cover letter review

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lillebe, Jul 5, 2007.

1. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I know it's probably annoying reading cover letter after cover letter, but I was just wondering if anyone could look over my cover letter and critique it. I have an interview on Monday, and I would like to have a great cover letter to start off on the right foot.. thanks!

Dear ____________:

I am writing to inquire about any available elementary teacher positions for the 2007/2008 school year. I understand that ABC School District seeks to (insert school philosophy). I believe that my desire to teach and my strong belief in a constructivist classroom will help me meet the goals I share with your school district.

My experience is relevant and extensive as described in my enclosed resume. What my resume cannot illustrate are the intangibles that set me apart from other candidates. I place a high standard on learning; I believe that education is not only academic - it is emotional, social, and physical. A teacher should be a facilitator or a guide to hands on learning; not just the knowledge-giver. As a teacher, I seek to support my students’ learning, and work to shape them into life-long learners. I believe that it is the responsibility of the teacher to present the curriculum and material in a way that works best for the learner as an individual.

I have completed over 250 hours of observations and student teaching in various elementary school classrooms throughout Long Island including; Special Education, Inclusion, Resource Room, and Mainstream classrooms. Each observation has enabled me to work both independently and interdependently with students and cooperating teachers in a classroom setting.

This fall, I will begin working towards a Master’s Degree in Special Education (1-6) at XXX College.

As a tutor in both the Hempstead and Roosevelt School Districts, I had the opportunity to work with a diverse student population. My students were not only culturally diverse, but diverse in learning levels as well. Since the students were learning at different paces I needed to differentiate my instruction and create exciting learning opportunities in order to teach them according to their unique needs. As a result, I have become a much stronger educator.

The education program that I was enrolled in at 123 University broadened my awareness of current trends and developments in the field of education. I am confident that my professional hands-on experience and formal Childhood Education qualifications will contribute to the education your school district provides. I look forward to meeting with you soon to discuss how my skills can meet the needs of ABC School Dsitrict. I can be reached at the above telephone number and address. Thank you for your time and consideration.

3. teach101

teach101 Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I think it looks pretty good. I personally would take out the part about the Master's degree unless you know they are interested in someone with a Master's.- sometimes it means they have to pay more for you once you graduate which would not be an advantage. Also, I would move "The education program that I was enrolled in at 123 University broadened my awareness of current trends and developments in the field of education. " to the end of the third paragraph -that way your closing is focused on them contact you because you are the best fit. (also use "in advance" when thanking). Good luck!

4. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

Thanks for the input. Good point on the Master's part- At first I thought it might be a positive to show I'm going for a shortage area, but I think your right it could be looked at as a disadvantage.
    Thanks again!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

I would leave it in.

In NY you HAVE to get your Master's eventually. And having another special ed person on staff can't be a bad thing.

I think I would find a way to play up the experiences in Roosevelt and Hempstead. Do you have some concrete results you can point to? Both of those districts struggle so much-- if you could point to a concrete success, even a small one, it would personalize your letter and give them a taste of you.

And, honestly, I would concentrate more on the interview than the cover letter. It's what we normally use to get them to read the resume. They've already read yours, so I wouldn't worry as much about it.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you interviewing? (And, no, I'm not the competition. I'm staying where I've taught for 14 years :) Feel free to PM me or to ignore the question.

6. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I would like to add the following as a concrete example, but not sure how to word it:

I assessed the students' progress by using Running Records. When I was finished working with my students, they were all able to read a complete leveled story on their own, which was 2 levels above where they started. (Not sure if this makes sense)

This is the paragraph I will be adding it to:

As a reading tutor in both the Hempstead and Roosevelt School Districts, I had the opportunity to work with a diverse student population. My students were not only culturally diverse, but diverse in learning levels as well. Since the students were learning at different paces I needed to differentiate my instruction and create exciting learning opportunities in order to teach them according to their unique needs. As a result, I have become a much stronger educator.

7. Ally

Ally Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

Cover Letter

I would agree that you should not include that you are working on your Master's. I worked at a district last year that had a new tuition reimbursement program. When I inquired about the process of application, no one really new anything about it. I realized that there wasn't an official process, really, no formal form to fill out. My principal didn't know the procedure until she called the central office and inquired about for me. I was told by my principal that I could write a letter and ask for the reimbursement from the business office. I did. I was told that upon successful completion of the course with proof, they would pay a portion, not to exceed a certain amount in a year. I would also need the principal's signature for approval. Anyway, after completing the course and then my acceptable performance evaluation (not exceeds, as I have repeatedly received in past performance evaluations in other districts) from my principal, she refused to sign it. Needless to say, I didn't receive any tuition reimbursement and I am no longer there.

Just want you to be careful about what you tell them. They don't need to know all of your business. Best of luck to you. I am also looking for a new teaching position.

8. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 7, 2007

I think this is too long. Your letter needs to be short and sweet!

9. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 7, 2007

I would discuss this during an interview & not in the cover letter:

"This fall, I will begin working towards a Master’s Degree in Special Education (1-6) at XXX College.

As a tutor in both the Hempstead and Roosevelt School Districts, I had the opportunity to work with a diverse student population. My students were not only culturally diverse, but diverse in learning levels as well. Since the students were learning at different paces I needed to differentiate my instruction and create exciting learning opportunities in order to teach them according to their unique needs. As a result, I have become a much stronger educator.

The education program that I was enrolled in at 123 University broadened my awareness of current trends and developments in the field of education. I am confident that my professional hands-on experience and formal Childhood Education qualifications will contribute to the education your school district provides."