Cover letter- please critique!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Mar 18, 2013.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Mar 18, 2013

I am planning on going to a job fair on Wednesday looking for a position in western PA. The number of districts actually from my area are pretty slim [about 10 out of the 112 total districts that will be there], so I would really like to stand out to them.

I know my cover letter could use some work. I haven't decided yet if I will create a separate cover letter for each school or just a general one. But here is my general cover letter. If anyone can critique it and give some feedback I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here it is:

To Whom it May Concern:

I am interested in being a teacher in western Pennsylvania. I am a Pennsylvania certified teacher in grades K-6 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education Services from "X University". Currently, I am a substitute for "so and so school districts". I will also be obtaining my Master of Science in Special Education from"X University" in December 2013. I have worked in daycares, schools, and also as a Therapeutic Staff Support to students with disabilities.

I believe that along with my love for children, it is important to bring extra experiences and real-life examples to each lesson as an educator- that is what I am passionate about. Even as a day-to-day substitute in my current position, I try to show my love for teaching and children by adding a “little something extra” to the material I teach each day to different classes.

My experience with children goes beyond the classroom. I knew I wanted to be a teacher from the time I was two years old, according to my mother. Having younger siblings gave me the opportunity to work with children as early as seven years old. I have always been driven to get involved with children. I began working in the classroom at age twelve as a volunteer working in the CCD program at my church with a special needs child. I have always been driven to work in as many formats as possible with children to get a widely ranged background in education. I believe that my years of experience with children, from daycare settings to elementary, middle school, and high school classrooms as a substitute teacher, make me an ideal match to be a teacher in your district. I thank you in advance for your consideration for this position. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to critique this!!! :)

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 18, 2013

I'm trying to put myself in the place of a principal. There is nothing that really stands out. You show that you have a little experience with substituting and daycare work.
    Is there anything that you do that would make you stand out from other teachers. For instance of you're strong with technology and you used it during student teaching. Tell how you used it and how it impacted your students.

4. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Mar 18, 2013

I am strong with technology but had little access to it while student teaching. I did an intervention project using RTI while I student taught, that might be something I could use? I don't see a whole lot of that done in most of the districts I sub in now

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2013

Plan on producing a unique letter for each application. With current technology, it's not that difficult, and districts like to believe that an applicant actually knows something about them.

Your letter shows some issues in organization: your first paragraph touches on your desire for a job, your license and license program, your current employment, your plans for additional licensure, and your previous employment, in that order. That's a lot of ground to cover.

Have you got a nifty anecdote about making a difference for a kid?