Cover letter questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lakenjade, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 26, 2009

I am a military spouse and am trying to figure out if I should mention it in my cover letter. It would explain the job hopping that is so obvious and that most interviewers freak out about. Any help would be great! Thank you guys for your help!:thanks:

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 26, 2009

Do we know each other! Lol! My issue as well. I have moved 4 times in 2 years and I felt like I needed to explain why I have all these sub jobs on my resume from all over the place! So what I tried to convey in my cover letter was that now that I know we are settled for while I am excited for the opportunity to have a "real" job with x district. Then I tried to make my sub experience look positive by telling how it was good that I worked in various communities because I gained experience in multiculturalism and classroom management. Does that make sense? pm me if you want and I will send you my draft. It is still a little rough.

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

Hmmmm... that's something to think about.

How is your FUTURE stabilty (in terms of staying where you are) looking?

Have you thought about... is it even possible (I have no clue) to teach ON a military base? I have NO IDEA how these things work...but do they have their own schools for military kids? Or one that is somehow connected to the base?

I'm taking a shot in the dark...but if you are a base teacher...maybe that would make the military think twice before assigning him to yet another location.

You may laugh at how naive I am... but i figured i would bring up ideas.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

What I meant to say is... it would explain your moves...but if i were an administrator..it might also scare me to think you would up and move from MY school as well.

I'm not sure WHAT I would do.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

Heather...
    Sounds like you are putting a good spin on a touchy situation!

Good for you!

7. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

I am not planning on moving again because my husband is fairly close to retirement. Also the job fair isn't for the DOD because most military kids in the States go to civilian school. The school on Lackland isn't DOD. The problem I am having is that my work history can be described as "sporatic" at best. None of these jobs are in education. I have done a lot of volunteer work but have not been able to keep a job due to the fact that my husband always seemed to get sent on short notice temporary duty assignments. Now that my kids are older, I do not have to worry about day care, so that won't be an issue. I know that if I can get to an interview it won't be an issue because I am fairly good at explaining the situation. My concern is that I won't get to that point!

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 27, 2009

I don't know what DOD means.

9. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

:eek: Sorry! DOD means Department of Defense! Overseas bases have DOD schools. Lackland is the local Air Force Base and I mentioned the base purely as a reference. The children that do live on base attend the school there and even that school is a city district school. I am not attending a job fair there (only because they aren't having one!)

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

Lakenjade, I worked with Killeen ISD and for one of the elementaries on post. I'll tell you, a large majority of KISD teachers are military wives and the district is very understanding of people coming and going. I'm assuming San Antonio is the exact district you're seeking employment from and considering Lackland AFB and all the other AFBs, the district has already experienced the coming and going of military wives that are teachers. I think that principals would see your sporaditc history and just know that you were a military wife. Now, if you were going to a town that had no local military base/post, they probably wouldn't have much of a clue unless they had experienced the nature of military life before.

11. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 27, 2009

Here is a little of my letter. I tried to get across the point that I CHOSE to sub and not try to teach when I knew our time was fleeting, but now that we are settling in one place I want to pursue my own classroom.

. Since graduation I have relocated three times due to my husband’s military service. Because I knew our time in each location was brief, I chose to substitute teach in order to stay involved in education and expand my own teaching repertoire. Substituting gave me the ability to practice and grow in my classroom management skills..........
    I am very excited to now be able to settle down in Hawaii. Hawaii has a distinct history of blending cultures and creating community. Living in such dissimilar communities: California, South Carolina, and New Hampshire, has given me a unique outlook on socioeconomic status and multiculturalism in my teaching..............

FYI, a lot of bases will have a school on the base, but it is operated by the local district. When you go overseas, those schools are maintained by the Department of Defense (DOD). Those jobs are golden because they will transfer you if your spouse is reassigned (if applicable) and the pay is much better than a normal teacher receives. Everyone is eligible for these jobs and they are great to look into if you want to live overseas. There is a website if you google DOD teachers.

12. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

THANK YOU!!!:woot: You have no idea how much this helped me! It has given me a good idea of what I should and shouldn't do! I was worried about how to word it and now have a few ideas! Thanks lady. :hugs::thanks:

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 27, 2009

I think your paragraph says it well..though I WOULD add the fact that your husband is nearing retirement- and there fore you are staying.

But between you and us... if he DOES retire...will you stay there or move "back home",
    wherever THAT is?

14. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 28, 2009

He is close to retirement. We have decided that we like it here! On the off chance that they do reasign him for his last year, I intend to stay here instead of removing the kids from school and quitting my job again! He and I have it worked out so that I will never have to move again.