Cover letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss Steele, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Mar 25, 2007

Any advice on this would be helpful! Also, on a resume - how many bullets are too many under one job??? Thanks!

Dear Mrs. --,

As a life-long resident of -- and a 1999 graduate of -- High School it has been a goal of mine to teach in the community that I call home. I have spent the past two years teaching preschool children for -- County Head Start and, as much as I enjoy what I am doing now, I am ready to be part of a school community which is something that my current job does not offer. I believe that my experience at Head Start has prepared me for the open position of Kindergarten teacher at -- Elementary.

My enclosed resume highlights some of the ways that my experience has prepared me for this job including:

 Collaborating with Special Education teachers
     Working as part of a team
     Communicating with parents
     Preparing lessons using the curriculum and standards

My goal as a teacher is to start my students on the path to becoming lifelong learners and I do that by getting them motivated and excited about learning. I hope that after viewing my resume we will have a chance to further discuss my qualifications. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Me
    Phone
    Email

3. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Mar 25, 2007

I think it is great. At the very least I would want to interview you because you obviously know all about the community in which you would be teaching. Your letter does a nice job of giving just enough information so that the person would want to meet you.
    Good luck!
    Kelly

4. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Mar 25, 2007

Thanks! I just discovered the job this weekend and was searching elsewhere online and saw another posting for it that said the deadline was tomorrow. I'm going to drop it off on my lunch break!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2007

You're going to hate me!! :(

I think your letter concentrates too much on why you want to work there; not enough on why THEY should hire YOU.

Share a story or two that illustrates your love for learning, or your love for the kids, or better yet, a success you've had with the kids. Make them want to talk to you to hear more.

edited to add: I just looked up some of your posts for ideas. Here's one:

"I have a "word wall" in my circle time area. Everyday the child signs in their name (I accept whatever they give me) and they find their card that has their picture and their name on it. They put the card on the word wall under their letter before they get a book to read. During circle time, we sing a song about the first letter of their name that I made up: (it's not to a tune of a familiar song so hopefully you can come up with something!)

Hey friends there's someone we should know better
    We know his/her name starts with the letter.
    (Student whose turn it is says the first letter of their name)
    D, D, Dallas, D, D, Dallas
    D, D, Dallas, D, D, Dallas

And we sing it for every student. I have had success with this; most of my students know at least the name of the letters in their classmates' and teachers' names and a lot of students can recognize them all. A lot of my students come in without knowing anything about letters. We also do a daily message that we write together and that helps them learn letters, too. "

Talk a bit about that-- about how each student has his or her own version of the song. It helps them learn their letters, the names of their new friends, the meaning behind letters, and so on.

6. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 26, 2007

I would not use bullets at all in a cover a letter. I would turn the bullets in to one or two sentences. A cover letter is usually
    1. what job applying for and where you learned about it
    2. what makes you special-what can you do for the school
    3. Additional skills or special circumstances (for example, if you are returning to teaching or a career changer)
    4. closing and phone number to be reached at-Ask for an interview. I can be reached at 888-777-444 to set up an interview
    hope this helps

7. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Mar 26, 2007

Thanks for the advice-- I really wanted constructive criticism or else I wouldn't have asked. I already turned it in so I hope it worked. I'll keep in mind everyone's advice for future cover letters.