Cover Letter Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mommyre, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

I posted this in another thread as a revision, but haven't gotten a response... Tell me what you all think.

I would like to present my resume for consideration with your school system. I currently hold a Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education and recently completed a Master of Arts in Teaching with a concentration in Special Education. I am North Carolina certified in Elementary Education, and have taken and passed the certification exams for Special Education Learning Disabilities. I believe strongly that all students have the capacity to learn, though the capacity and rate of learning differs with each student. I have one year classroom experience teaching fifth grade, and my classroom was largely Learning Disabled or English as a Second Language. Working with these students has influenced my decision to pursue my degree in Special Education.
    By reviewing my resume you will find that I am a dedicated teacher with a strong desire to learn. In October, 2009, I left my position for both personal and academic reasons. I felt that I needed to take some time out of the classroom to further my education and enhance my teaching abilities. Since leaving my position, I have tutored ESL students on a volunteer basis and worked with a compensatory education program at ABC Community College, as well as teaching and tutoring at XYZ Community College. I have greatly enjoyed working in a small group setting, but am ready to return to the classroom.
    My greatest strengths include my willingness to give individual attention to students as often as possible, my understanding of learning disabilities from a personal perspective, and my desire to learn as well as teach. I create lesson plans that give students multiple opportunities to learn the material through a variety of experiences. I believe strongly in the philosophy that students each have their strengths and weaknesses regardless of their academic ability. Each student has something to bring to the classroom and should be a valuable asset to the classroom. Multiple Intelligences and Learning Styles theories greatly influence my style of teaching.
    As a young student I was diagnosed as having a learning disability and was also labeled as gifted. My exceptionalities give me a different perspective on teaching and learning than many teachers have as I understand teaching methods for students with disabilities and academic difficulties, as well as an understanding of student experience with these labels. I not only empathize with students who may have a variety of labels, I have also learned a great deal about overcoming them personally and as a teacher.
    I look forward to hearing from you about the opportunities available in your school system. I would appreciate the opportunity to interview with you to discuss the ways in which I would contribute to your school system.

3. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

Please? Some constructive criticism would be great.

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

Personally, I might shorten it by one paragraph or so.

In October, 2009, I left my position for both personal and academic reasons. I felt that I needed to take some time out of the classroom to further my education and enhance my teaching abilities.

I would leave this out. No matter how you word it all it says is that you left your position during the school year. When you get an interview, you can explain it.

My greatest strengths include my willingness to give individual attention to students as often as possible, my understanding of learning disabilities from a personal perspective, and my desire to learn as well as teach. I create lesson plans that give students multiple opportunities to learn the material through a variety of experiences. I believe strongly in the philosophy that students each have their strengths and weaknesses regardless of their academic ability. Each student has something to bring to the classroom and should be a valuable asset to the classroom. Multiple Intelligences and Learning Styles theories greatly influence my style of teaching.

I might try to highlight an area of your teaching in this paragraph. You seem like you have too many parts of your teaching in one place. I would talk about a lesson where you used multiple intelligences.