Cover Letter Tips

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FarFromHome, Jan 11, 2014.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2014

I will be applying for jobs this hiring season and have a question about my cover letter. I don't want to post the letter on here because it contains specific information about my current position.

The question....I am certified in both music and elementary education. The majority of my experience has been in regular elementary classrooms, and I'm guessing this is the type of job I will end up with. However, the past two years I have been teaching music. I have a TON of responsibilities with my music job that I want to include and emphasize. BUT, since I most likely will not end up with a music job, could it cause me to be overlooked if I am talking about a music position in a whole paragraph of my letter?

Basically, do you think it's ok to have one paragraph be about my music experience and one paragraph about the regular classroom? My main concern is that most jobs I'll apply for will be regular elementary, but I would like to be considered for both types of jobs if they're available. The main website I'm using to apply at this time only has you upload one letter, so it is not specific to schools and districts (they post jobs state-wide).

Hopefully that makes sense- I'm exhausted and about to go to bed! I would love any advice or ideas that you have! Thanks!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 11, 2014

I think it's fine. Could you do two versions? If it is a music position you could put the music paragraph first and the general Ed classroom second, and you could switch the order of the paragraphs for a non music position.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2014

Thank you! I will definitely do that when I apply to individual districts. For the more generic one I might switch the order also. I always want to put my most recent experience first, but I don't want them to read about music first if it is not a music position.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2014

Unless what you're doing in that music vignette can't possibly be generalized to any other kind of teaching or learning, I think you're worrying more than you need to.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2014

Ok, thanks TeacherGroupie! Part of my letter includes how teaching music will benefit me in any future position. I just tend to overthink everything!