Cover Letter or Essay

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissH225, Mar 18, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

A corporation I am applying to gives you two options
    In 500 words or less:
    1. Write an essay detailing personal accomplishments, interests and/or experiences that support your belief that you possess the qualities necessary for being successful in the position you are applying for.
    2. Turn in a cover letter

I think I'm really start to over think some of my applications in and some ways want them to be perfect (though I know that's not possible) b/c I'm so worried for the job search this year.

Anyway which do you think would be better to do? The essay or cover letter? I mean it would be easy to just do a cover letter b/c I already have one done. However I feel like what asked in the essay isn't all included in my cover letter.

3. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Mar 18, 2009

well the essay sounds very similar to a cover letter to me - i would incorporate the prompt for the essay into a cover letter and get the best of both worlds

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2009

I guess I would do whichever one helped me to shine and shw the district about what assets I would bring to the district that isn't included in my resume.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you were to write the essay, would you be repeating what is already in your resume or would you be sharing a different side of you that shows why you'd be a good fit for the district?

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2009

You could incorporate what they are asking in the essay in your cover letter..And then you could use that cover letter for other districts. :whistle: