Cover Letter for LTS -- Please Provide Feedback

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Michael S., May 31, 2009.

1. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 31, 2009

Just a quick background on me. I have been substitute teaching since Mar 08. I have worked in the field of childcare since I was 16 (usually summer jobs, then more permanent after I graduated highschool). I am now 19 years old. I am applying for a LTS position for be put in a pool of candidates in a county outside of the one I sub (the one I sub for hires LTS as they are needed and it's more or less about being in the right spot at the right time). I am currently working towards certification in Elem. Ed. by attending community college.

------------------------------------

Your Human Resources department has advertised two job openings for which I am particularly interested in. I am interested in becoming a long term substitute teacher for either Elementary Education or Physical Education. Both of the positions are advertised as an area in which a pool of candidates will be created. I feel that my years of experience working with diverse groups of Baltimore youth, makes me a qualifying candidate. Please consider me for those positions and any others that you feel I am qualified for.

As my resume will demonstrate, my career in the field of education is just starting to unravel. However, I feel that my extensive job history of working in the fields of education and childcare as well as that of other part-time positions to help support myself has helped impose a strong work ethic upon myself. My experience in the childcare field has offered me experience working with children in both academic and self-enrichment environments. Meanwhile, my experience as a substitute teacher has been an invaluable and irreplaceable experience. It has helped me develop many skills varying from classroom management techniques to Maryland’s voluntary curriculum. My continuing college education has helped me develop a strong background, but I would not be so confident in myself without my dedication and will to continuously learn and grow.

I would like to have an opportunity to work as a long term substitute teacher because it will help me strengthen myself as an educator. I enjoy working with children because there is no greater satisfaction in life than to know that you have helped somebody else grow, mature, and develop as an individual.

I would enjoy an opportunity to talk with you or someone from your department to see where my experiences and personality would best suit all parties involved.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

I wouldn't use the word unravel. It sounds like it's coming apart.:)

However, I feel that my extensive job history of working in the fields of education and childcare as well as that of other part-time positions to help support myself has helped impose a strong work ethic upon myself. --- this sounds weird

but I would not be so confident in myself without my dedication and will to continuously learn and grow. --- You need to say this is a more positive way. You are saying that your experience, etc. don't count for much.

Good luck!

4. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 31, 2009

Alright, thanks. I will make those changes. Whenever I write something I always think it is perfect, but the way I read something may not be the way others do. But, once I get those opinions, my thinking does change. So keep them coming please. ;)

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

Cover letter is too looooooooong.
    Remember your COVER LETTER is to make them WANT to just OPEN UP YOUR RESUME and READ MORE!
    It's just an intro that should be SHORT AND CATCHY and it's your 20-30 seconds SALES PITCH of YOURSELF.:D
    If you have the same info on your RESUME then you don't need to have it also on your COVER LETTER.
    Rebel1

6. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 31, 2009

What do you recommend I remove? I don't want to take too much out as I feel that they won't want to look much farther than my education (because I am still in college). What would be safe to remove without making me look empty and inexperienced (which I really don't feel I am in comparison to new teachers who may just have four years of college education and that's it).

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

I don't know yet. If YOU MAKE IT SOUND CATCHY THEY WILL LOOK AT YOUR RESUME! What is on your resume? I'll bring up the page about a COVER LETTER that was discussed a while back so you can see. Hope it helps.:)
    I will check back with you later.
    Rebel1

8. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 31, 2009

Rebel, I went ahead and PMed you the content in my resume. If anybody else is interested in helping, please contact me and I can PM you too.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 31, 2009

Not to be a "debbie downer," but have you checked on the qualifications for a LTS. In my state, you have to be licensed in order to rewarded a LTS since you are essentially doing the job of a licensed teacher.

If it is different in your state, Good Luck and I hope you hear back quickly.

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

I pretty much just wrote a basic cover letter for you with a bit of your info in there here and there. I feel like there are parts of your cover letter that dance around what you're wanting to say or ask. Just say or ask it.

11. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 31, 2009

I am eligable. They take degreed and non-degreed LTS. If it is a position that is going to be extremely long though, they prefer the person to be degreed.

emmakate218, thanks. The sample yoy provided was great. I will definately use your model to revise mine. I just have never had to write a cover lette before really and a lot of the sample cover leters out there are for experienced teachers/teachers with degrees/other career fields.