Cover Letter help, please!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by badgerbacker, Mar 19, 2007.

1. badgerbacker

badgerbacker New Member

Mar 19, 2007

Hi,
    I am a new teacher looking for a job. I really struggle writing cover letters and would love any advice you could give me. Thanks in advance!

Dear Ms. XXX:

It is with great interest that I am applying for elementary or middle school teaching positions with the XXXX Area School District. I share the district’s core values of respect, honesty, responsibility, and kindness and it would be a privilege to work for your district. I am confident that my experience and skills would be an asset to your students’ learning and development.

As a positive and dependable educator, I am able to adapt easily to change, which is key to working with students of all ages. Due to these qualities, many teachers request me when they need a substitute teacher. I am able to develop rapport with my students by getting to know them as individuals and showing an active interest in their lives. When I was student teaching my cooperating teachers commented on my strengths in these areas. As a substitute teacher, I am welcomed back by many students who value the respect I showed them when I was in their classroom.

The fact that I returned to school to earn my teaching certification demonstrates that I set goals and I am able to accomplish those with dedication. This is evidenced by my high grade point average as a returning professional pursuing a new career. As a parent, I have deep respect for the importance of education and respectful relationships with students.

I would welcome the chance to meet with you personally to further explore this possibility and my qualifications. I can be reached at my home most evenings at (xxx) xxx-xxxx.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 19, 2007

Pretty good Badgerbacker!!

I could feel the sincerity in your letter. You need a comma after "when I was student teaching,"

The fact that I returned to school to earn my teaching certification demonstrates that I set goals and I am able to accomplish those with dedication. This is evidenced by my high grade point average as a returning professional pursuing a new career.

I'm not sure I would use space in a cover letter to talk about how you set goals. Others may disagree though.

As a positive and dependable educator, I am able to adapt easily to change, which is key to working with students of all ages. Due to these qualities, many teachers request me when they need a substitute teacher. I am able to develop rapport with my students by getting to know them as individuals and showing an active interest in their lives. When I was student teaching, my cooperating teachers commented on my strengths in these areas. As a substitute teacher, I am welcomed back by many students who value the respect I showed them when I was in their classroom.

"As an energetic and dependable educator, I am able to adapt easily to change, which is key to substituting and working with students of all ages. I am great at developing rapport with my students by getting to know them as individuals and showing an active interest in their lives. When I was student teaching my cooperating teachers commented on my strengths in these areas. Due to these qualities, many teachers request me when they need a substitute teacher. I am also welcomed back by many students who value the respect I showed them when I was in their classroom.

Not sure if I like the last sentence. Maybe they should be welcoming you back for more than the fact you showed respect.

I hope this helps a little.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  4. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Mar 19, 2007

I think you would have much better flow, if you changed your WHEN's to WHILE's. For example "When I was student teaching" to "While I was student teaching,..." and

respect I showed them when I was in their classroom. To "Respect I showed them WHILE I was in their classroom"

There are a few places you could tweak the sentences a bit, other then that it looks great!

5. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 20, 2007

I would not put :: I am available most evenings. That suggests you are not available. I would just state how you can be reached not when or where.

6. badgerbacker

badgerbacker New Member

Mar 22, 2007

Thanks for the help! I'm not sure about that last sentence either...I'll have to work on that.