Cover letters for online application systems?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kerfuffle, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

Not sure what to do...

The local school districts are using online application systems, which you fill out and then click "apply" when you see a job posting you are interested in. There is a page for attachments, and cover letters are not requested. Should a generic cover letter for the district be included anyway?

What would you do?

3. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Jun 15, 2008

Yes, you should include a generic cover letter. The WECAN application system in Wisconsin has an online application system also. There is a place for attatchments. Although cover letters are not requested, there is a tip on the website that if you are adding a cover letter as an attatchement, make it a generic one and not to any specific job posted. I would do one. It is a bit harder to write but research the district and it should become easier to make it general.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 15, 2008

Are you using EdJoin?

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 15, 2008

I see some districts on edjoin request cover letter or letter of recommendations but some do not. I would still submit it. It may just help your online app. stand out among the many. It shows you are not blindly sending out applications.

Stephanie

Stephanie

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2008

The purpose of a cover letter is to let the reader know why you are sending them what you sent with it so they will look at it. It seems to me that, unless the posting asks for one, it is superfluous in an online system. They already know why you are submitting the information, it is in response to a posting for a specific job or a pool of jobs. I have never submitted on online unless it was asked for.

That said, if you are going to submit a cover letter, IMHO you should make it as specific as you can to the position or pool of positions you are applying for to hook the reader into looking further.

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 15, 2008

What has worked for me in the past is to submit all the required documents online, then send a cover letter/letter of introduction via email to the listed contact person. It can help get you noticed in a sea of applicants.

8. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

Oh, that's a really good idea! And yes, one of the systems is EdJoin.

Thanks to everyone who responded. :)