cover letter... my turn... take 2

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by clarnet73, Aug 6, 2006.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

OK, here's another cover letter that could use some tweaking. I tried using some strategies from the eBook, we'll see how it goes.

background: this is a private school, the website and posting refer to curriculum differentiation, team player, multiple learning styles, etc. I tried to include all of this to show I've done my homework.

This is going to be e-mailed so it gets to her first thing. I'm not sure I like the third paragraph, and is the PS too bold? Also, should I email this as the body of the email and then attach my resume or do it some other method?

Thanks, guys. :)

August 6, 2006
    (name)
    **** Elementary School
    **** Rd
    (city, state, etc)

Immediately Available Experienced Team Player for Chesterbrook Elementary

Dear Ms. ***,

I was delighted to find the posting for a second grade teacher at *** Elementary for this upcoming school year. I have experience with second grade, and love both the age and the curriculum. As you can see from my attached resume, I have a wide variety of experiences with students of varying ages and ability levels. I look forward to using these skills within your school.

Although my most recent experience has been with preschool special education students, I have learned many skills that are easily transferable to elementary grades. Differentiating curriculum for each student in my class is something that comes naturally, whether or not a particular child has a documented need for specific accommodations. I enjoy the challenge of using multiple learning styles to help each child develop in their own unique way.

I believe literacy and integrated curriculums are crucial components to a quality education, particularly at the primary level. I also believe in the value of small class sizes and parental involvement. *** would be a perfect fit for me!

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you soon regarding this position.

Sincerely,
    Emily **
    (phone)
    (email)

P.S. As requested, I have attached my resume. Please let me know what additional information I should bring when I meet with you.

3. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 6, 2006

Maybe instead of a PS use an enclosure and list resume then state that your references and any other requested documents will be provided at an interview. Just my suggestion.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

Thanks, JW. I got the P.S. tip from the eBook Adam posted, but I'm not sure about how it looks as an email. I really like it for a hard copy but am a little unsure about using it in an email. Anyone else?

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 7, 2006

I used the P.S. in an e-mail to a principal to say that my complete application was on file at the district office. I got a call the next day. I can't for sure say it was because of the P.S., but it didn't hurt!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

Thanks, Erin! :)

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 7, 2006

Maybe in the last paragraph you say, I believe.. you could restate that to say something like

I share the same views in literacy and intergration as _____. And maybe don't say it is the perfect fit for you but the perfect fit for them.

Does that make sense?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2006

I agree: I wouldn't emphasize that its a perfect fit for YOU; turn it around to how you're a perfect fit for THEM.

Good luck-- and get going with the emails!

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

OK, here's a revised third paragraph:

Like ***'s philosophy, I believe literacy and integrated curriculums are crucial components to a quality education, particularly at the primary level. I also agree in the value of small class sizes and parental involvement. *** is looking for someone who shares so many values!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2006

How about:

"I'm so glad to see that West School and I share a common philosophy! Literacy and integrated curriculums are crucial components to a quality education, particularly at the primary level. I also agree in the value of small class sizes and parental involvement. For these reasons and so many others, I belive I would be a perfect fit for West School!"

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

Love it, Alice! I'm stealing it and sending the email.

Thank you thank you. :)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2006

Good luck!!

Then send a revised version to every school you can think of, regardless of whether or not they have opening or whether you've already applied there.

It's August; time for full court press!!

Good luck!!

Oops, one more thing: you have "acquired" skills, not "learned" them!

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

oops... already sent. Will fix that on the next ones. ;)

14. astewart

astewart Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Just a small note - "curriculums" should be "curricula"... gotta love weird plural changes! :)