cover letter help - how do I word

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by luv2teach444, Jun 4, 2017.

1. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 4, 2017

my last job? I was hired in January as a Pre-K teacher & thought that was it. Turns out in May I was pink-slipped - she said she lost a unit. SOOO back to hunting for a job.

ANWAY - I'm updating my cover letter - what do I say...do I mention the first 1/2 of the year? I was a regular sub, then did an interim from Oct - Dec. Then I moved over to the other school in Jan - May - I was a hired teacher (salaried). I'm assuming I don't mention that I was pink-slipped, just that I was the teacher?

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 4, 2017

I don't think your cover letter should discuss previous job details, like when, where or for how long. All that information is in your resume. Try to look back on your time running your Pre-K classroom and see if you can come up with a story or two where you made an impact on student learning or success. An anecdote about a specific child can be very powerful. Tell that story in your cover letter.

phillyteacher likes this.
  4. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 5, 2017

okay - I need to change that - I had comments on what I learned while subbing (flexible, etc)
    Now to figure out an anecdote - those are SOOO hard for me! I have a kiddo who struggled with his name all year & finally got it the week before we got out - but that's they only hugely memorable thing for me

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 7, 2017

if you post your cover letter draft on here, people will post things to help you with.