Cover Letter Help =)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsHoot, Feb 5, 2009.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

Hello all!

It is that season again. =) I am trying to revamp my cover letter for a position that I was emailed about. I have to submit it by the 9th of February- I sub at this district (or have once), so I;m not sure if this limit is so that they can release it to the "public" after that? I don't know. This position is for the 09-10 school year and does not specify the position- just a K-8 teacher. It says early childhood or 4-9 certifications are accepted. Do I mention the K-8 teacher position? Or just ignore specifying the position with the district.

I am also not sure who I am sending the app too- it's online and I am not sure who to Dear it too. Is there a general line that I can use there? Or should I look up the HR person on the website and address it to them? Or do I use the superintendent? I am very unsure. I am in the process of looking over my old letter now and I will post it on here for critiques. I know it's not going to be super fantastic or as good as STGs, but I would like to get a job. Therefore I need advice! Thanks for any suggestions.

3. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

K here's the cover letter. I haven't taught yet so it's hard for me to say too much. =P I kind of modeled after STG in my opening line-- If you mind, I will take it off!!!

February 5, 2009

Dear Sir or Madame,

Your school district deserves to have a teacher who is passionate about students and who is willing to do whatever it takes to meet students’ needs. I am excited to provide my future students with a safe, accepting environment and a teacher who is thrilled to work with students every day.

I graduated from Iowa State University in December 2007 with a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education. I am currently certified in Ohio to teach grades K-5. My passion for teaching drives me to strive for excellence in any classroom. I have grown as a teacher through substitute teaching as well as my student teaching experiences. I have become more experienced in working with students of all backgrounds and ages and am able to provide students with a positive and accepting environment.

All students can develop a love for learning. I am passionate about my students and the knowledge that they bring with them to the classroom. At the beginning of the year, I get to know students through interest surveys, candid conversations, and through their peers. I use this information to plan lessons to build on students’ strengths. This builds up students’ confidence and provides them with a successful learning environment. I also use students’ interests to create lessons that are relevant to their own lives.

Students should be treated with respect in the classroom. It is very important to me that students feel safe in their classroom. I create a positive and open environment where students can share about their lives. Each morning, students will take part in a morning meeting to talk and to bond with each other. Students will learn that the classroom is a place to build relationships and treat people with respect.
    I will build a positive, safe, and respectful learning community where students will develop academic enthusiasm and become lifelong learners. I would love to further discuss my qualifications with you at any time. I am available for an interview at your convenience and you may contact me at (222) 111-xxxx or by e-mail x@gmail.com. I look forward to speaking with you!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2009

No, I don't mind if you use it. :D Thank TG because she's the one that helped me with it.

As far as your letter, the first paragraph sounds like it could be written by ANY teacher. All teachers want a safe and accepting environment for their students and thrilled to work with students every day. The second paragraph can be found on your resume. I would exclude that from your cover letter.

5. piggy2009

piggy2009 Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

wow. you have a very long cover letter.

since i'm also having trouble writing a cover letter, i don't think i can give you any good advice on what you wrote. but i agree with smalltowngal, the first paragraph can be written by any teacher. however, i think it applies more to younger children.

6. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Feb 6, 2009

No offense meant by this statement, but I think the "Dear Sir or Madame" introduction sounds strange. I have always used the person's name I am writing to. If I sent my cover letter to a district in general, I used the name of their human resources director. One thing I did this past summer when I was job searching was I sent resume/cover letter packets to all the principals in a district I was interested in in addition to filling out the online apps. Read websites carefully though, because some districts specifically state to NOT send packets to individual principals. I worked diligently for several months, but I did get two job offers this past summer. I was very lucky! Best of luck!!!

7. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

Thanks guys. LOL I was going to change the sir or madame when I figured out who I was sending it too. =) In the sample cover letters that I've seen over the internet they include the blah stuff in the second paragraph. I guess I don't really know what else to include because all I've done is student teaching and some random substitute jobs. So I feel like I'm lying when I say "I do this in the classroom..." because I don't or I haven't yet.

Thanks for the responses, I will keep editing. I'm hoping to ahve it finished soon so that I can send it in tonight.

8. smalltowngal

Feb 8, 2009

You could always say, "In my student teaching placement, ........" or "When I was substitute teaching, .....".

9. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

Thanks, K I re-vamped it and added and moved some things around. Hopefully I'm not way off base??????

Your school district deserves to have a teacher who is passionate about students and who is willing to do whatever it takes to meet students’ needs. I will provide my students with stimulating lessons, a relentlessly positive attitude, and a passion for student success in the classroom.

All students can develop a love for learning. I am passionate about my students and the knowledge that they bring with them to the classroom. At the beginning of the year, I get to know students through interest surveys, candid conversations, and through their peers. I use this information to plan lessons to build on students’ strengths. This builds confidence and provides students with a successful learning environment.

Students deserve a classroom climate that is welcoming, respectful and safe. It is very important that my classroom becomes a safe haven for all students. While I was student teaching, I worked with many students who had rough home lives. In the classroom, I made sure that students knew I could be a shoulder to cry on, an arm for a reassuring hug or just an ear for listening.

Students are not just an empty vessel, waiting to be filled with information. I use hands-on activities and cooperative learning in my classroom. During my student teaching experience, I allowed students to discover science with their hands. Students created “Oobleck” and discovered the attributes of liquids and solids without my having to fill their heads with knowledge. Cooperative learning was effective in the classroom because it allowed the students to practice social situations and to learn from each other both socially and academically.

I will build a positive, safe, and respectful learning community where students will develop academic enthusiasm and become lifelong learners.

10. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

at the end- the same as it was before, I just didn't include it because it's already up at the beginning.

11. smalltowngal

Feb 8, 2009

Sounds good!

12. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

Thanks so much STG. I REALLY appreciate all of your help!

13. smalltowngal

Feb 8, 2009

No problem!