Cover Letter Help

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by WayOutWest, May 31, 2006.

1. WayOutWest

WayOutWest Rookie

May 31, 2006

I am preparing cover letters for several schools that I would like to work at. However, I am missing some information. The district job posting site does not say specifically what schools have openings in my field (special ed. para). I called a few schools and they don't really know if they have openings yet either.

Question is, how do I write the first paragraph of a cover letter if I don't know if there are openings or not?

Can I just act like there is an opening and hope for the best?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 31, 2006

What I normally do when there isn't something posted is just write something like, "I am writing to express my interest in an elementary-level teaching position within the _______ Public Schools"

4. WayOutWest

WayOutWest Rookie

May 31, 2006

So, here is what I worked out so far. Any thoughts/advice/criticisms/grammar mistakes??

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Contact info
    Contact info
    Contact info
    Contact info

Dear ******************:

According the to Boulder Valley School District (BVSD) job postings, there are openings for paraeducators in special education and special skills aides (COTA) at many of the BVSD schools. I would like to be considered for any of the openings that may become available at ************** High School.

Over the course of three summers at Camp Barnabas (see enclosed resume), I gained valuable experience working with mentally and physically disabled. I have instructed and supervised students comprising a wide range of ages, conditions, and severity of disabilities. From my experience at Camp Barnabas, I understand the demands of supervising and teaching special education students. As a counselor, I was responsible for the daily care of six to ten campers. Responsibilities included hygiene, meals, and any other required care. More important than the technical skills my experience has equipped me with is the patience and creativity I developed working with special education students.

I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss in person the possibility of employment at *************** High School. I can be reached at any time at ***-***-**** or by email at ******@***.***. I am also available for an in person interview at your convenience.

Thank you for considering my resume. If you have any questions regarding my experience or scheduling an interview, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 31, 2006

I think it sounds good. :)

6. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 31, 2006

Sounds great to me!
    When I send out blind resumes, I follow the same first sentence as Beth. My second sentence tells why I like the school or district - just a blurb really to grab attention.

7. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 31, 2006

What about changing the opening line of your letter to "In a recent review of the ******** school district employment section, I noticed that there may be some openings coming up for ***** etc..
    I don't know if I would start off with "According to..."

Just a thought, I think this way sounds a little bit better? But you decide...

8. WayOutWest

WayOutWest Rookie

Jun 1, 2006

Hmm...I think I like that, I will fiddle with something similar.

It also got me to re-read my first sentence and realize that I actually said...

"According the to Boulder"

....which is not right.

BTW, there is another sentence in there I was not sure about. Anyone with exceptional grammar skills who can help me out with the grammar of this sentence.

"I have instructed and supervised students comprising a wide range of ages, conditions, and severity of disabilities."

I am wondering if "severity" should be "severities."

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 1, 2006

I think it was to long you lost me in the first paragraph. This isn't perfect but I tried to shorten it.

Mr./Ms blah blah
    Superintendent of blah school
    rest of address

Dear ******************:
    I am requesting consideration for a special education para professional position in the something School District. I hold a Bachelors degree from (where ever) in (your degree). In addition, my experience spans (age range to age range or grade to grade) as a counselor.

From my experience at Camp Barnabas, I understand the demands of supervising and teaching students with special needs. My experience has equipped me patience, creativity, and compassion for those with learning needs.

Enclosed is a copy of my resume. Please feel free to contact me at (your phone number) if you have any questions or would like more detailed information. Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials and consider me for employment with your district.

Best Wishes (or Sincerely),

10. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 1, 2006

Wayoutwest, How about:

My work experience includes instructing and supervising students between the ages of _ to _. These children had a variety of conditions with varying levels of disabilities.

11. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 1, 2006

severity of disabilities