Cover Letters and Resumes - questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AnonyMS, Mar 7, 2009.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 7, 2009

I've been reading the cover letters posted on here and they all seem REALLY LONG. Any advice there?

Also, if sending one's resume by e-mail, should the cover letter be the body of hte e-mail or should it be an attachment like the resume?

Also, has anyone here really had great success with a different, STAND-OUT resume? Perhaps an unusual font? Or a border on the resume? Or, if sending resume physically, then a colored paper (what color)? Or a background paper (I dunno... blue paper with faint clouds or whatever)?

THANKS!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2009

I agree about some of the cover letters I've seen posted. I think the problem is that a lot of people (justifiably) post a rough draft, not really knowing what employers are looking for. A few paragraphs are all that's necessary-- but the content in those paragraphs is important!! This is your one opportunity to let a potential employer know that he needs to talk to you!!

When I last applied for jobs, I sent the cover letter in the body of the email, with the resume as an attachment.

And I would stay away from any resume that doesn't shout "PROFESSIONAL." Border and clouds are for things you give to the kids, not for a professional hoping to be regarded as such. Let your resume stand out because of its content, not because it's saccharine.

4. palla

palla Companion

Mar 7, 2009

I usually send the cover letter as the body of the email. I keep the cover letter to three paragraphs. You don't want the cover letter too long, especially when it is in the body of the email.

I would use standard resume paper. Although borders and/or colored paper would grab the attention of the employer, I am afraid it would be the wrong kind of attention.

5. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

I inlude the cover letter in the body of the email, but usually attach it as well. That way, the principal can have a more "printer friendly" copy if they want to print it out.

6. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 7, 2009

I usually include my cover letter as the BODY of the email....not an attachment.

I have heard you dont want to use an unusual font.....use a standard font.....

7. AnonyMS

Mar 7, 2009

Resume font suggestions, anyone? I don't care for New Times Roman and I read somewhere you always should use a Serif font.

I agree about the decorative paper, but I keep reading "hints" that say to use a different colored sheet of paper (but not flourescent).

Yes, I was thinking that the body of the email would be the cover letter. I like the idea of it ALSO going as an attachment.

And what about "Thank you" notes? Are they sent via e-mail these days, too? Or still handwritten?

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2009

For resume/cover letter font I really like arial narrow and underneath my header I use a subtle dark blue line to separate my contact information from my resume/cover letter to help make it stand out without it being too much. If I'm e-mailing I usually have a short message that explains what I'm applying for and that my resume and cover letter are attached. I think that if you have enough time it's good to send a handwritten thank you note, but if not e-mailing is fine.

9. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

My resume is currently written using Arial font. I have also used Bookman Old Style.

10. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 8, 2009

I think the standard font is most important because if you are sending the resume as an attachment, the computer opening the resume may not have the same fonts on it and this will cause the formatting to change. You could always make the resume into a pdf file though and not have to worry about that.

11. AnonyMS

Mar 8, 2009

I was assuming that the resume is sent as a PDF. Otherwise, it could be altered (not saying it would be).

Heather - what is "the standard font"? That is what I don't know.

12. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

ITA. Most of the cover letters posted on here are way too long. The person reading your letter and resume has only a few seconds to glance it over - they want to see quickly what you can bring to their school - they could care less about the significant event in your life that made you decide to become a teacher.

I also agree that colors and decorations are way to kitschy. Sitck with good quality white or cream resume paper, and a professional font (arial, tnr, etc.)

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

A career center counselor from my university had told us to use Arial or Times New Roman. She stressed to use no larger font than 12 (main body) and no smaller than 10 (main body).