Cover Letter Help Please

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lenore7188, Feb 2, 2012.

1. lenore7188

lenore7188 Rookie

Feb 2, 2012

Hi Everyone,

I earned my SS English Teaching Credential last summer and I have been job searching since. I have had some family members and friends review my cover letter. However, none have a background in education. I would like any suggestions that would make my cover letter stand out from the crowd. Thank you in advance for your time and advice :).

Dear _______________,

I am delighted to seek a secondary English teaching position within your school district. I believe that my enthusiastic work ethic combined with my sincere passion for both the English language and teaching will add to your strong educational program.
    I believe that my role as an educator is not to simply teach students English, but rather help students identify and realize their potential for academic achievement and personal growth. I aim to achieve this by aiding them in the development of their essential learning tools and skills using various cooperative learning strategies.

Through my teaching experience with different populations I have learned that encouraging students to use their higher level thinking skills, while making content both accessible and exciting aids in students’ ability to learn.

I believe that it is vital for teachers to nurture a love of learning in their students. This will not only help them become productive adults but also contribute to a more prosperous future for all. I wholeheartedly believe that teaching is one of the most important and rewarding professions and I would feel blessed to be able to practice this amazing profession in your school district.
    Please contact me at your convenience to set of a meeting so we can discuss how my qualifications would suit your educational program’s need in greater detail. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2012

It seems to me that you have lots of buzzwords, but it's a little thin as far as concrete examples go.

As someone doing the interviewing, I would much prefer one or two examples of times when you accomplished what you say you believe a teacher should accomplish.

Share a story or two (student teaching is fine) of times when you DID all those things.

4. lenore7188

lenore7188 Rookie

Feb 3, 2012

I hope this sounds better :).

Dear _______________,

I am delighted to seek a secondary English teaching position within your school district. I believe that my enthusiastic work ethic combined with my sincere passion for both the English language and teaching will add to your strong educational program.

Through my teaching experience with different populations I have learned that encouraging students to use their higher level thinking skills, while making content both accessible and exciting aids in students’ ability to learn. While student teaching at __________ High School, in _________ CA, I was able to make the novel The Grapes of Wrath relevant to my students daily lives. Most of my students were on free and reduced lunch and came from a Latino background. While studying this novel I brought in recent news articles about the recession and reemergence of “Hoovervilles” to aid in class and group discussions. This enabled my students to compare and contrast the conditions of the great depression to that of today. I also used this unit as a way to discuss tolerance and systematic racism in a safe environment. It was very rewarding for my students to discuss the times they have been discriminated against because of their race, gender or socioeconomic status.

I believe that my role as an educator is not to simply teach students English, but rather help students identify and realize their potential for academic achievement and personal growth. I aim to achieve this by aiding them in the development of their essential learning tools and skills using various cooperative learning strategies. One example of this was the poetry unit I designed for my sheltered class at __________ High School. I had my students work in cooperative learning groups to first create their own poems with an overarching theme using clippings from magazines. After my students experienced their own success at poetry I was able to teach them several poetry terms and structures. I concluded this unit by having students return to their original teams to analyze and present a Rudyard Kipling poem to the class.

It is vital for teachers to nurture a love of learning in their students. This will not only help them become productive adults but also contribute to a more prosperous future for all. I wholeheartedly believe that teaching is one of the most important and rewarding professions and I would feel blessed to be able to practice this amazing profession in your school district.

Please contact me at your convenience to set up a meeting so we can discuss how my qualifications would suit your educational program’s need in greater detail. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

5. AFine

AFine Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

Dear _______________,

I am delighted to seek a secondary English teaching position within your school district. I believe that my enthusiastic work ethic combined with my sincere passion for both the English language and teaching will add to your strong educational program.I don't know if this will make sense, but I feel very skeptical that you are truly passionate about the English language. Maybe you are passionate about reading, writing, grammar, literacy, etc, but are you passionate about the English language?

Through my teaching experience with different populations, I have learned that encouraging students to think critically, while making content both accessible and exciting aids in students’ ability to learn. While student teaching at __________ High School, in _________ CA, I was able to make the novel The Grapes of Wrath relevant to my students' daily lives. Most of my students were on free and reduced lunch and came from a Latino background. While studying this novel, I brought in recent news articles about the recession and reemergence of “Hoovervilles” to aid in class and group discussions. Students could compare and contrast the conditions of the great depression to that of today. They could also discuss the intolerance and systematic racism they had personally experiencedin a safe environment.

My role as an educator is not to simply teach students English, but to help students identify and realize their potential for academic achievement and personal growth. I believe cooperative learning helps students discover their unique skills and prepares them for the workplace. At __________ High School, students in my sheltered class worked in cooperative learning groups to first create their own poems with an overarching theme using clippings from magazines. After experiencing their own success at poetry, I was able to teach them several poetry terms and structures. I concluded the unit by having students return to their original teams to analyze and present a Rudyard Kipling poem to the class. Were the students motivated by this strategy? Were there gains? Explain what is so great about this in a good wrap-up sentence.

I would feel blessed to be able to practice this amazing profession in your school district. Please contact me at your convenience to set up a meeting so we can discuss how my qualifications would suit your educational program’s need in greater detail. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

6. lenore7188

lenore7188 Rookie

Mar 8, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. I think my letter sounds less awkward.

I have another question about my cover letter. I student taught at two different schools but only included my experiences at one. The first school had a lot of resources and the kids came from very affluent backgrounds (most kids drove Mercedes and BMWs). I also taught an honors class at this affluent school. Should include this experience in my cover letter and take out one at my second school?. I feel that my second school was more typical as to the challenges I would face as a high school English teacher, but I am afraid that omitting my first school looks bad.