Cover Letter Question

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by erinmarut, Mar 27, 2006.

1. erinmarut

erinmarut New Member

Mar 27, 2006

Hello All! I'm new to this site and so far have found it to be a great source of help. I have some questions about writing my cover letter.

Currently I live in Oregon, but will be moving back to New Jersey this summer. I haven't had a teaching position for two years due to the fact that I was helping my husband build up his dental practice. I have volunteered consistantly at the school I formerly taught Kindergarten. I have also volunteered at another local school on a weekly basis with the SMART reading program.

I am so not inspired by my previous cover letters. I don't know where to begin at this point. I feel like I have so many things stacked against me...not "teaching" for two years, living in another state....

Does anyone have adivice for me?????

Any suggestions on what I should include would be greatly appreciated!

~Erin

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006

Start to focus on what you've accomplished. Teaching KDG and volunteering in other schools is something you should highlight. Is there a particular school that you're interested in? Can you find out a little more about that school or schools? Mentioning in your cover letter that you are interested in specific things a certain school has to offer shows that you've done your research and you mean business. I have some other examples of my past letters if you're interested, they might give ideas....Also, if you could hand deliver and follow-up with a phone call or stop in. How about requesting an informational interview with principal?