Cover Letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by stephanie90102, May 21, 2007.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

May 21, 2007

I would love and appreciate some feedback on the content of my cover letter! Thanks!

I am applying for an elementary teaching position in the Enfield Public School District. As a 2006 graduate of Westfield State College, I have student teaching experience in first grade and prepracticum experience in grades three and four.

In addition to my undergraduate teaching experience, I have been a per diem substitute teacher for the Enfield Public School System since the beginning of the 2006-2007 school year. During this time, I was also asked to be a long term substitute first grade teacher. I spent approximately four months teaching twenty first graders at Henry Barnard Elementary School. This placement solidified my hopes of one day becoming a teacher for your district.

My main reason for wanting to teach in one of Enfield’s public schools is because I grew up in Enfield. I attended Enfield schools for my pre-collegiate education, and would love nothing more than being a part of the fine district that has helped shaped me into the person I am today. Giving back to the community and schools that fostered my growth and development would be an honor.

It is my goal to combine my experience as a teacher with my passion for teaching, understanding nature, and intelligence in order to make a positive and lasting contribution to the Enfield Public School District. I would welcome an interview with you at your earliest convenience. I hope to hear from you soon.

3. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 22, 2007

You might want to edit to eliminate prepositional phrases...put more emphasis on your credentials... put your substitute teaching in the first paragraph.... reference your resume somewhere.

And address what are you going to do for them, the current letter is all you. And, how are you different than all the rest of the newly minted teachers?

4. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

May 22, 2007

Personally, I think you need to do more to make your cover letter stand out from the crowd. Remember, the person reading your cover letter may very well be reading over a hundred cover letters...after a while they all start to blend into one another...

Here are a couple of articles that may help you think differently about writing cover letters...the positive feedback from using this approach has been amazing.

Hope it helps...

http://www.teaching-tips-machine.com/teacher_cover_letter.htm

http://www.teaching-tips-machine.com/example_teacher_cover_letter.htm