belgium, and the Czech Republic are considered to be "A+" countries in math. (as of the last study that I read... the countries could have changed if there is a more up to date study, but I know the US is not on it..) One of the leading reasons why the US is NOT on the A+ List is because of our curriculum - too many topics are asked to be covered. It was determined that the countries mentioned above focused on fewer subjects but in greater depth.

Hmmmmmm if only we could do that....

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2008

I'm with you.

9. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

"Fewer subjects but in greater depth." That would be great. The kids just get really interested in a topic and we have to move on. It would be nice to have the luxury of time to explore things that interest the class.

My teaching partner and I sat down on Friday and mapped out our week in ten minute increments, and then began revamping our schedule to fit all of the specials and time in which kids were out of the classroom. We felt like we weren't managing everything because we would have half the kids for a bit and then the other half. We looked at these times and figured out how to better utilize that time and take advantage of a smaller group. Our younger students seem to have the attention spans of a gnat, so hopefully the changes we made will help.

10. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2008

You guys have no idea how much better this thread makes me feel!
    Some of you might not know I homeschool my 8 yr old, third grade daughter, Jeannie. I also have to drive her to her specials, the furthest being 45 minutes one way. We lose a big chunk of time all but two days a week. It is so very hard to squeeze every subject in each day, but we squeak by. With the additional reading, planning, and previewing I also have to do to be prepared, some days I feel like I'm going in circles!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 2, 2008

I can only say, prioritize and combine. Prioritize which information NEEDS to be coverd and mastered, which material SHOULD be covered but not necessarily to mastery, and which material you would LIKE to cover or introduce. Teach in that order. Combine by teaching standards across the subjects. Find activities that cover math and science standards at once. Language arts standards are often taught in many different subjects. Some social studies can be taught in a variety of places, and geography seems to pop up all the time. Really, this is the best advice I can give since it is about the only way I can make things work for me.

BTW I almost never cover every subject every day of the week. Point to a week in my plan book and I'll point to a day we did get everything done.

12. ladyK

ladyK New Member

Nov 2, 2008

integrated learning

Yes, you can try an integrated learning approach...pick a topic (say, spiders), and use that to teach every subject...novel studies, writing projects, spelling, science, geography, even math (think webs)....that way learning can be deepened and more interesting to the students.

I don't do this all year, maybe just twice a year for a couple of months. The other months I may do a lot of random stuff.

I also feel the frustration though of trying to fit everything in!